Flouncers and Their Steeds

So we’re okay with trolling now?

Anyway I loathe this new format but more than that I’m so disgusted by this shit it makes me want to stay away. Between this stupidity and the snotty “Sorry you can’t move past formats from the 80s” I’m pretty much done here.

Welcome to the fucking pit,
The forum where you can saying fucking a lot.
I was going to ask, “Can you fucking read?”
But decided that would be over the fucking top.

I was gonna say something nasty to you @ASL_v2.0, but that’s not who I am.
I feel sorry for someone who cannot just be glad most people are trying to learn the new board.
Some posters have declared their own misgivings and frustration and you’re are picking on them, for no good reason that I can see.
Maybe, just cause you can?

Why does it give you pleasure to ridicule folks?
I’m very disappointed in you.

I think I see what’s going on here. It’s like veganism; the OP feels like “flouncers,” to use his term, are posting that they’re leaving specifically to shame or otherwise look down their noses at those who stay. “You idiot cattle may be satisfied with this objectively stupid and unworkable board software, but I am not. Farewell; if you have any sense or intelligence, you’ll follow me.”

Do you not get the difference between people declaring their “misgivings and frustrations” versus people starting a thread, or even just making a post to say, “This place sucks, I’m leaving!”?

One group (the latter only) is the target of this thread and, unless they’re straight up lying, will never see it. If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is standing in the path of its fall, is anyone really hurt?

Congratulations. You took a topic that most people might have agreed with, and then picked maybe two of the worst examples.

Neither of them flounced. One of them said they were out until a moderation decision was resolved. It was resolved, so they’re back. The other said they are “kinda giv[ing] up on the SDMB, I guess.”

We’ve had actual flouncers–who, yes, sometimes come back. They get made fun of when they do. But this weakass shit isn’t flouncing.

Not it wasn’t. Not per their… “stipulations.” Not that I think it necessarily should have been, either, but then this is the Pit and I have no intention of discussing moderator decisions here.

The other said they are “kinda giv[ing] up on the SDMB, I guess.”

Right, flouncing.

I will admit that when I see a post that says “this new board sucks, I hate it so much, I don’t want to post here anymore!” or worse, “inline images? Nu-uh, this board is for extremely refined text based communication. Let’s go to the 1920s style quarry and throw 1. Shit 2. Salt 3. Hi opal! Down there” my reaction is, “good; go and don’t come back”. But I also recognize that telling people so is kind of a jerk move, which is why I roll my eyes in silence and move on with my life (much like the flounders should do if they encounter an animated gif in the wild).

Hi Thorny, it’s nice to have you here. I haven’t paid much attention to the ASL guy, but seem to remember thinking, “Hmmm… he’s pretty pugnacious” more than once.

Hi ASL, as Big T mentioned, flouncers do often get mocked here — so I don’t think this thread is an outrage. And you are correct that GraysenCarlisle did not get his biggest demand met. But, if he’s back, I’m very glad. He organized a great thread recently on how to use the new board software. And I understood his frustration in ATMB, I posted a message on the same issue, calling it the worst bit of moderation I’d ever seen on the SDMB.

But, I like to give our moderators a lot of slack. They’re volunteers, they get a lot of abuse, show huge amounts of patience, and often the people who complain the loudest about them are posters that I would never want as moderators. No way in hell. I’m glad that Mr. Carlisle calmed down. It was admirable. It was the right thing. It wasn’t capitulation, it was maturity.

Am I the only one who hears this in Jar-Jar Binks’ voice?

The folks who say they’re leaving because they’re frustrated with Discourse will probably end up hanging around. They’ll give it another try and it will gradually get easier. I can sympathize; I know what it’s like to be struggling with something while everyone around you seems to get it intuitively. (I still have nightmares about the time I was talked into going to a contra dance, which I was repeatedly assured was SOOO EASY.) Let’s be nice to them.

The people who viewed the SDMB as the internet’s last bastion of glitz-free, text-only normality may be less likely to de-flounce. They see the switch to Discourse as a surrender to the kool kids with their memes and tweets and animated GIFs. Still, many of those flouncers will probably return—after a few weeks of playing Tom Sawyer and searching the board for signs of anguish over the loss of a Valuable Poster. I’m cool with making fun of them.

The people who never return generally leave without making an announcement.

I will allow Sergeant Hulka to summarize for me

Meesa bombad Doper! Meesa no liken flouncing!

…is what I might say to the people who have gone and said they’re leaving and this place sucks,etc, etc, etc. but of course they’d never read it, because they’re committed to leaving, after all…

ASL posts some good stuff. I was glad to find him over here.

I can’t speak to the two people mentioned but I am with the OP in general. I hate it when people throw a big hissy fit and say they are leaving forever. More often than not they are back in a week or two.

Yes, that’s the typical timeframe. For example, in this case, the de-flounce was in eight days.

I was thinking the Olsen Twins.

(Sorry Beck!)

I think you mean Jodie Sweetin, it was Stephanie’s catch phrase.

Yeah, we’re speaking different languages here if you think saying “kinda give up” means the same thing as saying “This place sucks and I’m leaving!” Not only is “giving up” not necessarily the same thing as leaving, but they put “kinda” in front of it, which means “almost, but not really.”

And, sure, GreysonCarlisle didn’t get exactly what he wanted, but it’s clear his post was a protest of moderation that quite a few people thought was beyond the pale. Of course he’d come back if that were resolved.

Heck, JAQ combined both of those. They said they “think” they “probably” won’t post here anymore, and said it was because how shitty the forum was. And it was shitty back on June 22. They’ve improved it significantly now, so why wouldn’t JAQ give it another chance?

We’ve had some actual flouncing threads. I’d link at least one if Google’s index wasn’t messed up since we moved. I hope someone else who remembers more can link some, so you can see what I mean.

In every one of those flouncing threads, you seem everyone being mocked. So it’s not that the SDMB is okay with flouncing. It’s just that we don’t generally count this weak shit as flouncing.