Food Question (You out there, Chef Troy?)

What’s the difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk?

It’s my duty; my duty as a complete and utter bastard.–Arnold J. Rimmer.

I think it’s because condensed milk has sugar added to it.

Evaporated milk is like Milk Concentrate.

Condensed milk has the consistency of syrup (or thicker) and has a lot of goodies added to make it almost sickeningly sweet. I love this stuff.

The people above are correct. condensed milk has sugar (lactose) added to it. Evaporated milk is just what it says; the water content is reduced.

Here’s a link from The Mayo Health Organization.

Sugar acts as a preservative in the same way that salt does. It’s a trick of osmosis. Bacteria that come in contact with a supersaturated solution of sugar or salt get sucked dry as osmosis causes all the water to pass through the cell membrane into the solution outside the cell. The bacterium, without its water, dies even though sugar and salt are not normally toxic to bacteria.
That was paraphrased from a “Moment of Science” show on NPR.

AskNott

"Measure twice, cut once. Dang! Measure again, cut again.

Dern you people, can’t you give me a chance to answer a thread with my own freakin’ name on it?

The above answers have it all covered.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

Thanks, guys. And you too Chef; I know your heart was in the right place.

It’s my duty; my duty as a complete and utter bastard.–Arnold J. Rimmer.

The big difference between evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk is that if you make fudge with the first, it’s really good. But if you make fudge with the second, it turns into this really bizarre, crumbly, strange tasting stuff. Trust me, I know.