Finally, the rest of King of the Hill will be released on DVD—starting this month!

I’m a huge King of the Hill fan, and have always been disappointed that only the first 6 seasons (out of 13) were available on DVD. Those 6 were released by 2006, so it’s been a long while with no new episodes available.

But 20th Century Fox recently sold the rights to an outfit called Olive Films, and they’ have announced that the rest of the series will be released on DVD starting with seasons 7 and 8 this month. Amazon has both available now pre-order. The release date is Nov. 18th.

I can’t wait!

That’s interesting considering all 13 seasons are available for download from iTunes and Amazon.

“Bobby, if you weren’t my son, I’d hug you.”

Just FYI: For some reason Fox never aired season 13’s episodes 20-23, they were first shown on Cartoon Network…I remember I hadn’t heard it was cancelled and was waiting for the 14th season premiere that Fall and they suddenly announced that what they’d be showing was in fact the series finale! I assume the last five episodes got pre-empted the previous Spring due to sports (that happened to KOTH all the time, Futurama too) so they just showed the last one for closure.

Doubly annoying because that final episode was pretty lame. Standard ‘Bobby tries, fails, Hank makes him try harder, fails, then in the end Bobby succeeds’ episode they’d done a million times. Except for the tacked-on epilog it wasn’t special at all…

The epilogue actually revealed Boomhauer’s job, which was a nice Easter egg.

“Get outta my house. Itain’tmuchbut it’s all I got.”

But that actually contradicted another episode, sort of:

In the episode where Buck Strickland’s mistress is killed, they call in a different Texas Ranger

Then again, if Luanne could go from 18 to 21 while Bobby never got any older (and no, he didn’t just keep being held back in school), they are allowed to retcon things a little.

Besides, the show suffered from “current events dating syndrome”; in one episode, Hank is in the 1996 Olympic torch relay, but in another, it’s the year 2000.

I thought Bobby started as an 11 year old and ended up at 13?

I tell you what!

They also completely retconned Peggy’s mom’s backstory. In the great first season episode where she has to teach sex ed at Bobby’s school (and I think another episode detailing how Hank contracted Mono while he & Peggy were dating) it’s clearly shown that she grew up in Arlen. Later they changed it to her having grown up on a ranch in Montana and later moving to Texas (and being very estranged from her mom).

Bobby never growing aside, you do have to give them credit for having Joseph’s voice change when he turned 13 (it was originally done by the same woman who did Bobby, the great Pamela Segall from Louie). Also in the season after the Megamart explosion cliffhanger Luanne’s hair takes the whole year to completely grow back. Pretty unusual for an animated show.

Character age and time did pass, just slowly. It seems like the show takes place over 3-4 years, but has a sliding timescale.