Flowbee haircut by a complete novice

Congrats!

No before and after pics? :frowning: Wouldn’t mind if your face was blurred/covered, if you want. Just want to see how it looked.

Ever since I started wearing my hair short I have wanted a Flowbee. I often say that what we really pay barbers for is to keep the pieces of cut hair far away from our homes. That stuff is as stubborn as glitter, and incredibly stabby.

But the only place I could find a Flowbee was on E-bay. so I figured I’d be SOL once the first set of blades wore out. Can you tell from looking at it whether they are standard trimmer blades that can be purchased anywhere?

FlowBee parts? Here you go:
https://flowbee.com/shop/

Hmm. Those are definitely not standard clipper blades, and 3-4 times as expensive. And clipper blades like the ones that fit my fancy Wahl clippers can be sharpened.

I just cut my hair naked, sweep the clippings, and hop in the shower. Loud noises bother me enough that I can’t imagine running a vacuum hose around my head.

For that matter, actual hairdresser shears work quite well and aren’t expensive - I got some for under $15 and have used them several times during quarantine to cut my own hair, and to trim around Tom Scud’s ears after I use the clippers on them, and have lent them out to my mom so she can cut her own hair. It was surprisingly not horrible to cut my own hair in the bathroom mirror. I don’t plan to go to an actual hairdresser for a long time, so it was a very worthwhile purchase.

I have one. Here’s an awful video I made. The haircut itself was fine. I’ve used it several times.

I was expecting somebody much younger based on your avatar!

The camera subtracts 56 years.

(That’s my granddaughter’s first birthday.)

My PSA for today: if you have a Flowbee DON’T follow the instructions to apply oil to the blades before each use. I’m told my mother did that and gummed up the works so bad they had to replace theirs. I understand applying oil maybe once each half dozen uses is more than adequate for the purpose.

Looks like you’re in illustrious company:

Came here to post that! I watched his interview on CBS this morning and as someone that has cut their own hair for years…my ears perked up.

As long as they don’t do that while you’re cutting around them…

I saw that this morning. And it reminded me I was due for another cut. So I gave myself one today. Just like Mr. Clooney.

I wonder why he cuts his own hair? If anyone could afford a team of stylists it’d be him.

Maybe it’s not about money. Pre-pandemic, I would pay someone to cut my hair. It was always an uncomfortable situation for me, kind of a forced intimacy I did not like at all.

Thanks to COVID-19, I’ve learned how to cut my own hair and so I’ll never have to have someone else do it. Even if I won The Mega-Millions tomorrow, I’d still be cutting my own hair. Maybe this is another thing that Mr Clooney and I have in common.

I have used a Wahl trimmer several times to cut my hair several times this year. It’s turned out decent, and I am getting faster at it each time.

Due to an unfortunate incident at the barber shop when I was a child, I now count every haircut as “good” as long as it does not involve getting the edge of my ear snipped by scissors.

I have seen some articles speculating that Clooney was joking, due to his history of jokes and pranks.

I don’t know. When you look at his hair in the interview it looked EXACTLY like a Flowbee cut.

Having actually seen the interview now, Clooney didn’t sound like he was joking. He stuck to his guns when the interviewer expressed disbelief.

if he is in a movie there would be hair and make up, so in between movies i’m sure it is easier to deal with his flowbee.

Postscript two years later: after purchasing a Flowbee shortly after the OP, I continue to give myself haircuts and am well past the break-even point on the purchase price. With shipping and everything it cost around $180 at the time. Figure $20 saved per haircut every eight weeks or so. It provides perfectly adequate no-nonsense haircuts. I don’t regret the purchase.