Glasses or Contacts?

I’d worn glasses since the age of seven until I finally got soft contacts at age forty. I’ve stuck with contacts ever since, but I can tally up a list of pros and cons:

I have such a strong prescription that eyeglasses give me a fisheye-lens effect (everything looked so BIG when I first started contacts). I’m lucky that I tolerate contacts well- my wife tried them and had to give them up because of eye irritation. With contacts I can wear things over my face and eyes (Halloween masks, snow goggles, ski masks) that just aren’t possible with glasses. I have a big head and had real problems finding frames that fit- I actually have dents in my temples from years of wearing glasses that were too small.

On the other side of the coin, when away from home with no way to replace or clean the contacts, it’s a bitch to lose one or get an eyelash stuck under the contact. I have kinda small beady eyes and glasses partially distracted from this. And it was convenient to be able to take off my glasses when I wanted to look at something very close up, or to go to sleep when I felt like and not have to stop and take contacts out. With contacts my vision gets pretty blurry after a long day (12-hour road trips are bad), which no amount of eye drops can help.

As for glasses on others yeh, count me among those who imprinted early on women wearing glasses.

I always make passes at boys who wear glasses - especially those black-rimmed emo glasses.

I don’t mind having glasses as such; among other things, I’ve proven completely incapable of tolerating contacts. I’ve been considering LASIK surgery, though, among other reasons because it would give me more eyewear options; since my prescription is so weird a new pair of glasses costs several hundred dollars, so I don’t even have sunglasses right now.

I thought LASIX was ruled out for such strong corrections, like they didn’t want you to be more than ~ -8?? A co-worker had it done and had complications because he needed a lot of correction and wasn’t a good candidate to begin with.
I use contacts only, except in the rare case of pinkeye or infection. I’m only around -7 but glasses reduce the size of my eyes and pull in the sides of my face so I look (even more) like a dork. I use Focus Night and Day and chuck 'em after a month.

IMO for other people, glasses can kill your look as well as save it. It all depends on a frames/lens combination that looks good on your face.

As far as for myself, I finally got contacts once I moved away to college, and was so excited I could hardly wait. Unfortunately I had a lot of irritation, which lasted for a few years until the doctor finally realized I was allergic to certain types of solution. Once they got me on one that worked, I could wear the contacts all the time with almost no trouble. I hardly ever wear my glasses now. I find it difficult to see in them, especially when driving, and even worse when driving at night.

I have very green eyes and nobody ever noticed them when I wore my glasses. I notice they are slightly less vibrant with my contacts in, though.

I’m actually surprised at the number of people who say glasses are sexy. I didn’t think it was that high.

See, this kills me. NOBODY should give you a hard time for not being able to get contacts in or out of your eyes. I TEACH people how to do it, and the first time I got them, it took me well over an hour!

If you want to open a Lasik thread, I’ll be happy to share what I know…

[QUOTE=gigi]
I thought LASIX was ruled out for such strong corrections, like they didn’t want you to be more than ~ -8?? A co-worker had it done and had complications because he needed a lot of correction and wasn’t a good candidate to begin with.
The MD I work for has corrected up to -15.00. My sister was -10.50 with about 2 diopters of astigmatism before her LASIK. She’s 20/25 now. And being over 40, that correction is great for her, because she doesn’t need reading glasses yet, specifically because of the undercorrection.

Corneal thickness is what’s important for patients who want corrective surgery.

Sadly, the new silicone hydrogel contact lenses don’t come over -12.00 (yet).

I love my black Kenneth Cole emo glasses. I’m on my third pair (last six years). I think I’m sue for new glasses soon and I will be getting another slightly different pair most likely.

I’ve worn glasses for about 13 years (I’m almost 20) so I only know me with glasses. I do not like the way I look without glasses. And I have problems with sticking my finger near my eye (I can’t even put on eyeliner) so glasses are pretty much it.

I’d love to get LASIK just so I can buy multiple pairs of fake glasses and SUNGLASSES. People with good eyes or contacts don’t know how sucky it is to only be able to have one pair of sunglasses every two years because their prescription lenses cost a few hundred bucks. And I don’t like the sunglass frames I picked out two years ago anymore.