Fighting ignorance the (somewhat) harder way: Responding to the latest Obama email BS

I’m so used to responding to email-spawned bullshit with a single link, like to Snopes, that when I got the latest (some horseshit about Obama not being a citizen) and there was no pre-made denial to link too, I was momentarily flummoxed.

Then I realized I could do it myself. With a little searching, I found that the law referenced in the idiot email did not apply, and my common sense told me that it could not apply, since the Constitution defines citizenship.

I did not open this to debate or describe the details of the latest worthless crap email, I’m just pondering how dependent I’ve become on others doing the debunking for me, and how I’m a bit proud of doing one myself.

The Obama campaign has its own Fight the Smears website. They will not be willingly beaten by fear and smear.
http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/fightthesmearshome/
If you get a new smear that isn’t there, you can send it to their watchdog address. watchdog@barackobama.com

Why on earth would he not be a citizen? What a strange claim. Did they say he was born somewhere other than Hawaii?

Yeah, the rumor - which I only heard about in a story about Obama responding to rumors like this - is that he was actually born in Kenya.

Following AskNott’s link, here’s a link directly to Obama’s birth certificate.

The rumor I got was different from the Kenya one. What the heck, here it is:

Of course, Obama was born in Hawaii, and according to the 14th amendment of the Constitution, all persons born in the US are citizens. Since no law can override the Constitution, it would take a Constitutional amendment to deny him citizenship.

Even if a law could override the Constitution, the law referenced in the email is applicable to people born outside the US, not natural born citizens like Obama.

Well, that it was from well-known pseudointellectual Thomas Sowell tells you pretty much everything you need to know.

This was the first time I did a reply-all with a debunking, usually I just reply to the sender to save embarrassment. But this guy has sent out a lot of crap lately, and it’s time he starts showing some restraint.

Nitpick: All persons born in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof are citizens.

That qualification excludes children born of diplomatic representatives of a foreign state and children born of alien enemies in hostile occupation (should such ever happen).

Obviously, Senator Obama is neither, and is a natural-born citizen.

I wonder how much of this is down to people thinking that Obama was born in Hawaii before it became a state. Hawaii gained statehood in 1959, and Obama was born in 1961; close enough that someone who doesn’t know the dates or is too lazy to look them up might get them mixed up.

But was it from him or are you also swallowing bogus e-mail cites because of your own prejudices?

Well, I did a search & found no evidence that he wrote this, though Sowell has written a good many articles critical of Obama.

Btw, “pseudointellectual”? Let’s check his resume’.

http://www.tsowell.com/cv.html

EDUCATION:
Ph.D. in Economics, University of Chicago, 1968
A.M. in Economics, Columbia University, 1959
A.B. in Economics, magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1958

EXPERIENCE:
Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, September 1980 - present
Professor of Economics, U.C.L.A., July 1974 - June 1980
Visiting Professor of Economics, Amherst College, September- December 1977
Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, April- August 1977
Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, July 1976 - March 1977
Project Director, The Urban Institute, August 1972 - July 1974
Associate Professor of Economics, U.C.L.A., September 1970 - June 1972
Associate Professor of Economics, Brandeis University, September 1969 - June 1970
Assistant Professor of Economics, Cornell University, September 1965 - June 1969
Economic Analyst, American Telephone & TelegraphCo., June 1964 - August 1965
Lecturer in Economics, Howard University, September 1963 - June 1964
Instructor in Economics, Douglass College, Rutgers University, September 1962 - June 1963
Labor Economist, U.S. Department of Labor, June 1961 - August 1962

PRINCIPAL PUBLICATIONS:
On Classical Economics (Yale University Press, 2006)
Black Rednecks and White Liberals (Encounter Books, 2005)
The Quest for Cosmic Justice (Free Press,1999)
Conquests and Cultures (Basic Books, 1998)
Migrations and Cultures (Basic Books, 1996)
The Vision of the Anointed (Basic Books, 1995)
Race and Culture: A World View ( Basic Books,1994 )
A Conflict of Visions (William Morrow, 1987)
Ethnic America (Basic Books, 1981)
Knowledge and Decisions (Basic Books, 1980)
Say’s Law: An Historical Analysis (Princeton University Press, 1972)

I accept your apology.

I got this one recently.

Obama is the Antichrist

I, for one, can not wait to see his rebuttal of this one on his website.

Obama is only five years older than I am. Wow. I should probably figure out what I want to do with my life at some point.

Maybe people are seeing his father’s race as “African” and making a leap from there - I know I had to look twice at that.

I like the Snopes link for the Obama as Anti-Christ link - “Status: False.” Heh. Take that!

Snopes may say that Obama is not the Anti-Christ but trust me, I’m the only one who knows for sure that he is not the Anti-Christ.

First, Obama was born in one of the 50 states to a woman who was a native-born citizen of the U.S. I’m not voting for him in November, but he is DEFINITELY as validly American as anyone, and is definitely eligible to be elected President. (Or was Hillary just too nice to make an issue of this?)
More significantly, I have searched in vain for any indication that Thomas Sowell ever wrote anything like this. Look at his own web site, and you won’t find any article like the one cited.

I’m willing to bet Sowell never wrote it.

Wow, I got quite a reply from one of the people who got my debunking via reply-all.

The name of the sender has been omitted to protect the insane. (I reproduced the italics and underlining manually)
But he does say at the end:

so it’s possible he’s not serious.

If only certain of my relatives (one aunt in particular) believed anything Snopes had to say. I used to send her there, until she blew up at me. How dare I try to change her mind with facts!

I doubt that Sowell wrote it either. False attribution is a pretty common tactic.

I was surprised to read that John McCain was born in the Panama Canal. There must be quite a story behind that.

I think I’m going to be sick.