Geico Cavemen = Black Peps?

I think that may be better than the actual show.

Blacks ALWAYS get all the credit. I think they are supposed to represent hispanic’s gods damn it!

Ok, no…I didn’t really think they were tied into any race at all to be honest. They certainly don’t LOOK black (or hispanic)…they look more like, well, Europeans. :wink:

-XT

(I agree with others saying that this looks like someone who is trying to make an issue where none exists. I don’t know about the rest of you, but the irony, considering the subject of the commercials, is pretty much off the scales…)

Why AREN’T there any black cavemen, though? I don’t rememeber seeing one goddamn black cavemen character the whole time I grew up watching the Flintstones or Captain Caveman. Is this an industry-wide conspiracy or the simple conniving racism of Hanna-Barbera? Wait… those are JEWISH names. Why I oughta…

Wait. It’s my mother. I’ll put her on speaker.

Those guy’s aren’t Cro-Magnons. Cro-Magnons are fully modern Homo sapiens. If they’re anything they’re supposed to be Neadertals.

It’s pretty likely that Neadertals had pale skin since they were adapted for a northern climate. But as for their other soft tissue features, there’s no telling. And of course, it’s also very likely that the first fully modern Homo sapiens had dark skin, since they originated in Africa. So the primitive Neadertals should be white, while the advanced Cro-Magnons should be black. Except they probably wouldn’t read as either to modern eyes, but belong to “races” that simply don’t exist any more.

Neandertals were simply off the modern human scale in terms of race, and wouldn’t “look” european any more than a really dark southern Indian guy looks like a sub-saharan african except that they both have dark skin. And while Cro-Magnons were ancestral to modern Europeans they probably didn’t look exactly like modern Europeans, just like modern Native American populations don’t look exactly like modern Asians, even though they moved from Asia 10-20 thousand years ago.

Back to Neandertals, I have a suspicion that their hair patterns and facial hair would likely also be way off the scale. Lots of primate species have funny beards and moustaches and tufts of colored facial hair, and these vary widely even–or especially–between closely related species. And the theory is that these hair tufts are species markers, that evolved through sexual selection to decrease the likelyhood of interbreeding between closely related species.

So Neandertals might very well have had odd soft tissue facial features and hair that we would find bizarre and disgusting, and vice-versa.

Or just early Homo sapiens.

Early? Sorry, hey I can come back later.

If they showed Homo Erectus, the show would be canceled for sure.

The last 10 years, when, apparently, people forgot how to spell.

I’m guessing the pilot episode features some sort of shark, with someone perhaps doing some sort of jumping in the vicinity of said shark.

You are calling me on the spelling of “teh?” Hehehe.

Actually, both Hanna and Barbera were Lebanese. So they must be Middle Eastern Jews. Or something.

There was a brown ink shortage in the '70s, and they needed it all for The Cosby Kids and The Jackson Five.

Well, here’s a black cavewoman, that count? Rae Dawn Chong in Quest For Fire.

You know, I always thought that the point of the GEICO Cavemen was that they WEREN’T ‘fish-out-of-water’, but that the rest of society assumed that they WERE.

This show is going to be painful for the five minutes it lasts. Racial parallels will be observed and comparisons made, and it will die a quick, merciful death.

I’ve never heard Rae Dawn Chong described as “black” before. She’s African-American/Amerindian/Scottish-Irish/Chinese-Canadian. She’s “black” the way a CockaPomaPoo dog is a poodle.

That’s the end of season one cliff-hanger…if it makes it that long.

Any chance you’re going to answer the question? Did you write “Peps” when you meant to write “Peeps”?

I always love it when people who haven’t seen one frame of a particular upcoming TV series are criticizing it and making predictions on its demise.

Nowadays there’s a LOT of TV that goes by without me seeing it…and with very few exceptions, they all go away.