Feds 'black-bagging people' in Portland

My response.

– is the thread open again? Sure looks like it. Hope it can stay civil enough to stay that way.

Going by the updated article, there seems to be some significant question as to what this will mean in practice. But it looks as if a negotiated way out of this may indeed be possible; and, with some facesaving noises involved, maybe the federal forces will back down.

Why a “phased withdrawal”?

Was it a “phased insertion”?

I’m not putting you on the spot thorny locust…it is the link you gave and I doubt anyone here has an answer beyond, “It makes it look like they are retreating from a warzone.”

Just put them all on a few busses and gone. Simple as that. No “phased” anything unless one bus leaving ten seconds behind another counts as a “phase”.

I think the idea is that if they don’t leave all at once, it won’t look so much like defeat, even though that’s exactly what it is.

Here’s a bit of coverage from Portland:

I’ve also seen photos of Portlanders (including demonstrators and allies) cleaning up debris each morning.

Portland has a pretty downtown!

Good article from Politifact:

"Portland goon squads were Blackwater contractors not federal officers.”= False

We found no publicly available evidence that employees from Academi, a private military firm formerly known as Blackwater, or related companies have been deployed to quell protests in Portland instead of federal officers.

That’s so civic minded of them to clean up a fraction of the mess they made.

Anyways, look at the destruction of Minneapolis after the riots there to understand why a federal response to the lawlessness is necessary when the city and state choose to allow the destruction of property and random violence.

It would seem reasonable to conclude that the people who made the mess are different people from the ones who are cleaning it up.

Unfortunately, those who make the worst mess and the most damaging environmental impact aren’t going to lift a fucking finger to clean up after themselves. Typical.

As I said the Feds were causing most of the problems:

But in the absence of the federal officers, Thursday night’s protest passed off without major incident or intervention by the police.

A good start, let’s see if it lasts, hopefully unlike Seattle.

Try again?

Flagged as SPAM

Huh? What was flagged as SPAM, and why?

Looks like it was removed. The post that was removed, was spam from a new user, first post. I posted flagged as spam so hundreds of people didn’t flag it and lock the thread.

Ah. I wish there was some kind of placeholder there to show that your comment wasn’t directed at MissTake.

Once it’s flagged, the content is hidden/ignored. We don’t need to post a notice anymore.

Sorry, didn’t know that. I have seen threads closed due to multiple flags. Maybe that is multiple people flagging multiple different posts. Learn something new everyday. :slight_smile: