Fuck Rosh Hashanah

So now, right in the middle of economic armageddon, instead of busting ass to stop the bleeding, we all have to stop and twiddle our dicks for two days to humor some stone age harvest superstition. Now, I’m not one of those atheists who normally goes around saying that religion is harmful to society, but this is an example where it IS harmful. It is completely irrational to split in the middle of a crisis because a magic book says when the sun goes down, you’re supposed to drop everything to go blow on a ram’s horn and dip fucking apples in honey for two days.

I think it’s fucking irresponsible for Congress to do anything or go anywhere until they put out this fire that they helped start (that ALL of them helped start, left right and center).

There’s absolutely no rational reason reason for it. There are more important things going on than engaging in religious rituals. I’m not paying these bitches to sit around in the dark and eat gefilte fish. I’m paying them to – at a bare minimum – keep us out of a fucking depression. No one’s going to DIE if they don’t go eat gefilte fish. They can postpone it or something. If God is really a decent, sensible guy, he’s going to fucking understand.

This is when religion drives me nuts. It’s utter lunacy to put everything on hold so we can wait for some members to perform an ancient, tribal raindance which has to be done RIGHT NOW because a magic book written by cavemen says so.

This is not an anti-Jewish rant. I would say the same thing if Congress was leaving the wildfires burning for ANY religious holiday. I don’t care if tomorrow is Christmas Day. They need to stay there and do their fucking jobs.

Even if some members of Congress insist on putting their holidays ahead of their country, there’s no reason the REST of them can’t stay there and fix this mess. Fucking lazy, shiftles, Gentile assholes.

Shana Tova.

Linkypoo?

I’m getting it from the cable news outlets. Not many linkable news stories yet, but here’s one from WSJ:

I’m not sure I agree with you about the obligation of the various Jewish politicians to skip their holiday. It would make sense to me, but I won’t dictate someone else’s conscience. (I will hold to the demonstrably foolish and forlorn hope that their constituents will remember this behavior come Polling day.)

I certainly agree that there’s no fucking reason for the rest of them to skip out. This is not the time to enjoy a sympathetic holiday, dammit.

BTW, does anyone have a breakdown for just how many people in the House are observant Jews? I’d be curious to see what fraction of the House that might be.

CMIIW but didn’t Jesus Christ ask the Pharisee’s something about if their donkey fell in a ditch on the Sabbath would they pull it out? His question got rid of challenge to him about curing people on the Sabbath. I’m no Bible scholar so I welcome someone clarifying the story. The point being that even in ancient Jerusalem some wiggle room was given for a crisis situation.

The Israeli army fought on Yom Kippur.

Yeah, I’m not sure using Jesus as an example will hold much weight for Jewish folks.

If you want to curse something, curse the asshats who put others (and themselves) in this position where they have to choose between their deep abiding beliefs and “saving the country.” This holiday is one of the holiest days of the year, it’s not like they’re escaping to celebrate Sukkhot or Chanukah. I wouldn’t complain if it were Easter or Christmas, though I would if it were All Soul’s Day.

I’m extremely unobservant, more a cultural Jew than religious one, but I understand why they are taking off. That said, I don’t see why the whole Congress is taking a break. There must be many more of my fellow Red Sea pedestrians in the Congress than I realized.

One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched. 2There in front of him was a man suffering from dropsy. 3Jesus asked the Pharisees and experts in the law, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath or not?” 4But they remained silent. So taking hold of the man, he healed him and sent him away.

5Then he asked them, “If one of you has a son[a] or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull him out?” 6And they had nothing to say.
Luke 14:1-5 (NIV)

Two thoughts. One, I sincerely hope that while they are “taking off” for this holiday, that lawmakers take the time to try and reach a consensus with the No voters. People can still talk during holidays.

Two, any observant Jewish lawmakers who are truly being faithful and not working at all during the holiday need to explain to their constituents that they will put their personal religious beliefs ahead of the needs of the American People™.

Whatever. In New York City, very little will get done tomorrow anyway. Besides, maybe it’s a good idea to take a day off.

Anyway, if there is a Corporate Book of Life, let’s hope that Chase and Citibank are inscribed.

Happy 5769.

Agree with the OP, but I don’t think quoting the bible to Jews is terribly effective. They never accepted him as the arbiter of jewish law.

Wait… is dick-twiddling only allowed now on Religious Holidays?

Man… Hubby is not going to like this …

Rosh Hoshanah is New Year’s Day. I always thought it was one of the most minor of Jewish holidays.

You know, my limited experience is that most of The American People[sup]TM[/sup] are okay with people expressing piety.

Wikipedia says 7.8 percent of the 110th Congress is Jewish. That’s 42 out of 535, and some bad rounding by whoever wrote the article. They can’t all be THAT observant and there are temples around DC and planes they can take and so on. Bottom line is that both Jews and Christians got the day off and aren’t going to give it up. So I don’t think it’s just the Jewish lawmakers to blame here.

Holy shit, I don’t think I’d begrudge Jews of one of the only happy holidays they have!

Are they taking the rest of the week off for Idul-Fitr?

Here in Brooklyn, I don’t even have to move my car for alternate side of the street cleaning.

I’m not sure why you don’t think the majority of Congress isn’t still working on this?

What does CMIIW mean? And why can’t you just take the extra 2 seconds to spell it out?

Fuck you.

So DtC, a thousands-year-old tradition shouldn’t stop Congress from going full speed ahead on solving the financial crisis, but a “debate” between two presidential candidates should? (re: your other thread calling BS on McCain’s suspension of his campaign to work on the bailout bill.)

I would say your bias is showing but it’s clear you’ve given up any pretense to the contrary ages ago.

Nope. Rosh Hashanah is one of only two days of obligation on the Jewish calendar. We can skip out on any other holiday, but G-d help us if we skip out on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.

To the OP: Go fuck yourself. Jewish members of Congress (which, BTW, includes Barney Frank, who is the Chair of the House Financial Services Committee) aren’t to blame for shitty timing, which is all this really is. And, truthfully, this is no different from Christians who take off work for Good Friday.

Robin