Goodbye, Straight Dope

I’m sorry that you aren’t cool, smart, or witty.

Is this what you’re hinting at?

The fact that your views do not find validation here does not imply that you a noble unheralded champion of the truth.

I disagree. You may have valued lower deficits and lower taxes, but you see that all the Republicans do when they are in office is blow up the deficit with higher spending and lower taxes. Since you can do math, you realize you have to either cut spending or raise taxes, and since the Democrats at least try to do the second, you side with them. Or, you have a scientific background and have decided you can no longer accept the Republicans’ anti-science views on, for example, global warming and switch parties. Or you finally see the light that the Laffer curve is BS and voodoo economics doesn’t work, so you give up on the party for that reason. Or, you’re a fiscal conservative, but can no longer stomach the Republican view on gay marriage or trans rights or something like that.

Now, instead of conservative, let’s take about people giving up on the Republicans – I think the number of prominent Never Trumpers argues against you as well.

Sounds rather judgmental from someone who whines about being judged constantly.
Sad.

“There can be only one”

So, all I’ve got to do is behead you?

You know, I was tempted to do a Czarcasm pastiche and turn this into an endless JAQ-ing Off session, but no. You are a miserable little man whose whole life turns on this place. IRL, from your own self-description, you are a moral and physical coward. You lack virtually all of the graces that anyone would find endearing. Go back to your miserable life of daily humiliations. Nothing I could say to or about you would sting you any worse than the thoughts you try to suppress every night when you go to bed.

Bullshit. It’s a huge difference. And it’s easy to tell that it’s a huge difference, because every single time a dishonest right-wing shitbag quotes Obama, the point they’re going for is always “Obama says you didn’t build your business!” It’s never “Obama thinks your business relies upon public infrastructure, and therefore you are not a Randian Übermensch”. It’s never the point he was trying to make. It’s absolutely fucking never the speech in context. It’s always exactly that one little dishonest snippet - “If you have a business, you didn’t build that”. Because it’s not the same statement. One is so wrong as to be ludicrous - it boggles the mind that someone would say something that stupid. The other is something only the most bizarre contrarians could dispute. So of course they go for the version where Obama seems like an insane strawman of Karl Marx. Because they’re lying shitbags.

Of course.

It doesn’t appear that you understood what I was saying (or what the discussion was about altogether).

But the Republican position on lowering taxes, the Laffer Curve etc. have been party/conservative positions for decades.

But the thing is that you’re acknowledging that the hypothetical guy “finally [saw] the light”, which amounts to repudiating his earlier positions, not the Republicans moving away from him. I’m not sure why you would insist that this is the opposite at the same time as you’re saying that.

No one who couldn’t stomach the current conservative/Republican position on gay marriage or trans rights would have been a conservative at any time in history.

Bottom line is if your position on issues is more-or-less aligned with the current liberal mainstream, then either you’ve changed your position on the issues or you were never a conservative, notwithstanding any claims to the contrary.

That’s something else. I alluded to this in my prior post. Being opposed to Trump - or any other individual Republican - is not the same thing as being aligned with liberal positions on the issues, and I think the prominent Never Trumpers would fit that category. Never Trumpers would not be accepted on this MB. (There are any number of conservatives on this MB who did not vote for Trump and who maintain conservative positions and are very much on the outs here, because no one confuses them with people “who used to be” conservatives. FTR, I voted Kasich as a write-in. :))

I addressed this earlier.

They go for the distorted version because it’s a sharper and more provocative soundbite. The underlying attitude is the same, but if you want to get the proletariat riled up the distorted version serves the purpose better.

I detect sarcasm.

You just might have something there…and I hope your insurance will cover for it.

Yes, and that is in the face of all factual and experiential evidence that those things do the opposite of what the Republicans say they do. Pointing that out isn’t a matter of opinion but one of fact and reason vs. ideology. That’s how ignorance-fighting works, and it doesn’t help that the ideologues double down instead of ever doing a reality check.

The adoption of that ideology in the Reagan years marked a true shift in the Republican party from the realm of the sane to the realm where Rove could deride nonbelievers as “the reality-based community”.

Not sure why you think that’s a point. We *have *progressed further in our struggle to form a more perfect union etc. now than ever before, or at least that was true in 2016. The point you bring up is just evidence of that, yet you present it as criticism.

Was Reagan a conservative by today’s standards? How about Nixon? Hint: Absolutely not. Not even Goldwater. The party used to be a bit to the right of moderate, now they’re just wingnuts.

And they call it leadership. :rolleyes:

Would you, please? I think that it would be so delightful, since a pastiche is “a work of visual art, literature, theatre, or music that imitates the style or character of the work of one or more other artists. Unlike parody, pastiche celebrates, rather than mocks, the work it imitates.”(bolding mine)

Good Christ…The Rubber/Glue Gambit? You really haven’t an ounce of self-respect left, do you?

How is that pastiche going? I never knew you admired me that much.

As I pointed out, multiple of their presidential candidates have strongly disagreed with 1.5, so I’m not sure what you think posting a link to it shows.

Nixon proposed a UHC plan that’s a lot like Obamacare in a lot of ways, and pushed for a universal minimum income, though he later was talked out of it. I really can’t imagine a modern Republican promoting UHC or minimum income.

Admire? Only in the sense that one could be said to admire a persistent fungal infection. It, after all, never gives up or goes away either. Tonight, when you lay your head down to sleep, think about this exchange. No doubt, you consider yourself the victor. Ask yourself why. Was it because you were smart or cool or witty? Was it because you displayed courage in the face of adversity? Or is it just because you can’t bear to add one more thing to the endless list of times you failed?

No, he’s not a winner, not in any real sense. However, in comparison, you are the loser here. You owned yourself trying to use big words that you didn’t understand.

It was kinda funny, but the humor get less amusing as you keep digging, For the sake of levity, cut it out.

I’m beginning to suspect that you have no fucking idea what “pastiche” means. :smiley:
BTW, when I go home, you won’t even be in the top 10,000 of Things Worth Thinking About…but obsess about it all you want-it’s a free country.