God's soul warehouse?

This is a question regarding Judeo-Christian Theology
(not about reincarnation).
God assigns a soul to a new body-at the moment of birth or conception (take your pick). Where is this soul before God plugs it in? Is it created at the moment of the body’s creation, or does God have a warehouse in heaven full of souls, ready to be united with new babies?

Just saw “The Seventh Seal” on TV, and this very concept comes up. The guy calls this warehouse “The Guff”.
Is this Really part of Judeo-Christianity, or was it just part of the movie?

Man, Mormonism goes to town on the “Pre-existence”.

Basically, the notion goes that people live in Heaven before they go to Earth, and they choose their body, their circumstances, their parents/family, etc. before they’re born (or something like that).

I generally choose to avoid thinking about things like this altogether. It gives me headaches.

Reminds me of that George Carlin routine…

“Somewhere, somebody’s printing up souls!”

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by SPOOFE Bo Diddly *
**Man, Mormonism goes to town on the “Pre-existence”.

Basically, the notion goes that people live in Heaven before they go to Earth, and they choose their body, their circumstances, their parents/family, etc. before they’re born (or something like that).**

Mormons think some people choose to be the child of a paedophile or a crack whore or Celine Dion?

No way would I have chosen my body!

I guess as a beleif system it does away with the need for compassion or charity like “hey, they chose to be born to a starving mother in the middle of a famine, right, I mean, they could have chose to be comfortably off, but no …”

Anyhow, back to the OP, do all of the souls have to be brand spanking new, or are they recycled? Maybe they can just hop from one body to another, saving on the warehouse space? Not that I have any idea how much space a soul takes up …

Incorrect (including the statement made by Spoofe). We do believe that we existed before birth. Some have speculated (apparently in an attempt to explain why some people are born in less “fortunate” circumstances) that we knew what we’d face, or else it wouldn’t be “fair.” That, however, has never been official teaching of the LDS church, and this Mormon doesn’t believe it.

Mormons also believe that if an infant dies, they go straight to the highest kingdom. One Mormon statistician pointed out that the implications of the doctrine are that so many former African babies were flying towards celestial glory as to make the highest kingdom an African paradise. So, maybe it’s a crap shoot. Some “valiant” folks in the PE get to pick first where they go, and they pick Ebola, Africa, and some take a more cautious approach and pick a billionaires house, but this is temptational and therefore problematical. I guess the least valiant in the PE all end up in Mormon households, since being baptised into Mormonism is the only sure way to fail completely and wind up in the lower kingdom (No, I’m not making this up).

Funny how Mormon doctrine seems to answer the problems in Catholic dogma with all of the assumptions intact.

Sorry, Emark, I guess I was just brought up differently (doesn’t matter… I shrugged off the whole religion a while ago).

The whole notion (in my mind) of the Pre-existence and “We knew what we were in for” was supposed to make us feel obligated to stick with the religion. It was kinda entrapping that way.

How about every one egg and sperm has half of a soul. And once conception takes place. You have a full soul.

Besides we are trying to think within our ideas. What about the idea that souls could be something different the those two options. They dont have to be created or stored up. This is God we are talking about. He can do things that are not possible to conclude.