Food you love, but can't eat

What’s a food you love, but can’t eat for one reason or another?

For me it’s shrimp. Love it, could be happy eating little else, but I can’t. About a decade or so ago I ate a bunch of shrimp and got all itchy all over. A few weeks later I had a bunch of shrimp again and got hives. Fortunately, crab and lobster do not have a similar effect. I’ll risk one shrimp like once a year or so, but otherwise they are totally off the menu for me. :cry:

What are yours, if any?

Grapefruit, the pink variety, chilled and cut in half, sections scooped-out with the little toothed spoon, then squeeze the half to get the rest of the juice directly into my mouth. No more since I went on the statin.

I still eat shrimp, crab, and lobster even though they all make me itch a little. Shrimp more than the others but not bad enough to make me stop. Sometimes seafood allergies aren’t specific to the type of fish and instead produce a reaction to what they’ve been feeding on or substances in the water where they live.

I can’t handle a lot highly spicy foods, and some milder seasonings also. Oregano, origanum vulgare has always been a small problem but has gotten worse lately. I’ve substituted ‘Mexican Oregano’, lippia graveolens in dishes without a problem for me, and frankly I consider it a better flavor. I have cut down way down on capsicum peppers.

I’m really lucky in this regard. Technically I shouldn’t eat (due to gout)

Beer and grain liquors (like vodka and whiskey)
Red meat, lamb, and pork.
Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, and glandular meats like the thymus or pancreas (you may hear them called sweetbreads)
Seafood, especially shellfish like shrimp, lobster, mussels, anchovies, and sardines.

But these are some of my favorite foods/drinks, so I ignore medical advice but drink gallons of water every day to keep gout at bay.

Sorry to hear it. Shellfish of all kinds are one of my favorite foods, and I’ve had a minor phobia of someday developing an allergy and being denied it. I’m glad to hear at least it’s just shrimp for you, and not crab and lobster.

This would probably be the only thing for me that fits the category. Used to be, the spicier the better for me-- bring on the Scovilles! But these days the gastronomic aftereffects are just too unpleasant. At our favorite Thai restaurant, which does not fool around when it comes to heat, my wife still orders her red curries ‘Thai spicy’ but last couple years I’ve had to settle for ‘medium plus’ :disappointed_relieved:

Red meat. A few years ago, I developed an allergy or intolerance to it. I miss real burgers so very much.

Being dentally challenged, I cannot eat popcorn any more. I can put in in my mouth and suck on it, but I end up spitting out all the chewy bits.

I can still eat most other chewy stuff (e.g., steaks, chops, crisp veg), but only if it’s mashed/ground/pulverized or cut into very tiny bits

This is kind of true for me as well. I’ll risk it sometimes, and if the source of the heat is completely pulverized (chili powder or hot sauce) there is a chance I’ll be okay, or have only minor cramps. But I can’t eat whole/chunks of the very hottest chilis without repercussions I’ve sadly decided are too severe.

My WAG is that the pieces of chili, as opposed to liquid or dissolved powder, go through the system more slowly, thus giving them more time to torture my innards.

I love, love, love a good batch of chicken livers, fried in butter and onions.

Since developing gout, this is a HUGE trigger for a gout attack. I have to balance out my desire for them, versus limping around for 3-4 days.

Why couldn’t it be broccoli? :grin:

Do you live in or have visited a Lone Star tick region, and if so, do you think it could be Alpha-gal Syndrome from a Lone Star tick bite? If so, there may be a bit of good news for you-- there’s no cure, but eventually the effects fade over time, supposedly, and you may be able to someday go back to eating red meat with no or minimal consequences.

Cantaloupe. I loved it growing up and still associate it with beloved summer. At some point as an adult I found it does something weird to my stomach. Not nausea or heartburn, but more like a feeling of having been slugged in the solar plexus. It came on out of nowhere and I can only assume it’s some kind of allergy.

Milk products. I’m not just lactose intolerant, I actually go into anaphylactic shock. I don’t care much for milk, but I love cheese and some other things, like ice cream, and cheese cake. Fortunately i can ingest small amounts of some hard cheeses, like aged cheddar and parmesan, but it’s a risk even then.

Having gone on a carnivore/keto diets and then reintroducing foods back into my diet I found that I am basically intolerant to processed corn like the kind found in tortilla chips. It puts on added weight on me like nothing else, as well as spikeing my blood sugar long term and makes me look bloated. I’ve tried salt free chips to no avail.

Being half Mexican and a lover of the food is very frustrating.

Melons of any sort.

Watermelon, Honeydew, Cantaloupe…whatever. I am also dodgy with cucumbers.

I am not allergic (in that I will not go to the hospital or need an Epi-Pen). They just make me puke. I have no idea why. My mom said it is all in my head but, I really like eating those things. I’ve never figured out the why of it.

Note: I can have melon/cucumber flavored/infused things just fine. Candy, liquor…whatever. I just cannot eat the real thing except in tiny amounts.

I grew up eating them all the time and loved them and miss them now.

I love raw carrots. As a kid, I’d grab a couple plus some ranch dressing and chow down. But even then, it would result in a stomachache. Last time I tried eating a raw carrot, I wound up doubled over in pain, so I guess I’m done. I can eat little pieces on a salad, but I wouldn’t dare do a whole one.

Grapefruit and pineapple. I used to eat one whole pineapple by myself every week, but I had terrible acid reflux and had to give up many foods, including a bunch that I didn’t love. I have now been off any medication for acid reflux for about a year and have almost no symptoms, but I don’t want to reintroduce pineapple or grapefruit and start the whole cycle all over again.

Yeah, I suspect a tick is to blame as I live in Philly. I really miss Slim Jims too.

Which statin? I’m on Crestor, a low dose, and had not heard of any issues with grapefruit. Cleveland Clinic suggests that there’s no problem with that (but notes that it might be an issue with some of the others). Statins in general seem to have oddball risks / side effects, e.g. with Paxlovid, you either can’t have the Pax at all, or must stop the statins.

My mother was put on a blood pressure medication which had grapefruit as an interaction. She was as bummed as you are - she loved grapefruit. Me, I like it fine, but rarely bother. Pitty we couldn’t have swapped those issues.

My “can’t eat”: Vinaigrette salad dressing. I prefer that to the thicker stuff, but in recent years, it causes too much throat irritation. Likely due to my long-standing GERD. Pickles cause the same problem. Dammit.

I’m also advised to avoid spicy foods and chocolate. Yeah, that ain’t happening.

Many spicy foods. Not because they do anything to me, but because I’m the only one in the family who likes the heat. So when I cook the family’s meals, if there’s a spicy option but it needs to be cooked in from the beginning (like a curry), I can’t. Or if we go to an Indian or Thai restaurant and we’re getting a table of shareable dishes, they all have to be zero or one star.

So I have a small repertoire of meals I can cook that support the addition of a healthy dollop of something after the fact. Like, posole verde, and then I pour on the green habanero sauce.