Forgotten desserts

I got to thinking about desserts that nobody seems to make any more, namely

Nesselrode pie
icebox cookies (plain dough shaped into oblongs, to be sliced/baked later)
bombes
Lady Baltimore cake or its cousin, Lord Baltimore cake
charlotte russe
floating island
Indian pudding (Hopefully it’s called something else now.)
prune whip
Bavarian cream

Why did they go out of favor? What others have I missed?

Oh, and marble cake. I haven’t seen a marble cake mix in years, and nobody seems to be making it from scratch.

Baked Alaska

Watermelon Rind Pickles (not entirely a dessert, although sweet; on my mind because I’m making some tonight!)

Jello Salads with stuff in them

Rum Cake

Lemon Meringue pie

Ozark Pudding

Ambrosia

Baked Alaska! I made it exactly once. Yum!

What is Ozark pudding?

Never heard if it, but if the name is descriptive, can see why it’s gone out of style …

I can only hear “prune whip” in Stewie Griffin’s pronunciation.

It was stewed, mashed prunes with sweetened whipped cream folded in. I’ve never had it, as Mom was more straightforward: if you needed prunes, you got 'em plain.

As you should. :slight_smile:

I’ve never had this but my first thought was “you mean that stuff in all the doughnuts?” But I just learned that "is not true “bavarois.”

I would assume this is still fairly common, but I admit I don’t stay up on desserts trends.

Is this thread limited to just desserts?

Lemon Meringue. This was my Mom’s favorite, but difficult to find. I would often confuse it with Lemon Chiffon, but learned from her that it’s not the same.

BTW, are bakeries a dying thing where you are? Here on Oahu, the neighborhood standalone bakeries have been mostly replaced by baked goods in the supermarkets and for us, the local drive-inn chain Zippys, where most (all?) locations have a limited bakery.

The last location of Dee Lite Bakery, once locally owned, but bought out by St Germain, closed it last location in 2018. Dee Lite was the home of the not forgotten, but greatly missed Rainbow Cake https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/39688040452853950/. A triple layered delight (no pun intended) of ultra light layers of guava, lime and lilikoi (passion fruit) cake with a lightly flavored cream frosting. Ono ono! (extremely delicious). The owners never divulged the secret behind the cake and others have tried to imitate it, but it’s never the same. SIGH

Do they still give prune cake in those little boxes at weddings? I used to love it and would ask anyone attending a reception to get as many boxes as possible. I’ve always wondered who made it as I’ve never seen it at a bakery or known anyone who made it.

Y’all probably won’t believe me, but I swear it’s true. When I was a kid, more than once, “dessert” was a slice of bread covered with the remaining gravy from dinner.

So, bread and gravy.

I make Ambrosia all the time.

But it isn’t a dessert, it’s a salad.

Luxury! The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

I haven’t seen a peach tart in decades. A half canned peach on a custard filled tart with some kind of glaze. My Dad wasn’t a big pastry eater, but when someone, usually my second sister, would go to the bakery, he’d occasionally order one.

Was baked Alaska ever a popular desert? I’ve heard of it, and I’ve wanted to try it for a long time, but I’ve never seen it on a menu or had it at a gathering or party, not even back in the 1980s. Was it’s heyday was back in the 1950s or 1960s?

My mom makes several kinds of these, among other cookies. She gets bored in retirement so she bakes… and bakes… and bakes…

As for the others on your list, I’ve either never had them or never heard of them. I wonder how much is a regional thing?

My MIL serves Jello “salads” with every other meal. Sorry, but dumping pre-sweetened fruits into a pre-sweetened gelatine does not constitute a salad to my mind.

As for Lemon Meringue Pie - I make a great one, and often do.

Were they ever a common treat? My grandmother used to make them, forty or so years ago, and they were heavenly; but the only other place I’ve ever found them was on the menu at the Old South Mountain Inn on South Mountain, Maryland. IIRC, Grandmother said they took a lot of work to make. Worth it, though. Soooo worth it.

Dad and his family used to do this. They called it "soppin’ ". But it wasn’t a dessert, it was just to use up the excess gravy.

You’re not by any chance from Yorkshire, are you?

Ozark Pudding

1 egg

2/3 cup sugar

2 Tbsp flour

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 cup chopped apples

1 1/4 tsp baking powder

*Dash of salt*

Beat egg and sugar until smooth. Combine other ingredients and stir into liquid mixture. Pour into greased pan (9"x9"). Bake at 350o for about 20-25 minutes, or until light brown. Mixture will rise and then fall. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves three.