First Terminator: Genisys Trailer

You know what, it’s not going to be a REAL Terminator movie, but it might be entertaining.

And I thought Jurassic World looked dumb…

Yeah, it looks pretty bad, but the last scene at the end was pretty entertaining. Hopefully enough moments like that will overcome the general stupidity.

The CGI on the T-1000 (?)'s metal spikes looked really bad. Must’ve been done by the same company that did Wolverine’s claws in Wolverine Origins. Jason Clarke as John Connor? Ugh. And Emilia Clarke seems pretty terrible… she’s alright as Dany in Game of Thrones, but I’m starting to think that she’s actually not that good of an actress.

Listen, and understand, Khalisi. That film is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until the franchise is dead!

So they’re really sticking with “Genisys.” Are they trying to appeal to moms who name their kids Jennyfer? I don’t get it.

Sweet Jesus, that looked godawful.

I guess the fact that the Godzilla remake was actually good means that we’re now doomed to suffer seven years of shitty remakes, reboots, deboots, retcons, prequels, reimaginings, and story jams.

Meanwhile, if you want a Terminator movie that’s actually entertaining to watch and does something new with the concept, enjoy this trailer for a no-budget filmed-live-on-stage play that recreates the plot of Terminator 2 using nothing but dialogue from the works of Shakespeare. (A link to where you can download the full film is included in the trailer if you’re so inclined.)

You don’t get the “clever” twist to the spelling? “Sys” as in “system”? I’m guessing the changed the second “e” to an “i” so people wouldn’t pronounce it “jean-sis” or something.

Hey, Genisys did what Nintendidn’t.

That’s … awesome.

I liked Terminator Salvation.

There, I said it.

And you can expect a visit from a killer robot from the future for it, no doubt.

I’m willing to give this new movie a chance.

Salvation was bad, but at least they tried to do something with it other than yet another rehash of the time-travel plot. I even kinda liked the third instalment, but I don’t really feel the need to watch a fourth movie worth of robots chasing people through the streets of LA.

I thought the trailer looked cool. Not amazing, but quite cool.

It’s like someone put Terminator, Terminator 2 and the the 1950s section of Back to the Future 2 in a blender with bad acting.

I may need to buy that.

I LOVED Terminator:Salvation.

I’ll be at Genysis with a bag of popcorn.

Looks to be made with modern day TV-grade special effects. If it weren’t for the appearance of Arnie, I’d have suspected that they were just making it in order to prolong a contract or something.

Maybe Arnold is bankrolling it as a vanity project?

Anyways, I’m not too hopeful that it will be good. But maybe it will be sufficiently bad to be good.

At least they didn’t stick a number in there. This being the fifth film in the franchise they could have replaced one of the letters S with a 5.

I didn’t think the trailer was that bad. But I am confused. Is this a reboot? A remake? Or something else? Does it fit into the existing continuity?

I was actually pretty excited by the trailer.

The Terminator series has been a frightful mess from the first sequel onwards. Despite the many problems, there have been some very enjoyable moments in each of the sequels, and the sheer brilliance of the original movie has gone a long way to carry the franchise along and place it well within the cultural zeitgeist.

What excited me about the trailer was that it drew heavily from the first movie, which I think is a good sign. I was also impressed with Clarke’s acting in the trailer - not that she was all that great, but she’s clearly at least a few degrees better as an actress than we have seen in Game of Thrones. And she does a pretty passable impression of Linda Hamilton ca. Terminator 2.

Probably, this new movie going to be as awful as it is going to be awesome, just like every attempt since the first movie. But, judging by the trailer, this movie will at least reference and play with the tropes of the first movie enough that it will be fun to watch.

There’s no way that any subsequent work can recapture the pure thrill of watching the original the first time, but this trailer has me hoping that it will be a worthy bit of enjoyment, even if most of that enjoyment is because it reminds me of that original experience.