Give us your favorite quote

Not something that you heard but something you came up with on your own…

Mine? I think it’s funny!

Hey it was said in a state of duress, but found it quite comical myself.

It’s not bragging if you can do it.

I have heard it associated with a couple of people, so I’ll just say it was Satchel Paige.

Have you voted for your favorite, huggable Mullinator today?

Mullinator:

Dizzy Dean, actually. Don’t have a citation to back this up, but my recollection associates Dean’s first use of the the remark with the 1934 World Series. In any case this article at Total Baseball backs me up on Dean being the source of the line.

Satchel Paige, of course, was the other pre-eminently quotable pitcher of the 1930s; his rules for living have become legendary:

[quote]
Satchel Paige’s Rules for Good Living

[li]Avoid fried foods which angry up the blood.[/li][li]If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.[/li][li]Keep the juices moving by jangling around gently as you walk.[/li][li]Go light on the vices such as carrying on in society. The social ramble ain’t restful.[/li][li]Avoid running at all times.[/li][li]Don’t look back. Something might be gaining on you.[/li][/quote]

A great list of quotes from Dean, Paige, and others[/ur] at the [url=“http://www.baseball-almanac.com”]Baseball Almanac site, including this one from Paige that I hadn’t encountered before, but that I believe I’ll adopt as a sig line:

I really need to finish at least one cup of coffee before attempting a post with that much code in it. Sorry. Should have been:

Mullinator:

Dizzy Dean, actually. Don’t have a citation to back this up, but my recollection associates Dean’s first use of the the remark with the 1934 World Series. In any case this article at Total Baseball backs me up on Dean being the source of the line.

Satchel Paige, of course, was the other pre-eminently quotable pitcher of the 1930s; his rules for living have become legendary:

[quote]
Satchel Paige’s Rules for Good Living

[li]Avoid fried foods which angry up the blood.[/li][li]If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.[/li][li]Keep the juices moving by jangling around gently as you walk.[/li][li]Go light on the vices such as carrying on in society. The social ramble ain’t restful.[/li][li]Avoid running at all times.[/li][li]Don’t look back. Something might be gaining on you.[/li][/quote]

A great list of quotes from Dean, Paige, and others at the Baseball Almanac site, including this one from Paige that I hadn’t encountered before, but that I believe I’ll adopt as a sig line:

[quote]
Ain’t no man can avoid being born average, but there ain’t no man got to be common.

Years ago, in a letter to a friend:

One of my uncles constantly wrote letters to the papers, saying that stray cats should be captured and put to sleep because they transmit a disease – through their feces – which may ultimately cause blindness. Really, anyone who plays with cat shit deserves to go blind.

“A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back, he ever wants to see a cross?” – Bill Hicks

Life’s a beach and then you drown.

If you love something, set it free. But first attach a grenade to its foot.

or

Second Place is just the first loser

The only game in town might be rigged, but if you don’t play you can never win.

Robert Heinlein

“My luck is so bad that if it rained soup, I’d be standing there with a fork!” :frowning:

FixedBack

“When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven’t got any.”~~*G.K.Chesterton 1908 *

I recently made one. I got one of those e-mail survey things, and one of the questions was “If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you say?”

My answer: “I’d meet Jesus and ask him if THIS is really what he had in mind.”

Habit rules the unreflecting herd. - Wordsworth

How can I believe in forever when I don’t even believe in tonight?

If time and space are both quantum phenomena, then we all move at the speed of light and we measure speed by how long we stand still.

This sig not Y2K compliant. Happy 1900.

Well, in the interest of keeping to quotes that we came up with oursleves…

Santi sez:
Some questions are better left unasked, because the hint at situations best left unconsidered.

That’s one of my favorites.

how did it start? well i don’t know i just feel the craving. i see the flesh and it smells fresh and it’s just there for the taking…
VvvV

“Ignorance is bliss, and I’m a happy guy!”

“Every agent of evil need an unholy army of the night.”

(re: my sibs)

All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people.

“I’m sorry. That’s not the cat I was thinking of.”

I can’t explain it–it cracks me up every time I hear it. It is a long, convoluted story and it doesn’t even explain why it is funny.

I have a hobby. I have the world’s largest collection of seashells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you’ve seen some of it.

“I would have made a good Pope.” -Nixon(the one that resigned)

R.J.D.

I think the only thing I’ve said that got quoted somewhere else was…

Installing Linux to nuke people is like going to church to stare at the parson’s daughter.

``Beware of elaborate telescopic meat; it will find its way back to the forest.’’
– William S. Burroughs, Tom Waits

upstatic: There’s another Nixon? In politics, I mean. I know of Mojo Nixon and Marni Nixon…

My only complaint is always having to wait for someone to come in the room and turn the set on.

I forget who said it, maybe you all can help. It goes something like this:

“If Jesus came back and saw all that was being said and done in His name, He wouldn’t be able to stop throwing up”

Then there’s my old sig line:
I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
(from a bumper sticker)

My new sig is one of Murphy’s Laws

If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

“Never argue with a fundamentalist. By definition, you can’t win.”