'Good Times' Racist reboot on Netflix

I’ve only watched the original a handful of times, but this doesn’t look anywhere close to the source material. Norman Lear (the original’s producer), Stephen Curry(The basketball guy??), and Seth MacFarlane; What were they thinking?

It seems like they tried to combine the absurdist sensibility of Family Guy with the class satire of Boondocks in an attempt to make the next Bojack Horseman and missed the mark in both directions.

Stranger

The joke is the stereotype from what I can see. MacFarlane’s out of touch.

You’d think he would have learned his lesson after The Cleveland Show.

The animation is unsettling, like it’s being run at half the frames. Reminds me of the bad animes that use entirely 3D models but dropping frames left and right.

There’s a lot of black people involved with this, and some of them say it’s actually deeper than the trailer portrays. Which means whoever decided on that trailer was incredibly tone deaf. The mood towards this was already negative from its announcement. You’d think they’d want to intelligently counter that.

I’m thinking the point of the show is supposed to be, “Remember how bad you thought it was in the 70s when you watched “Good Times”? Well, it’s just gotten worse since then!”

But yeah, the trailer does a poor job of conveying that.

I think it goes beyond tone deaf; Helen Keller wasn’t this lacking in senses as whomever produced and approved this trailer.

Stranger

Yeah, I’m gonna have to make it a point to not watch that show.

With Seth Macfarlane on board at least one thing is certain: it won’t be funny.

If someone told me this was a racist parody I would have believed you. Watching it made me cringe.

That was disgusting. Cringeworthy.

…::shrug:: It’s not for me.

And I’m not going to tell the black creators behind it that they did it wrong.

I don’t get why they tried to tie it to Good Times… THAT seems like a terrible idea if it literally doesn’t have anything to do with the original.

Norman Lear? Seth MacFarlane?

…Ranada Shapard and Carl Jones.

I mean come on, man.

Lear (who is dead…he’s not sitting in a writer’s room) and was probably not much more than just a name on a document really. You think he created this show? Same with MacFarlane–he probably had very little to do with the creation or day to day of the show.

I dont really know who had how much to do with developing this show, but the OP only listed three names, and

were not any of those.

…if only a website existed to find out some basic information about the show.

Indeed, but the approved Trailer nauseated me so much that I had no reason to want to know more, except to be glad I dont have Netflix anyway.

So, thanks for taking to trouble to research the show.

That looks horrible. I just took a look on a couple of African American subreddits and they are not so far impressed to say the least.