Folks, you don't need to correct your typos in another post.

I realize the inability to edit posts can lead to some pretty embrassing typos, but believe me, 95% of the time I don’t even notice it.

Wasn’t there some study that came out last year that said so long as a word has the correct begininng and ending letter, the sequence of the remaining letters usually doesn’t get notcied if it’s out of order?

I just did it twice. Did you notice? Even if you did, did it prevent you from understanding what I meant to say?

By the same token, coding errors happen often enough that even the most experienced typographers among us miss a trailing backslash. Don’t sweat it.

Granted, the follow-up posts to the typos are usually funny, like “I meant xxxxxx in the above post. Excuse my spastic typing. I haven’t had my morning coffee yet and I’m an idiot. Carry on.” You really don’t need to do it. A lot of us come from families where our parents kept calling us by our other sibling’s name. We know what you meant to say.
:slight_smile:

I know what you mean. It’s frustrating to see new posts in a thread you’ve been following and then when you open you find they are just someone correcting a typo in a previous post that you had just ignored anyway and then they make a second post correcting the typos in the typo correction post or just to say what and idiot they were for making the typo, correcting it and then not adding they were an idiot in the second post. And sometimes there’s an extra post to add in a forgotten smilie. :smack:

Unless you left out a huge chunk of text, a link you meant to include or your typo completely changed your meaning I don’t think it’s necessary to correct typos in later posts. Besides the really interesting ones will get quoted and laughed at whether you correct them later or not. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, I also got called by the dog’s names and I came into the family before the dogs! Is it any wonder where my self-esteem issues came from? :frowning:

I noticed. I also get annoyed by people following up with “The! I meant the, not teh!” Yeah. We know. Thanks.

However, people jumping back in to say, “NOT!!! I meant to say I’m NOT a goat-felcher!”

Yeah, I knew that, too, but I can understand the cultural imperative to set the record straight.

Could you please correct these splleings? I havent had my coffee this morning and spilling mistakes give me a haedache.

In a similar vein, nor is it necessary to correct someone for a simple typo, or make a ‘witty’ remark; that is, something along the lines of:

It contributes nothing to the thread, wastes board resources, usually is only funny to the person who posts it, and makes me think that there is continued discussion in the thread to which I am subscribed. :wink:

I’ve no idea if there was any actual research done on this subject, but I believe found the text you are talking about:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe

Must say, I was pretty damn shocked at how easily I read this. There was no significant slowdown in reading speed at all.

That said, there are times when a bit of correcting is necessary.

Back to basics , why can’t we correct our own posts ? I contribute to a UK board which uses the same software as the SDMB. On that board you are allowed to correct your own posts as long as they are less than one hour old. That is a fair compromise isn’t it ?

As an aside , I use a very useful program called* iespell * which installs a spell checker onto your Internet Explorer tool-bar and can be used for bulletin boards, on-line forms etc.

Rayne Man, the general idea is that if somebody posts something deliberately inflammatory, gets flamed, then goes back in and edits his post to be non-inflammatory, those who flamed him look jerkish.

Not letting people edit their posts isn’t to make everybody spell things right–it’s to get them to take responsibility for what they submit, because there it is in all its glroy…

I agree with the inclination for abuse post-editing would allow; but, if people are hell-bent on correcting every typo they make, the vBulletin software can be set to allow posts to be edited no more than 5 minutes after they’re made, IIRC.

I think posting to clarify a word you inadvertantly left out that may change the meaning of your post should be acceptable.

After all there’s a big difference between “I beat puppies” and “I never beat puppies.”

Or, we could all just remember to use “preview.” (Yeah, I don’t always, either.)

I must admit, I’ve been known to do the “Opps! That should be spelled …” post. It doesn’t bother me when other people do it.

I have been known to miss a typo on preview, and then notice it as soon as it’s posted. I hate that!

Having said that, I agree that not every little typo needs to be corrected (unless, of course, it does change the meaning or create ambiguity). But I think that some people who correct every typo do so in an effort to ward off the nitpick squad.

I work in publishing. It’s an immutable law of nature that when you pick up the final printed, distributed version and thumb through it, the first thing you will notice is some really stupid error. :smack:

Good point in the OP. I do however find it mildy amusing and mildly irritating that the first reply executed my personal SDMB pet peeve, which is quoting the OP in the first reply. We know what you’re referring to, OK?

Thank you, carry on.

Yes, I believe you’re right, but this has been discussed and the general consensus seemed to be that some threads move fast enough that even the 5-minute thing would allow people to create false impressions. A bunch of threads on this topic popped up when the board started to charge, if you want to go back and look for them.

Oh gosh golly, please forgive me! I hadn’t had my morning coffee yet and didn’t realize. :smack:

I was responding to two different comments and wanted to keep them separate and didn’t even think about that I might be the first post since it generally takes 5 minutes for my post to go through during which time several others have posted and then it looks like I was responding to the wrong person because I didn’t quote the OP.

Oh yeah, and my entire post was mostly silly and sarcastic, except for the part about my mother calling me by the dog’s names which is true, but I forgot to add
the sarcastic smilie and didn’t want to make another post to correct it. :rolleyes:
In fact I really hate smilies, why can’t people just know I’m being sarcastic or kidding or that I’m a happy orthodox jewish man?
Frankly, I really don’t care about the whole typo thing, yes it’s very mildly annoying especially if you think there’s actual new posts with content in a thread you subscribe to and you just wasted two minutes opening a thread because you have an ancient computer and dial-up, but in the whole scheme of things it doesn’t happen that often and it’s not really that big a deal. I was just feeling cantankerous and wanted to gripe about something so I joined in. I was just too tired to put on my tinfoil hat and go stand on the street corner to yell at people today.

I apologize again for the any offense I caused.

Do I really need to add this? :wink:

But I think that some people who correct every typo do so in an effort to ward off the nitpick squad.

Exactly. I know it might be petty but I would rather correct myself than have someone else do it. Usually smuggly. The post is usually along the lines of, “how can you have a valid point, you don’t even know how to use an apostrophe.” I wish I didn’t have to but I will probably continue to self-correct when I manage to summon enough energy to do so.

Only if I’m misunderstanding the difference between “twice” and “three times.”

I know, I know, my posts for several weeks now will be scrutinized to death, but I just couldn’t help it.

I disagree with the OP. I may gloss over the typos, but reading them without noticing is even worse. I fear I might subconsciously pick up the incorrect spelling and make more mistakes in the future.

Hence, I consider it good form when posters remedy their typos - it’s good to read the correct version with full awareness.

Then again, I’m not a native speaker, so typos and misspellings are a bit of pet peeve for me.