Frustrations as a healthcare worker...Obama's Bash

Modnote: Why are you accusing another poster of lying in P&E? You think what he posted his wrong, correct him but don’t call him a liar. Please do not do this again.

Sorry, and sorry @Sam_Stone . The forums sometimes blur together.

Do you have a cite that the average person is supposed to “lock down”?

I’d love a cite to that.

It is my belief that everyone is supposed to do that. YMMV.

It is sadder to see how the right wing media got you again, John Kerry, like Al Gore do use carbon offsetting.

Now, of course it would be better to lower emissions, and there is room to improve offsetting a lot more, but there is one big reason the right wing media refuses to believe this exists, it goes against the narrative of theirs that solving the issue “means that the left wants to send us back to the Stone Age”.

Again, not true. And what you criticized there are moderates, with less than optimal solutions, but they made/make an effort nevertheless. Both on the virus and the climate issues.

Cliff’s notes: how dare Democrats have wealth!

Well, that tears it! I’m not voting for Obama in 2024.

I want to address some of the misconceptions/misinformation I see in response to my O.P. I am NOT an expert on epidemiology, but I did have one basic post-graduate course in it (for a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree.

1. “Outside” is not a magical protection. It implies more space between people, more ambient air flow so less chance of breathing in virus. His "tent was a roof and 4 sides, it was only “outside” in the most technical sense as the video/pictures I saw showed what amounted to “inside”
  2. There is nothing magical about being vaccinated. It will protect you as your immune system has built antibodies to hopefully fight off the antigens. What can happen is you may be a carrier to someone who is unimmunized, be it their own stupid stubbornness, or worse, b/c they are too young or immunocompromised so please don’t think that b/c you are immunized that you can not still spread it. We don’t know how likely that is with Covid-19, but it is so with measles and other pathogens.
  3. I tried making it clear that I KNOW he/they were immunized, I’ve just seen it used against the “left” by the “right” as one more excuse. I’d rather they have no added ammunition to argue with me about getting sick. In the big scope of things, Obama put a birthday ahead of the optics of a situation in the midst of a pandemic. Poor judgment in my opinion even if not one new case can trace its antecedent to the party. I hope this clarifies my stance.

I wish Obama took Covid seriously, like Texas and Florida do.

…optics are objectively subjective, and the optics here are entirely dependent on who has created the narrative, how that narrative is framed, and who that audience is.

The narrative framing for the tone of this thread has been set by you. The optics of this event, for most of the participants of this thread, and probably for most of the rest of the world, are fine. The event was outdoors. Everyone was tested. Everyone was vaccinated.

You can’t live your life trying to avoid bad optics. Its literally impossible. The political opposition in America has literally created an infrastructure that peddles in disinformation and negative framing. They flood the zone with shit. And occasionally a story like this achieves traction on “both sides.”

Don’t fall for it.

A left wing website like Vox is hardly a cite in GD/PE.

Yes, but so far it looks like you ignored the report from ABC news that I linked early, that was from August 2. It was critical of Obama and reported on the changes made. Incidentally, looking at the photos from right wing sites reporting the “scandal” it shows that many of the tents’ walls were not closed and the sides of the roof had lots of openings.

You can sit back and justify the whole event as much as you want. I don’t know you but I’m guessing you are not a healthcare worker on the front lines fighting this. If you chose to save a former president a bit of embarrassment and justify it…fine. But my wife and I, and many of our collogues are watching people go on ventilators, and yes, sometimes die. The idiots who want to tell me that they won’t get vaccinated b/c it causes autism, or Covid is made up by the government, or whatever reason don’t need more ammunition… especial over an event such as a party. I’ve tried to defend the often confusing or contradictory mandates or statements as science in action, new information means changes in policy, but many “less educated” people can’t understand that. While I disagree with Republicans on virtually everything they say about Covid vaccines, I must agree with them on one thing, the left often appears very hypocritical. I WISH politics would stay out of this pandemic, I’m afraid we are in for a long winter.

Newsguard marks them as reliable.

NewsGuard Nutrition Label (newsguardtech.com)

This website mostly adheres to basic standards of credibility and transparency.

Before relying on the killing the messenger fallacy, you need to check the sources by also not depending on what the right wing media told you to think about them. BTW FoxNews.com gets also a good rating from NewsGuard, but that goes for the web news division, and they get more dings than VOX.

FOXnews,com
This website generally maintains basic standards of credibility and transparency—with significant exceptions.

…no you don’t.

My point about optics stand. This has nothing to do with the alleged embarrassment of the former president of a country I don’t even live in.

There is no hypocrisy at play here, and “the left” isn’t a monolith. And if you wished politics would stay out of this pandemic, you could start by not complaining about a birthday party that followed recommended best practice out of a “concern for optics”.

Again, this is a case where the Republicans are framing the narrative too, and really? Just now you notice that politics are affecting the pandemic? What you are doing by following their framework, it looks like one is getting advice from Al Capone on how to run a business.

I will agree with @QuickSilver here, the best way to explain is to point out that people who are vaccinated get to do more.

And let’s not even get started about “stanch” and “staunch” !!

Vox is described as a left-of center, progressive website. How about a neutral website?

And you think holding or not holding this party would make the slightest bit of difference to them??? When watching their friends and relatives die doesn’t??

How about instead pointing out to them that recommended protocols were followed?? Is that so hard to do?