Garry Shandling dead at age 66

Reported today by TMZ and Variety.

StG

Oh no!

link

He was interviewed on Jerry Seinfeld’s Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. It aired in early Feb. Probably filmed a few months ago. Shandling indicated he had on going health problems. The interview is still up on Jerry’s web site. I enjoyed the interview and they were obviously very old and dear friends. Their shows filmed on the same lot and they often met during breaks.

RIP

Even though the HBO series was single-camera, the actual talk show segments of The Larry Sanders Show were shot in front of a studio audience, and I was in that audience once. Great fun and very memorable. Shandling was a genius. RIP.

I never got into The Larry Sanders Show but I used to love It’s Gary Shandling’s Show.

This is the theme to Gary’s show
The theme to Gary’s show
Gary called me up and asked if I would right his theme song
I’m almost halfway finished
How do you like it so far?
How do you like the theme to Gary’s show?

ETA: Didn’t he appear in last year’s Avengers: Age of Ultron as a corrupt senator? Or was that a different movie? I remember thinking he didn’t look great.

Note: Garry Shandling.

I watched several episodes of The Larry Sanders Show (HBO) on IFC a few years back. Still an absolutely amazing show.

It’s Garry Shandling’s Show (Showtime) was also very good. Meta long before Community.

I was always disappointed he didn’t do another show given the quality of his previous efforts. Even a half bad Garry Shandling Show would be better than almost anything else out there.

He was in Iron Man 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

R.i.p.
:frowning:

Going to watch the final ‘Larry Sanders Show’ tonight. Great version of ‘Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow’ at the end.

:frowning:

RIP

Any reason why he didn’t do another show after Larry Sanders? Im assuming Larry Sanders was a profitable enough show. He must have recieved offers of another project.

His appearance in Iron Man 2 as an agitated senator who wanted Stark to turn over the Iron Man technology was little more than an extended cameo, but in Winter Soldier he was revealed as being a senior level H.Y.D.R.A. member who was arrested in the denouement. Shandling wasn’t looking so good in that movie, so even though it is reported that he was in good health, it’s not necessarily all that surprising.

Count me as a fan of It’s Garry Shandling’s Show as a forerunner of metatextual references and long setups well before Arrested Development and Community, even if the execution was sometimes uneven.

Stranger

It’s Garry Shandling’s Show is a forgotten gym. There were so many great moments, including Gilda Radner’s last TV appearance and the Driving Miss Daisy parody final episode.

As a very young man he wrote for Sanford and Son.

Very sad! I remember growing up and watching his sitcoms with my folks.

Funny scene in Garry Shandling’s Show from my memory:

After being shocked by the price of a house, Garry asks why it’s so expensive. The agent responds that the view is amazing – Garry’s retort is “for that kind of money, there better be breasts pressed against the window!”

Larry Sanders was the perfect comedy, IMO. Shandling’s brilliance made TV insider crap accessible to the general viewing public without being patronizing. His casting was also genius. While I was never a real fan of Shandling’s stand-up, this show is durable enough to bear repeated watching. Sorry to see him go.

I hope someone is taking care of David Duchovny right now. His heart must be broken.

DAMMIT. I was gonna post that. :mad:

Hail Hydra.

My God! They’re dropping like flies! :eek:

I’ve worked out my funny bone there before.

RIP Garry.

Yeppers. That was my introduction to Jeffrey Tambor who has gone on to great things. Rip Torn’s role was a top-five all-time comedy character.

“Horseshit, Larry.”
“I swear I killed her in Korea.” (approximate quote)

As I have said for some time now, 2016 is coming to get everyone born before 1949.

It’s Garry Shandling’s Show was the first show I remember consistently breaking the fourth wall. One episode that stands out in my mind was when he appeared naked except for the black dot over his groin. Does anyone else remember this hilarious TV ‘costume’?