Foods that are too, too Tempting

Yeah, for your own sake it should probably stay a mystery. But I had to know…

“Your movie theater butter has no butter in it, but it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil (a.k.a. trans fats), beta carotene (a coloring, makes carrots orange), tertiary Butylhydroquinone or TBHQ (synthetic preservative that keeps the color and texture from changing as the product sits), polydimethylsiloxane (silicone based chemical that prevents foaming), and, wait for it, buttery flavoring,

Beta carotene— that’s healthy!

The rest, well…

Keep me away from the homemade Chex Mix. We’ll be fighting over it. If you want a small, cheapish batch of something similar in flavor - melt some butter in a skillet, pour in some Cheerios or the store brand equivalent, stir for a moment, add some Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, bit of salt if you need it, and stir it around until the cereal is toasty and flavorful. You could add some cayenne if you like it spicy.

Excellent recipe, but for my tastes, it really needs a LOT of wheat chex.

Never been a Chex Mix fan. But those elote corn chips sound awesome.

Referred to on Letterman as “chemical butter.” (Stress on the first term.)

The cilantro forward salsa at my favorite Mexican place

It’s fun reading these! I’m glad I’m not the only one that will over-indulge.

I thought of another one. Hostess chocolate cupcakes with the white squiggle on top. I gaze at them every time I go grocery shopping. I have managed to stay strong!

Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies.

There’s a small chain restaurant called El Patio-- there are three of them that I know of in my general area, and I’ve been to all three. They serve really good, inexpensive Mexican meals, and their complimentary salsa is like crack. I don’t know what they put in it- crack, maybe? Many times I’ve left there full to bursting because I ate so much of the free (freshly fried) tortilla chips and salsa before I got my entree.

My homemade salsa is terrific, but if I keep making it I’ll inevitably buy chips to go with it.

Well, duh! It would be like a Southerner making a batch of sausage gravy then figuring he didn’t need any damn biscuits.

Yeah homemade Chex Mix is a huge temptation for me. A family member give me a big Ziploc freezer bag of it for Christmas and it only lasts a couple days. Hers has 2 types of Chex, pretzels, cashews, and some sort of seasoning that I assume is Worcestershire.

Besides the cereal and nuggety stuff, the traditional Chex mix recipe calls for butter or margarine, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder.

The seasoned salt can vary with its ingredients.

I was in a Dollar General store picking up stuff for work yesterday. They had bags of Chex Mix for $1, so I bought one. Shared it with our bird, we both enjoyed it.