Firefox bookmark toolbar buttons don’t work (Ubuntu 12.04)

I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed as a virtual machine (Win 7 host). Everything works well, except something seems to have gone wrong with Firefox. The toolbar buttons display correctly—and even ‘push’ when clicked—but nothing happens. Nothing looks unusual when checking the buttons’ properties. I tried Googling a solution, but all I can find are instructions on how to make the toolbar appear, not fix its buttons. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rhythm

[I am responding here to bump the OP. I’ve no clue.] I would toss out the probably unrelated observation that since FF started automatic updates at v13.x I think, persons have been vexed by curious little happenings here and there e.g. curious sporadic Adobe problems. Maybe you got one of these recent sporadic FF glitches.

There really aren’t any specific instructions for Ubuntu, but I can give you the basics.

Try restoring your bookmarks from a previous date. If that doesn’t work, disable all your plugins and extensions, and restart Firefox. If that doesn’t work try reinstalling Firefox. If that doesn’t work, try resetting Firefox.