Fish heads, fish heads, roly-poly fish heads

Who on EARTH did this song? It’s on a compilation tape of weird stuff given to me by an ex-boyfriend. Great tape - includes “The Scotsman”, “Existential Blues”, “Der Führer’s Face”, “The Homecoming Queen’s got a Gun”, “Poisoning Pigeons in the Park”, Mae West doing “Twist and Shout”, Jack Webb doing “Try a Little Tenderness”, William Shatner (you knew this was coming) doing “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”, and a bunch of others. But he didnt write who does most of 'em! “Fish heads” has eluded all my efforts to track down the (using the term loosely) artist’s name. Can anybody help me out?

Ass-Toaster Extraordinaire, SDMBSRC

Barnes and Barnes

This was done by none other than Billy “Will Robinson” Mumy under the name already mentioned.

He was also a veteran of some classic Twilight Zone episodes, including the “Cornfield” episode (“It’s a Good Day.”)

::ahem:: (singing)
“Took a fishhead to a movie…didn’t have to pay to get it in”

Great song, great video :slight_smile:
Zette

Love is like popsicles…you get too much you get too high.

Not enough and you’re gonna die…
Click here for some GOOD news for a change Zettecity

Sounds like a Dr. Demento compilation. When I was a part time DJ in college in the mid eighties the most coveted item was the vinyl albums of the Dr. D. show, even more so than the King Biscuit Flour Hour. Sadly the Demento show is no longer heard on broadcast radio and only available on webcasts.

The first time I heard Fish Heads was in the film Mr. Mike’s Mondo Video. around '80

Roly poly fish heads are never seen drinking cappucino in Italian restaurants with oriental women…yeahhh…

The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go.

To diverge slightely, have others heard two versions of “Existential Blues” (an all-time fave of mine)? My tape is from an 80’s Dr. D. radio show, and the “complete” version on it was all I’d ever known. In recent years I got a Dr. D. CD with the song and found it had been butchered, with individual lines and whole sections edited out. It made the song very choppy, ruining the lovely flow of consciousness, and omitted some of the best parts. I’d have to put some thought into listing the specifics, but in general it seemed that everything that could be considered “copyrighted” (like much of the Oz stuff) had been cut out, I assume because someone’s lawyer wrote a letter to T-Bone. Anyone else know anything about it, the how or why?

The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go.

The only edited down version I’ve heard is the one that excludes every occurrance of the line:

“To dream-the imposs-ible dream

I believe I have the same compilation as the one mentioned in the OP, but damned if I can remember its title.

Mr. K’s Link of the Month:

What is John Kricfalusi (“Ren and Stimpy”) doing these days?

The Goddamn George Liquor Program

Fish heads fish heads
Roly poly fish heads
Fish heads fish heads
Eat them up, yum!

Ask a fish head anything you want to
they won’t answer they can’t talk.

Fish heads fish heads
Roly poly fish heads
Fish heads fish heads
Eat them up, yum!

I took a fish head out to see a movie didn’t have to pay to get it in.

Fish heads fish heads
Roly poly fish heads
Fish heads fish heads
Eat them up, yum!

They don’t play baseball
They don’t wear sweaters
They’re not good dancers
They don’t play drums!!

Fish heads fish heads
Roly poly fish heads
Fish heads fish heads
Eat them up, yum!

Rolypoly fishheads are never seen drinking capachino in Italian restaurants with oriental women!!!

Yeah!

Fish heads fish heads
Roly poly fish heads
Fish heads fish heads
Eat them up Yum!

Princess of the Time and Space Continuum since 1969 (upgraded to Goddess 01/07/00)

Senior S.S.D.A., SDMB Self-Righteous Clique =^…^=

For all you Dementions and Dementites:

They’re coming to take you away;{HA-HA}
They’re coming to take you away;{HEE-HEE}
To the Funny Farm,
Where the men in white suits come out to take you away. {HA-HA-HO-HO-HEE-HEE}

Oh, and Brithael bites.

For excessive smiley useage:
“Cancel the kitchen scraps for widows and orphans! No more merciful beheadings!! And cancel Christmas!!!”

My all-time favorite, as well. I have a version that I taped off of the radio around 1986 or 1987 that I THOUGHT was complete. It certainly mentions all the Oz stuff. What other specific lines are missing from the edited version? I gots to know! I’d hate to think that what I’ve been listening to all these years was, in fact, a watered down copy of the original.

The reports of the good doctor’s demise on broadcast radio are premature. A current station list is located at: List Of Stations Broadcasting The Dr. Demento Show

“Fish Heads,” according to Dr. D himself and his video collection (I bought a copy in The Wherehouse in Torrance, CA, years ago) is the all-time most requested demented title he has ever played.
I live in Los Angeles, CA (area code 310) and have not heard Dr. Demento’s show for about two years (off KLSX, most recent). :frowning:

Ah, memories…

I remember teaching this song to my grade eight classmates.

Someone would randomly start singing a line, soon a veritable frenzy occured. Teachers were baffled.

Thank you, Scarlet Pimpernel, Thank You.

My sisters and I love that song. When we start singing it, anything can happen, and all sorts of bizarre permutations have occured. The most recent had us singing it with German accents. “Roly-poly Fischkopfen are never seen drrrinking Cappuccinos in Italian restaurants viz Oriental vomen! Ja!”

An infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickup trucks shooting an infinite number of shotguns at an infinite number of road signs will eventually produce all the world’s great works of literature in Braille.

Son of a. . .

I just got the reference from Zork: Grand Inquisitor.
– Sylence

If a bird doesn’t sing, I’ll wait until it sings.

• Tokugawa Ieyasu

I always liked…

Dead Puppies,
Dead Puppies,
Dead Puppies aren’t much fun…

They don’t come
When you call…
They don’t chase
squirrels at all…

Dead Puppies aren’t much fun!

(I think that was Barnes and Barnes, too, wasn’t it?)

Voted “Most Popular Small Appliance” on the SDMB 1999
(ok, so I made it up!)
Chrome Toaster

I remember that from Saturday Night Live, years ago.

Also reminds me of “Oh No Mr. Bill” < splat >

Forgot to mention that Real Audio versions of many of the songs covered in this thread, including Fish Heads, Dead Puppies, and Existensial Blues are on-line at: Brento’s Jukebox #3