George Lucas is a racist

Also look at the snide commentary that LuKKKas is trying to say about our genetics! In ESB he has a brother and sister kissing! What, are we all inbred George?

I’ve always been offended by the way that incestuous doofus Luke Skywalker’s accent is such a blatant parody of a White American accent. You’d think Lucas could get humor from something besides the stereotype of the cracker farm boy who wants to fuck his sister.

Perfect, Bob Scene!!! :smiley:

Jman

I was going to post this last night but I was working on it too long and just got tired. Also the “LuKKKas” crack occurred to me at work and I had to get that in before I moved on. Wish I had thought of it in time to use it in the thread title. Ah, well…

Denouement

Usually parody threads like this one go on until they’re beaten to death (and maybe this one already is) but I’m gonna preemptively take it out back and shoot it. I’ve made my point and I’ve had my fun. And besides, parodies when stretched out too long just get annoying and whatever point was trying to be made usually gets lost.

I am fully aware that most of the people who are criticizing the Star Wars movies on racial grounds don’t usually use arguments as ridiculous as those I presented in this thread. However to many people some of these criticisms do carry a degree of ridiculousness and that’s roundabout where my problem lies. Even though someone might be able to come up with a half-way decent argument about how Star Wars has at times been racially insensitive (and as a matter of fact I’m going to do just that) it will get drowned out among the accusations that New Zealanders are negative ethnic stereotypes of Hispanics or that a greedy junkyard owner with a trunk is an inflammatory representation of a Jew. And it’s not just with Star Wars and other movies that we see this, thinking along these lines pervades many other aspects of our culture and it’s harmful both ways, to those claiming the racism and to the deaf ears that it often falls upon.

There is plenty of racism, stereotyping and prejudices within our society and unfortunately certain groups bear a disproportionate share of these things. Also, I think, it has become a sort of battle cry to scream racism (or one of its handmaidens) when no such thing exists in a given situation. This is not to say that many of these accusations are not true (racial profiling is a handy example) but at least a few are ridiculous and a few others are wholly self-serving. As an example myself, and I’m sure many others, have heard an accusation that a person was not treated fairly by a person in authority solely on the basis of the color of their skin, when in fact it is completely apparent that the person had done something to fully deserve the treatment they received.

My little theory (well, okay, others have said it first) is that when a person or group of people receive a consistent amount of treatment of a particular sort from another group that is guided by one or a few primary motivating factors some people may begin to suspect that this is the primary motivating factor for all or much behavior towards them from all or many members of that other group. This of course leads to hypersensitivity towards that sort of behavior and it’s a short line to cross into paranoia. So, long story short, if you think that someone is targeting you unfairly based on a prejudice of some sort be very careful to try and step back and view all the factors involved in the behavior as objectively as possible. If you’ve done this and come to the conclusion that someone is being racist but don’t have any real definitive proof I think you might save a lot of trouble by keeping it to yourself and your circle of friends before making a public denunciation. Why? Well that leads nicely into my next paragraph.

Another problem with bogus claims of racism is that many people who belong to a group that has members who are victims of such attentions gradually develop a sense of skepticism concerning racial issues. What that can unfortunately lead to is a thickening of the skin towards all such claims. Speaking for myself I’ve heard the “the boss only wrote me up because I’m white/black” so many times my first reaction, without hearing evidence, is to take the accusation with a grain of salt. Personal experience has shown me people are more than willing to shift the blame for their shortcomings any which direction but themselves and unfortunately an accusation of racism is an easy direction to go in. When you have such a thickening of skins it is possible that claims of racism with concrete evidence are met with a healthy dose of skepticism, at least initially and appropriate action is not taken as quickly as it should be. And it also possible that legitimate claims of racism that have significant evidence, but not enough to convict as it were, go ignored due to a belief that someone is just trying to play the race card. So what I’m saying here is that we should try to set aside our predispositions and inspect every new scenario as objectively as possible, which is pretty good advice for all of life’s bumps, IMHO.

And for the record I do think that Lucas was at least initially racial insensitive with his Star Wars movies. The very first Star Wars flick that came out in 1977 had no minorities in it (and please don’t point at the aliens to show diversity, that’s disgusting). I certainly don’t think that this was intentional by Lucas, he was filming primarily on a sound stage in England which was 93.8% white in 1991 and I imagine that it had a similar ethnic makeup in 1976. So is it really so surprising that Lucas, who I believe cast the throwaway roles from English citizens, had no black people at all in the movie? The main roles were cast first, but considering how few of them there were (only four roles by my count that didn’t have a person’s face covered) it shouldn’t arouse suspicion that Lucas did not cast a black person in one of them, and I mean that it may have simply been the fates worked it out that way. Not to mention he had the studio breathing down his neck to make the movie as quickly and cheaply as possible because many execs were sure it was going to flop. However if Lucas is going to do a film about people fighting for a better way of life for everyone shouldn’t he have gone out of his way, at least a little, to show just how diverse everyone is? All in all I think that Lucas committed the sin of racial insensitivity here, although this is pretty venial sin, IMO.

However when I look at the next movie in the series (Empire Strikes Back) I start to get a little more perturbed. The character Lando Calrissian was conceptualized from the get go as a black man. With the echo of racism still ringing in his ears from his first SW movie I strongly suspect that Lucas created Lando specifically to address his critics, almost as if to say “Look! There’s a black man, I’m not racist.” I don’t think that he was racist, but if he created or modified a character specifically to quiet a specific group I find that offensive. I could however be wrong, and he may have heard his critics and decided that he should put a minority in his movie so he could show how open-minded his protagonists were, and that the fight against oppression was not limited to white people. But I don’t think so. I do however believe that that he has considered this point with his new round of movies. The number of minorities I see in his latest movies is astounding and he seems to know that adding them creates a more enjoyable and believable (at least for science fantasy) atmosphere.

Of course this has all pretty much been IMO and you are free to disagree. I put this into this thread so people could see what I was driving at and thinking when I started it. If you wish to respond to anything in this post and think it might go on for a while may I suggest that you start a new thread so others may respond? I imagine that at this point many people are simply ignoring this thread.

Also I’d like to be clear that the other thread concerning racism in Star Wars, with the exception of reading the link in the OP, played no role in the inspiration of this thread.