Fringe - January 20, 2012

Pretty good episode. It’s funny that Walternate can’t help Peter. And getting off track for a minute, one thing that hasn’t been answered, and frankly, I don’t think can be answered, is if the machine was built for Peter and he died as a child in this timeline, then who activated the machine? Apparently the Walters built it as before, but who activated it?

OK, back on track. So, Nina is even worse in this timeline. Makes me wonder if Jones was working for her in the original timeline and the steeling the battery from her arm was staged, or if he tired in this new timeline, got caught, and now she’s using him.

Alt-Astrid was funny. On the official “spoiler” page, in an episode or two she’ll pay a visit to our Astrid. That could be interesting and entertaining.

As I’m watching this season, I start getting caught up in it, then I’m reminded, oh wait, these aren’t “our” versions of the characters, so what do I care what happens to them. I guess I should care to the extent that what happens to them may affect Peter getting back to the “real” versions of them, but I’m not as invested as I would be if it were the regular world we came to know and love.

On the other hand, watching the actors portray different versions of the characters is fun. Astrid was especially entertaining this episode. What a great opportunity for these people to showcase their talent.

The ending reveal of Nina I thought was going to be Astrid in some kind of super autistic brain mastermind moment similar to what they did on Alphas. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised since we already saw Nina acting evil.

Remember that the machine was built in the future and sent to the past. So in this timeline, since Peter was dead, it wouldn’t have been built for him to activate it.

Yeah, I was really upset over them changing the timeline, but the episodes are getting better and while Googling Fringe Cancellation I came across this interview where executive producer Wyman says,

Which hopefully means they have a plan to undo this timeline (fingers crossed).

Good point. That could very well be.

I gotta say, if they planned on undoing this timeline, they made a huge mistake spending so much time and so many episodes on it, because it has most likely caused their show to get cancelled at the end of the season. I am fast-forwarding past parts of the show, something I never did before, simply because I don’t give a shit about these characters or this plotline.

I’m not a stupid person, and I’m starting to feel like “Fringe” is too much mental work for me to follow it. My husband told me last night that there are four universes now - I totally didn’t get that, and I think I’ve seen every episode this year.

I want Monster of the Week back, with a light dusting of over-arching conspiracy plot. :slight_smile:

I want to pop in here and say Lance Reddick was on my flight to SLC from BWI last night while Fringe was on the air. I thought, ‘Gee, you’d think if he wants to save his job he’ll watch his own show.’ But I didn’t ask him that, he’d have shredded me into pieces in the name of Greater Good.

I’m sure he has a DVR.

There are?

Sort of. Since this is a new timeline you could say there are the two universes of Peter’s old timeline and then the two universes of the timeline Peter is in now.

And I doubt he’s a Neilsen family.

there _ are _ 4 _ universes!

Whats interesting to me - is it felt like this latest episode took 2 or 3 hours to play out - while the season 3 premier of Justified felt like it was over in 15 mins.

I want to see how they play this out - but its gotten old, confusing, and like anohter poster said - I don’t care that this Nina is the evil - it would have been interesting if ‘our’ Nina was evil or our other broyles was a shapeshifter (or in league with them) but these ‘twists’ seem more for the actors benefit than anything in the story.

Here’s why the executive producers say they did what they did,

So basically this whole season is, “It’s a wonderful life.”

The theory is that The Machine didn’t change time at all. What it did was shove Peter (who there’s apparently only one of, in all the universes) into a whole new parallel universe. So there’s Earth-Walter (where our Peter grew up), Earth-Walternate (where our Peter was stolen from), Earth-Walternate-2 (where some other Peter was stolen from), and Earth-Water-2 (where Walter-2 stole Peter-2 but failed to save him). The machine didn’t change time so the Earths became the Earths-2 versions, it moved Peter from the regular Earths to the Earths-2.

Which, if true, I hate.

I don’t want Monster of the Week, I want Monster-Every-Third-Week with the war between Walter and Walternate’s earths heating up and coming to a head…and resolved.

It has to be true, because if it weren’t, Peter wouldn’t exist.

Nah :slight_smile: It could easily be handwaved as “He was the cause of the change, and therefore was outside the timestream when the timeline changed and wasn’t affected.”

It’s been done in science fiction since the 1940s and probably much earlier. (See Ray Bradbury’s “A Sound of Thunder” for the classic example. The guys who stepped on the butterfly came back to the now-changed present with their memories of the original timeline. Same thing with Peter. He activated the machine and could have been protected from the time-change.)

I’m not saying it’s a good solution or an easily filmable one, but it makes the matter much less cut-and-dried.

But it didn’t make sense then and still doesn’t.

I’m a latecomer to the series, so I’m just getting to know David Robert Jones. He certainly has given this season a much-needed shot in the arm!

Agreed.

I think it’s a new timeline because the Observers remember Peter growing up.

But what gets me is, the Observers had to be the ones to change the timeline, not the machine. Connecting two universes isn’t going to erase Peter. The Observer who saved Peter from drowning deciding not to do it after Peter joins the universes is what had to cause the new timeline. And frankly there is no good reason for it.

It comes back to the executive producers wanted to show just how much Peter changed everybody’s lives. There is no good in-world explanation for it.