Free PC game and free weekend notification thread

Yeah…this is pretty great. Usually I think free games are there to get people to buy the DLC. Few are buying the game anymore but if you get the main game you might still go in for DLC. But this seems to have the DLC too. I might be wrong but still…this is a good one.

Right - the cash-in here, would be people enjoying the old games with friends, and buying the new one on the same platform to continue with them with minimal fuss.

I’ve never played a Borderlands(except the Tale of Borderlands game).

Do these have a single-player campaign?

It does, and I played BL2 a few months ago single-player (I almost never do multiplayer). As I understand it, certain characters (e.g., the mech/inventor girl) are much easier to play single-player than other characters After finishing the campaign with her, I started playing from scratch with a sniper, and it was hard as hell, and I quit.

In this case, it’s to get you to buy BL3 and THAT DLC.

I don’t think this is evil or nefarious, by the way. You get several complete gaming experiences and if you decide you now want to invest in BL3, more power to you and good for them. But BL3 has been out for a while and they probably have all the people who were actively looking to play it. This is a chance to hook some new sales yet with games that few people are likely purchasing any longer.

Plus BL3 was one of Epic’s first big exclusives. I’m sure they paid a lot to lock that down and would like to move as many copies of BL3 on their platform now as possible.

I completely agree.

This is all fine sales stuff. Nothing to complain about here that I can see. Indeed, this is pretty decent of them.

Absolutely pick this up! Be aware that B1 is old and may look a little rough around the edges, but it’s still a great game. B2 is even better. You could just start with B2, but…well just start with B1. Pre-sequel is…well, it’s special.

Zer0, I’m assuming? Granted, I never played him solo but when I did play him I had a freaking BLAST with his chained melee attacks. I think I kicked more ass with him than any of the other characters in Borderlands. It did help to have a Siren on my side, probably…

ETA/BTW: Some of the best humor in a video game, IMHO.

This collection actually doesn’t include the original Borderlands. Hence the “Handsome Jack” Collection – only the games with Handsome Jack in them.

Personally, I’d recommend that people start with BL2 anyway. There’s not much real story to miss in BL1 and BL2’s game play is better in almost every way. Only real reason to play BL1 is so you can get a couple inside jokes and recognize some characters from the first game.

Here is the Steam page on the Boderlands: Handsome Collection.

Obviously that is Steam and not Epic but I am assuming the Handsome Collection on Epic is the same thing.

You can see all the things it comes with on that page (again, assuming this is the same and what Epic is giving away). Steams claims, bought separately, this is all worth $230. Bought as a package deal, $60.

Definitely worth nabbing for free if you can.

Oh, sure. Definitely a nice bundle. I was just making the point that (a) Playing BL1 first isn’t an option with this bundle since it’s not included and (b) This shouldn’t be a sticking point with anyone thinking about it as playing BL1 first won’t add a ton to the experience and BL2 is a better game in almost every way.

Far Cry 5 is FTP this weekend at Ubisoft. https://freeweekend.ubisoft.com/far-cry-5/en-US?ncid=287-3---1-eml-31-29-CRM--17-2-4--6----ID_79077-----&maltcode=crm_C2W_eml_email___UBISOFT____&addinfo=EMAIL

It’s not for a while, but maybe put it on your calendar if you’re interested.

The latest Total War game will be free to keep if you download it on the Epic store within 24 hours of its launch on August 13.

Total Annihilation: Commander Pack available free on GOG

Not “free” but about as close as you can get to free while still costing money: Itch.io has a bundle of 1,000 titles for five dollars. While the vast majority are indie games, there’s also stuff like indie tabletop RPGS, game engine asset packs and other stuff in there.

Obviously when you have hundreds and hundreds of games, there’s going to be a fair amount of chaff in with your wheat. Stand out titles include Night in the Woods, Oxenfree, Catlateral Damage, A Mortician’s Tale, Wheels of Aurelia, Minit, Quadrilateral Cowboy, A Short Hike, Nuclear Throne and Sky Rogue. I’ve been randomly downloading stuff and trying it out and maybe 2-in-5 wind up being titles I’d play again but your mileage may vary (and some seem like competent games, just not genres I like). Some are, of course, embarrassingly bad as well. Still, if you’re downloading random free Steam titles just 'cause they’re there, this might interest you.

Note that you do NOT get Steam keys and need to download through itch.io.

If you DON’T have $5, that’s fine. Kao the Kangaroo 2 is free on Steam until the 15th.

Geneshift is currently free on Steam.

The bundle I linked earlier is up to over 1,400 titles as more developers hop on the bandwagon.

It should be pointed out that with the bundle, you get all the games whenever you bought it - I bought in at 700 games and there’s double that now, but I’ve got access to them all.

Well that looks pretty fun as a pointy-clicky-time-killer. Does it fit that description?

ARK: Survival Evolved and Samurai Showdown NeoGeo Collection (six NEOGEO titles) are currently free on EPIC Game Store.

Thanks!

There are some add-ons for ARK that are also free if you scroll down.