Folks with a Wii...what are your favorite games?

Just got a Wii this weekend for the kids and I’m looking for some good games to play on it for them (and for me and the wife as well…surprisingly I’m actually enjoying playing on this thing for the first time in a long time with a console type game system…even my dad was playing it and he hates games!).

I was thinking of maybe some sports games, perhaps a better golf and bowling game than what ship with the console…maybe an action game or adventure type game.

What are your favorite games for the Wii and why do you like them? What games really show off the game controller? What games leave you trembling and sweating with exhaustion? :slight_smile:

-XT

The best action game on the Wii, without a doubt, is Resident Evil 4. It makes perfect use of the Wii controls, it’s tense, exciting, and cleverly put together.

Can’t tear mtyself away from Geometry Wars; Galaxies. OK, its not a family game, its a lonely-man-trying-to-beat-his-high-score game, but hey, its exactly what you thought games were going to be like in the future.

Super Mario galaxy was voted game of the year by at least one game-rating organization that I know of, and I think it deserves the title.

I started on Paper Mario last week and it’s been a hoot. I also have been digging Harvest Moon off the Virtual Console.

Word of caution re: RE4. It’s most definitely not suitable for younger children, and may even be a little bit disturbing to older children - or squeamish adults, for that matter. The Boy found it to be a very entertaining game that made good use of the controllers, but I stopped playing very quickly because I’m too much of a wuss to repeatedly shoot little old Spanish grannies in the head, no matter how zombified they are.

If you’re looking for something the whole fam can enjoy, I’d recommend both Mario Galaxies and/or Rayman Raging Rabbids. Both are composed of various mini-levels, do a great job of integrating the controllers, and Mario also has an interesting co-op mode where a younger/less skilled player can contribute (essentially, player B can collect points, boost Mario’s jumps and interfere with enemies, but doesn’t play a character of their own).

D’oh! You’re right. I misread the OP as asking for something for him to play, outside of what the kids were playing.

Pretty much anything Mario is good. Super Smash Brothers Brawl is fun too. It’s a fighting game, but it’s very cartoony.

There’s a fishing game that’s rather good, too, Fishing Master. Using the Wiimote as a rod and reel is fun.

As someone who played the hell out of the Gamecube version, is there any reason I’d want to play the Wii version?

Appreciate the responses. :slight_smile:

Has anyone tried the Tiger Woods golf game? If so is it better than the little cheesy golf game that ships with the console?

I bought the kids Mario Galaxies but I have to say I’m a bit disappointed in it. I bought the Wii to have the kids be more interactive but with that game they just sit there like nearly all other console games.

-XT

My friend (a BIG RE, especially RE4 fan) tells me there is added content. New levels and/or playable characters.

The Wii version has the extra content that the PS2 and PC versions have, like the unlockable costumes and the “Separate Ways” side mission (basically, you play as Ada Wong, experiencing the story from her POV, including getting her side of the events where she crosses paths with Leon).

The controls on the Wii also make the game play a lot differently than it did using a gamepad, so much so that while you might be familiar with the plot and events of the game from going through the Gamecube version, it feels almost like an entirely different game.

I have Carnival Games, some crappy bowling game, and the Wii Sports. I play the latter 99% of the time. I still find the controllers to be inconsisent with other games.

If you specifically want your kids to be swinging their arms a lot and stuff, I’d go for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. It’s a track and field game with, obviously, Mario and Sonic characters. More fleshed out than Wii Sports, but with similar gameplay.

Super Mario Galaxy is, without a doubt, the best game for the Wii, IMHO, of course. The two best console games I’ve played in the last year or so are that and Portal for the 360.

Resident Evil 4 is definitely fun as hell, too. It’s not Silent Hill 2, but it’s an addictive and creepy game.

Super Paper Mario is another fun game, if not a bit on the easy side and a little slow with all the exposition. Perfectly suitable for kids.

Metroid Prime 3 is the best of the first-person shooter category I’ve seen on the Wii. I’m not a bit FPS guy, but this game has a lot of variety and the way the controls handle is excellent and intuitive.

Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite video game ever, bar none. Made me smile from start to finish.

For interaction with the kids, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves is fun and very fast-paced. My wife likes Mario Party 8, but I find it a little dull.

No More Heroes is a blast, but don’t let the kids anywhere near it.

Avatar: The Last Airbender: 4 Boring

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree: 4 Fun for ten minutes

Boogie: 2 Poorly made/designed. Real shame since it has potential

Brunswick Pro Bowling:1 Spent 20 minutes trying to bowl before figuring it out.

Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party: 6 It’s an OK DDR, but no real “storyline”. Utilizes the arms too.

Elebits:** 8** Inventive and fun game. Reminded me in a tangential way of Katamari

Far Cry: Vengeance: **1 ** Horrible controls, graffics, etc.

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition:** 7** An alright game

The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy: 5 Not much of an improvement from Game Cube…but fun

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: **5 ** I tried to get into this but apparently the game takes an hour or two to get rolling. Schnoooooze.

Madden NFL 07: **4 ** Great options but difficult controls. High learning curve.

Mario Party 8: 8 One of the most played games because of the kids

Mario Strikers: Charged Football: 7 A fun spin on regular soccer.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance:** 6** A bit below average.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: 8 Good first person shooter.

Ninjabread Man 1 Very Cute concept, so poorly executed though, not even worth a rental

Happy Feet/Open Season/Surf’s Up: 4 Standard “licensed” games. Not much oomph to 'em.

Pokémon Battle Revolution: **2 ** Unless you’re working with the Nintendo DS, you’re just a guest.

Rampage: Total Destruction: 2 Horrible controls without the nunchuck. With the nunchuck it comes up from a one to a two. And I loved the arcade version.

Rayman Raving Rabbids: 9 Fun and funny. A must have game. Better as a solo game

Rayman Raving Rabbids2 :10 Fun and funny. A must have game. Better as a “party” game.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition: 10 This game sucked me in. And for the price, very much worth it.

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz: 2 This game seems to throw its feces at the walls.

Super Paper Mario: 9 This game would’ve gotten a 10 if it weren’t for the space “maze”.

Tamagotchi: Party On!:** 1** I’m not sure who this game is for. The reading was too difficult for the kids but the game play was too simple for anyone older than 8.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves: 10 Every Wii owner should have this game. The best tutorial for newBiis.

Wii Play: 2 The adage “well, it’s only $10 with the controller” and this is still overpriced.

My wife adores “Endless Ocean”. There is no dying, no killing anything, it is on your own time, it is educational and it looks great. It might be a little slow for kids, but for kids that love animals, fish especially it is great. It’s funny reading some of the reviews online, mostly things like, “I didn’t think I would ike this game and next thing I know I had spent 5 hours playing it.”

Oh yeah, it’s only $30.

I think my little girl would LOVE that. I’ll definitely check it out! Thanks for all the good feed back guys. Got a lot of things to check out. I think what I’ll do is hit BlockBuster or one of those online game rental places and get a few of the games recommended here to try out before I buy.

-XT

I will add my votes to Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. Remember when you were a kid and video games were “Wow! COOL!”? Super Mario Galaxy gets you back there. It’s not complicated, it’s not based on having the best graphics, but the gameplay is astoundingly just-plain-fun. There is a cooperative mode where a second player can assist (or annoy) the first.

Metroid Prime 3 is of a different feather, naturally. It’s the best FPS I’ve ever played. Even if you haven’t played Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2, both of which were on the Gamecube, you can jump right into this one and there’s loads of bad alien pirates to blow up. And they blow up good.

I’ll be predictable and put in another vote for Super Mario Galaxy. The game is just pure fun. The multiplayer co-op in Lego Star Wars is also a blast if you’ve got an extra Wiimote and nunchuk.

Twilight Princess is awesome, though I actually own the GameCube version. I don’t know whether the waggle really adds anything, but it’s a great game regardless.

Also, don’t forget the Virtual Console, especially if you have a couple of old 'Cube controllers lying around. For me, replaying games like F-Zero and Super Mario Bros. 3 has been one of the very best things about owning a Wii.