Game of Thrones 6.06 "Blood of My Blood" 5/29/16 [Show discussion]

Are you asking if that was CGI?

Also, we did find out that Littlefinger was telling the truth about The Blackfish. If someone can straighten me out on the names of Blackfish and the Tully who married the Frey and is now captive? Are they both Edmunds?

I usually watch alone, but had the chance to watch this episode with a group of people. Of the 5 others there besides myself, only one had any idea who Benjen was, and she was also a reader. None of the show-only watchers even realized who he was. And honestly, though I had guessed it would be him, the face reveal didn’t have any impact on me either because I forgot what the actor was supposed to look like. I just assumed that was him.

He was just never a memorable character in the show whatsoever.

Yes, thank you! The awkward dinner was by far the best scene in this episode. Sam is one of the most relatable and sympathetic characters. And I think Gilly is quite cute.

I called it back on the 4th of May. Took a few weeks longer than I expected, but he showed up after all.

Also, Arya really sucks at her job, but I have a feeling the next face going up in the hall is going to be the Waif’s.

Idiot subtitlers in the final scene, yellow text against a predominantly yellow background with no outline. Poor show from a show with production values like GoT.

Agreed this seems more of a placeholder episode, hopefully now Arya is not pretending to be no-one, Arya Stark can get off and do some things that Arya Stark wants done.

Also, either the mummers are minor characters just for this plot point that will make no further appearances or Bianca is not guilty. If we revisit the troupe, then it’s clear Arya used some threadbare evidence to finger her.

When people say an episode was “boring” what they mean is no one died. A lot happened in this episode:

Arya renounced the Faceless god once and for all.
Dany got her dragon back safe and sound. He was pretty badly injured last we saw.
Benjen returns and he’s half White Walker.
We got confirmation that Little Finger was being truthful to Sansa about the Blackfish.
The Crown is now a pawn of the Sparrow.

And that’s just off the top of my head. Some thoughts:

I liked the Sam story. What a piece of garbage his father is. One thing though, didn’t Sam leave Castle Black before Jon learned Valerian Steel kills White Walkers?

Talk about Class Rivals. The blond girl can’t wait to try and kill Arya. Yeesh.

I joked last week but I really think I might watch an Acting Troupe spin-off. At least it could be a web series.

I am pretty sure The Queen is faking her conversion. She has been manipulating men since she was introduced. Now she is trying to work the Sparrow.

Westeros becoming a Religious Dictatorship is an interesting development. Unlike the Queen, Tommen is all in. Having someone tell him what to do is all he ever wanted.

Don’t confuse plot development with entertainment. A lot happened but most of it was confusing and dull. Oh no, Brandon is doomed! Nope, Deus ex Benjen. Arya gives up on being an assassin but we all knew that was going to happen. Tommen goes cult for reasons that aren’t very well fleshed out, and certainly not entertaining. Walder Frey mumbles in a dark room.

Sam and Gilly really were the most entertaining storyline in this episode, even though comparatively little was developed.

So Nikolaj Coster-Waldau really did ride that horse up the steps, didn’t he? Looked real and kind of cool.

Super disappointed she did not kill the lady. I thought she was going to, no matter what.

That would mean she was no longer Arya, she would just be “no one”. She’d be completely removed from the plot and just become a nameless assassin for hire.

We saw his shadow flying around earlier this season.

Jon learned that at the battle of Hardhome, then returned to Castle Black and granted Sam permission to go south with Gilly and the baby. Er, toddler. It appears to have grown significantly since they were on the boat.

Well, I didn’t recognize the actor, so more fool me.

I can’t believe that Meera got as far as she did dragging Bran. Unless the wights alternate from shambling zombies to fast zombies.

I expected his father to decide as soon as he saw him that he should die for breaking his oath to the Night’s Watch by fathering a child.

Neither is an Edmund.

Catelyn’s brother: Edmure Tully

Catelyn’s uncle: Brynden Tully (the Blackfish)

Catelyn’s father: Hoster Tully

I’m not sure where the Sam and Gilly story line is ultimately going, but I can see his father coming to retrieve the sword, and Sam is forced into a trial by combat, where he uses his new mad skills and defeats his father, and regaining his heritage.

Ultimately who is Arya going to hook up with, Dany or Yara/Theon. She seemed to be taking an interest in the Tryion aspect of that play and that means a boat ride is in store for her.

With only four episodes left in the season, its time they started picking up the pace.

Declan

Yes, of course a horse can go up (and down) stairs, assuming the steps aren’t so narrow a hoof won’t fit or so steep it simply can’t drag its weight up them. It doesn’t really take ‘training’ more just give the horse a chance to experience them so they aren’t some “Whoa! Scary new object!” thing.

Really, what are stairs but a rocky hillside? And a nicely, safely regularized one.

It’s a cow that can go up—but not down—stairs, right?

I was thinking that Sam’s father would send a note to the Citadel to let them know that Sam violated his oath but your idea is more dramatic.

As far as Sam has come, it would be silly for him to be able to win a one-on-one fight with an experienced fighter.

I think its little brother who is going to be the one who gets it, not Randyll Tarly.

I almost wondered if the swords and insults was a secret test of character. Sam was really really meek when we first saw him (“I yield, I yield”. He has a lot more backbone now. The not so subtle putdown of his younger brother (beyond the wall, you don’t hunt, you don’t eat).

Right, though I can sort of imagine that as soon as the duel started, Sam has some sort of rage-fuelled massive swing of Heartsbane that breaks through Randyll’s sword and armor (since it’s Valyrian steel), knocking him to the ground, and then forces him to yield and publicly humiliating him. Probably not going to happen, but it would be very satisfying!