Good Girls Revolt [Amazon original series]

Is anyone else watching/has anyone watched Good Girls Revolt?

It became available on Amazon Prime a week ago, but I only learned about it yesterday when I saw this Rolling Stone article. From that article:

Good Girls Revolt, Amazon’s new 10-part series based on the 2012 book of the same title by Lynn Povich, is a fictionalized account of the lives of real women researchers (a.k.a. fact-checkers) working in the magazine industry at the dawn of the 1970s. The show follows Patty, Jane and Cindy as they realize there’s more to life than working long hours to make male writers shine. “It’s like you two are fighting over the bottom bunk in prison,” says a more woke fact-checker (Grace Gummer as a fictionalized Nora Ephron). The show pits consciousness-raising groups and hushed, revolutionary conversations in the office ladies’ room against old-boys’ network hiring practices and casual “nice-guy” sexual harassment as they build momentum to legally take on the Goliath of office sexism.

Also, here’s a NYT review.

I’ve only watched 3 episodes so far, but I like it; I’ll probably finish the first season either tonight or tomorrow. At which time, I will come back to this thread (in case of spoilers). :slight_smile:

I binged on 3 episodes yesterday and found it got worse. I do love the time period and the clothes and all the late 60s music, but the female characters are just too stereotypical. The hippy/the good girl/the nervous want-to-be/the militant. Not that there’s anything wrong with those people, but it’s just too contrived. Then it is revealed that the Princeton editor (Mr. Stuffy-but-I’ll-smoke-a-joint-at-work) is divorced and his second wife is from India. That stuff just did not happen in 1969.

Just FYI, the first episode is available for free to everyone. No prime required.

I finished the first season yesterday, and respectfully disagree with your criticisms. :slight_smile:

The women seem to start off as loose stereotypes, but none of them is static. The show is about the personal journeys of the main characters almost more than it is about the EEOC complaint.

The editor is never portrayed as stuffy, IMO. He has to be the boss at work, but he clearly has a bit of a rebel side. Being divorced and remarried to an Indian woman didn’t strike me as completely unrealistic, either. Decide whether you want stereotypes or not! :wink:

Anyway, I really enjoyed the season. It ends during the press conference where the women announce the complaint, and it definitely left me wanting to watch the next episode.