Celebrity Death Pool 2014

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year!“

Well, here we go for 2014! I’m Baker, your Death Mistress, ready to wield the ceremonial scythe for another year. It never hurts to list all the rules again, and there is only one minor change I have made.

The Rules:

1. You pick 13 celebrities (that’s thirteen, not ten) whom you predict will die within the calendar year 2014. If any of your celebrities dies, you score 100 points minus their age at death. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year wins the undying snort admiration of the SDMB.

2. All picks must be time- and date-stamped by midnight Chicago time, Dec. 31st, 2013. (That’s U.S. Central time, which is six hours behind Greenwich.)

3. Valid picks are not:

a. already dead
b. a fictional character
c. non-human
d. under age 18 at death, 'cause we’re macabre but not THAT macabre.
e. a registered member of the SDMB, 'cause that would be weird
f. political prisoners,
g. famous solely as a result of their illness or associated actions/events.

1. You can pick people who are 100 or more years old but you won’t score points for them. See the “Quantity Not Quality” award, below.

2. If we are uncertain about the celebrity’s age at death, we will go by the higher age (lower score).

3. Your picks must specify a name: listing “anybody from [the cast of your most hated TV show or boy band]” as a pick will be ignored.

4. Persons under sentence of death will be valid for scoring points only if they die by means other than official execution.

5. Any poster who kills or otherwise contributes to the death of any celebrity mentioned in this thread is disqualified. It’s just a game, people. The only exceptions to this rule would be deaths caused by those posters serving as members of the police or armed forces of any country, in the line of duty.

6. Editing your choices: be careful! You can make changes to your list before the end of the year, but it has to be clear which names are your final choices. It might be advisable to submit one or more “alternates” with your list, in the event that one of your picks dies during December 2013. If you have no alternates, and one of your picks has died the remaining twelve will be all you have. You may have no more than 13 picks. If you pick more than 13, or if any of your picks is otherwise invalid, I may ask for clarification. Otherwise, I will submit the first 13 names on your list. Do me a favor: check twice, post once.

We have no rule about submitted lists having to be unique, despite claims of “copying” anyone else’s list. We will just turn up our noses at you if you do this. Sharing news of celebrities in ill health and whatnot is up to individual posters.

We have no rule about valid SDMB memberships (disqualifying members who have been banned). If you submit a list and then change your username at some point, please post this news on the thread so I know who you are.

We have no rule about what constitutes “celebrity,” because it makes our heads hurt to think about this. HOWEVER, if you DO have a question about whether or not someone’s choice qualifies, please, I’d prefer a PM about it to start off with, rather than thrashing it out in public and possibly causing resentment. Remember, it’s only a game!

Some celebrities have common, identical or similar names. It is helpful to be specific.

Spelling counts! Please try to spell celebrities’ names correctly. Names that weren’t originally spelled in English can be tricky, I know, but if you aren’t sure of a name, try looking at what a major news outlet, like CNN or the BBC, uses.

One new thing, starting this year for 2014, is that while all deaths garnering points must occur during the calendar year, I know that a death might go unreported for a day or so. So, I will not total points for 24 hours after 12/31/2014. If you find that one of your picks died, say, late on 12/31/2014, and you didn’t hear about it until Jan. 1, 2015(this is a not so subtle hint to check your lists)then post a cite by midnight, Jan. 1, 2015, and you will get your points. After that you will be out of luck.

Additional awards:

The “Opening Kickoff” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the first listed celebrity to die in 2014.

The “Quantity Not Quality” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the greatest number of celebrities who died, regardless of their actual point value.

The “Inside Track With the Grim Reaper” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who had the most unique picks that died.

The “Robbing the Cradle” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the youngest celebrity to die in 2014, but see rule 3.d.

The “Final Hours” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the last listed celebrity to die in 2013.

List Format:

There is a spreadsheet that allows me to post updated standings quickly and produce various other statistics. The pain is “loading” the data into the sheet. I can do each list in a single cut and paste if you use the following format and guidelines: present a plain, unnumbered list that contains just the celebrities’ most commonly used names (e.g. use “Al Gore”, not “Albert Gore”), correctly spelled. If anyone is known by initials, include a period and a space after each. And please observe, what I, Baker, refer to as the “Pope” rule, a variation on “the most commonly used name” request above. If a person is known primarily by a titled name, please use that. So it wouldn’t be Jorge Bergoglio, it would be Pope Francis. And don’t put down Elizabeth Windsor, put down Queen Elizabeth II. For all I know there are other celebrities with the plain names. If you do pick George or Lizzy, under their lesser known names, I might not notice it, to give you those points if and when they shuffle off this mortal coil. However, if a titled person gives up that title during a year, by resignation or abdication or whatever, then should they die during that same year, you will still get the points.

An example of a plain list follows here:

Charles Manson
Keith Richards
Zsa Zsa Gabor
Fidel Castro
Ariel Sharon
George W. Bush
Muhammad Ali
Fred Phelps
Abe Vigoda
Kirk Douglas
Clint Eastwood
Dick Cheney
Bill Gates

However, I know that many of you like to include commentary within your lists, such as:

Zsa Zsa Gabor(on her last leg)
Fidel (I’m not dead yet!) Castro
Ariel (I’m not dead yet either!) Sharon

That is fine - it adds to the entertainment. But if you do that, please also include the list again in plain format for me to copy & paste.

Have fun, sickos, and ** “May the odds be ever in your favor!”**

I’ll just walk off humming my favorite tune.

Psst! 2014

I’m actually ready with my list, but given it’s a repeat of my 2013 list, minus the ones who died, I’m going to wait until probably the last day in case I need to make substitutions (with the potential for a lot).

First list of the season!
[ol]
[li]Tony Iommi[/li][li]Tommy Chong[/li][li]Beau Biden, Delaware AG and son of the Veep[/li][li]Valerie Harper[/li][li]Amy Robach[/li][li]Teresa Heinz Kerry[/li]li Gallagher, Mr. Sledge-o-matic[/li][li]Randy Travis[/li][li]Marcia Strassman[/li][li]Angie Everhart[/li][li]Judy Blume[/li][li]Lynne Stewart, disbarred radical lawyer[/li][li]John McVie[/li][/ol]
Alternates:

Mari Hulman George
Don Imus
Louis Farrakhan
Plain list:

Tony Iommi
Tommy Chong
Beau Biden
Valerie Harper
Amy Robach
Teresa Heinz Kerry
Gallagher
Randy Travis
Marcia Strassman
Angie Everhart
Judy Blume
Lynne Stewart
John McVie

I thought I’d changed all those years!:smack:

Congratulations VunderBob!

Question, O DeathMistress, since I’m new to actually playing: how are “political prisoners” defined? Especially given that sometimes people who by most people’s definitions aren’t political prisoners, claim to be imprisoned for political reasons, and oftentimes the imprisoning government denies that someone is a political prisoner even if s/he is by most people’s definitions a political prisoner.

I would assume, for instance, that Mohamed Morsi would be regarded as a political prisoner, but how about Bradley/Chelsea Manning? (Don’t need an answer for this specific case; I’m not considering Manning for my list, but she’s there to illustrate the problem.)

::rubs hands in macabre delight::

You know, that category is one I’ve copied from previous arbiters of this game. It’s sort of like “celebrity” in that it’s hard to define

So my ruling is that if the person being held, or we Dopers at large, agree that it’s a political prisoner, then it is.

If there’s any question about a particular person we can discuss it by PM.

My list of immortals. I have played these in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Not a damn one of them had the decency to die. I should send them a bill for keeping them alive. I guess I’m like someone playing the lottery. Sooner or later, my numbers will come up and I’ll win big.

In no particular order:

George H. W. Bush
Barbara Bush
Lindsay Lohan
Joan Fontaine
Olivia de Havilland
Jimmy Carter
Sam Elliot
Burt Reynolds
Johnny Depp
Tom Selleck
Judi Dench
William Shatner
Leonard Nimoy

Alternates:

Alex Trebek
Chuck Norris
Hillary Clinton

I decided to make one change from my 2013 list of Celebrities Who Will Never Die. I added Miley Cyrus just cause she’s acting up somewhat, so, worth a shot. Heck, it ain’t like I can do any worse than I have in 2013

Presenting, The 2014 List of Celebrity Immortals!

David Hasselhoff
Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Mohammed Ali
Michael Douglas
Penny Marshall
Courtney Love
Charlie Sheen
Pamela Anderson
Lady Gaga
Mary Tyler Moore
Lindsay Lohan
Miley Cyrus
Toni Braxton

Alternates:
Billy Joel
Robin Williams
Michael Fox

Might as well post mine now, not likely it is going to change anytime soon. One death this year, so only one change.

Don Williams
Jim Ed Brown
Jimmy Dickens
Kenny Chesney
Tanya Tucker
Harold Reid
Phil Balsley
Jimmy Fortune
Don Reid
LeAnn Rimes
Charley Daniels
Juice Newton
Charley Pride

Alts
Kenny Rogers

Not to worry. The only possible political prisoner I was considering before you refreshed my recollection of the rules was Morsi, and I figure he fits the textbook definition of a political prisoner. So I’m good.

Posting mine early as usual to avoid missing this, I will very likely change it close to the deadline.

[ul]
[li]Politicians:[/li][/ul]
Jalal Talabani
**Nelson Mandela **
[ul]
[li]Musicians:[/li][/ul]
Daisy Berkowitz (Marilyn Manson member)
Wilko Johnson can not get help from Dr. Feelggod.
Lil Wayne, brain seizures and gangstas are after him.
[ul]
[li]Journalists[/li][/ul]
Helen Fawkes
**Clive James **
[ul]
[li]It came from Hollywood:[/li][/ul]
Good Grief!
Peter Robbins, former child actor best known for his voice-over work as Charlie Brown

Valerie Harper (Rhoda)

GoldFinger voice: “No Mister Bond I expect you to die!”
Roger Moore
Sean Connery

[ul]
[li]Sports:[/li][/ul]
Muhammad Ali
Mike Tyson

Alternates that will make me sad:
Sir Terry Pratchett - :frowning:
Chespirito - :frowning:

CLEAN LIST:

Jalal Talabani
Nelson Mandela
Daisy Berkowitz
Wilko Johnson
Lil Wayne
Helen Fawkes
Clive James
Peter Robbins
Valerie Harper
Roger Moore
Sean Connery
Muhammad Ali
Mike Tyson
Alternates:
Sir Terry Pratchett
Chespirito

Bastards - still alive from last year:mad::mad:

Theme is Criminals with added zest
Some comments for the less well known.

David Miscavige (Scientology)
Warren Jeffs
James Dobson
Tony Alamo (Sex w/minors - cult)
Joseph Ratzinger
Fred Phelps
Jimmy Swaggart
Charles Manson
Kent Hovind (Tax protester - YEC)
W. V. Grant (Tax evasion - fake healer)
Billy Graham (not the wrestler)
George Alan Rekers (Expert witness (not) - rent boy fame)
Pat Robertson
Alts:
Franklin Graham (Billy’s son)
Terry Jones (Koran burner - not Monty Python)
Richard Roberts (Oral’s son)

Clean List

David Miscavige
Warren Jeffs
James Dobson
Tony Alamo
Joseph Ratzinger
Fred Phelps
Jimmy Swaggart
Charles Manson
Kent Hovind
W. V. Grant
Billy Graham
George Alan Rekers
Pat Robertson

Alts:
Franklin Graham
Terry Jones
Richard Roberts

Still trying to decide to go with a theme or for points.

Well, alrighty then. My third time as a player:

Nelson Mandela
Rev Ian Paisley (Northern Irish politician with foghorn voice)
Nancy Reagan
Tom Baker (the fourth Doctor)
Pete Seeger (folk singer)
Geoffrey Palmer (British actor)
Ronnie Biggs (Great Train Robber)
Ian Brady (Moors murderer)
Paul Gascoigne (soccer player)
Barbara Bush
Robert Mugabe (leader of Zimbabwe)
Jimmy Carter
Angela Lansbury

Alternates:

Lindsey Lohan
Peter Buck

And the plain list:

Nelson Mandela
Ian Paisley
Nancy Reagan
Tom Baker
Pete Seeger
Geoffrey Palmer
Ronnie Biggs
Ian Brady
Paul Gascoigne
Barbara Bush
Robert Mugabe
Jimmy Carter
Angela Lansbury

Wow, nobody has Mickey Rooney. I guess he really is going to live forever.

Diminishing returns, he is worth only 7 points now.

(Says the one that has Mandela on the list, but I will change him later.)

Charles Manson
Vincent Bugliosi
Sumner Redstone
Kirk Douglas
Michael Douglas
Charlie Sheen
Paul Dooley
Mickey Rooney
Fionnula Flanagan
Frances Sternhagen
Peter Bogdonovich
George H.W. Bush
Jimmy Carter

Currently in his 10th decade as an actor. 11 wouldn’t surprise me. Keeps going and going and…like the Energizer Bunny