Geico Cavemen = Black Peps?

Snap.

Here’s a dictionary reference for you: Courtesy.

1. Is black the only minority?
    and
  2. What was so hard about writing “Geico Caveman = Black People?” or even better. “Allegations raised that the Geico Cavemen represent black stereotypes?”

I hate shoddy grammar. grumbles

One of the best parts of the whole campaign is that the cavemen (unrealistically) never go there. This is most evident in the psychiatrist spot - in real life, your average moron from the English-speaking world would say something like “would you say ‘so easy a black person could do it’?” to demonstrate the offensiveness of the campaign. Instead the caveman wonders aloud what if it said “so easy a therapist could do it”, making it personal to the psychiatrist - which of course is much more logical than invoking some abstract third-party group.

IMHO, Menocchio’s Gypsy/Roma analogy is spot on. That’s clearly the gag - some clumsy ad agency invokes a caricature of some group thought to be long irrelevant but then surprise, they’re not.

Is it OK if she considers herself black?

Is it okay if she considers Tiger Woods black?

Nope. But surely someone can define themself.

I think you can make a version of Godwin’s Law about the probability of black people arising in discussions of racial issues, even when the “race” is extinct.

Oh, and what genius runs the Geico advertising department? First the gecko and now the cavemen? These guys are brilliant.

Someone can define herself or himself. But themself?

While you’re at it, make up a corollary about the perverted envy that’ll later be expressed by other minorities for this unwelcome status, and the misguided resentment towards blacks themselves because of it.

I was trying to remain gender-neutral. I didn’t know how else to do it. :smack: