"Google Earth"- wow.

Freaking addictive. I’ve looked at Paris, Damascus, Jerusalem, Mecca, Pyongyang, Tokyo, and many U.S. cities. Sydney, Australia had amazing detail at 384 feet. Even the tiny islands around Tasmania and northern Norway came in clear as a bell. :eek:

Adam

Well, if the CIA had a way to get real-time high-resolution photos of areas of interest, then conceivably they’d just have to mesh them together with accurate reference points, and then consult their (purely notional) database of “points of interest” within a country.

This application could be a great intelligence tool if it were tied to a slightly different data set.

I am on a quest to find all the stadiums in MLB. So far I’ve found (in order) Wrigley and Busch. I’m searching Comisky (or U.S. Cellular or whatever it’s called now).

This is some amazing stuff.

After finding San Diego’s Petco Park, now in its second active year, under construction according to Google Earth, I wonder how old these pictures are?

Is there a place that one can share one’s [del]bookmarks[/del] placemarks? I’m in the Air Force, and I’ve been going through different bases and attaching tags to all of the aircraft sitting out on the runways, but the information is only stored on my machine – I’d love to contribute to a big (horribly cluttered?) list of cool items.

Aw. :frowning: All I get is “Beta Temporarily Closed.” I can’t download the software, darn it.

They must be getting hammered on the bandwidth, what with all those people sucking down map data as they zoom across the world.

Data is updated around every 18 months, according to the website. Satellite data, that is, I’m sure the roads and other icons you can layer on top of it are up-to-date.

My OS is not supported.

That’s what I get for working somewhere that hasn’t even loaded Win 98 SE on this computer.

Darnit!

Good thing I got my installer file a couple of days ago.

Would it be too annoying to mention that I found all the places in the Watership Down book? The downs, the rivers, the railway embankment… Search for Overton, Hampshire, England, UK and scroll north. It’s between Overton and Newbury, just to the east of the A34. You can zoom down to ground level, come in from the north, and actually see the downs rising on the horizon. :slight_smile:

Says the download is down :mad:

With this update, Google was kind enough to extend my subscription for a year and upgrade my account…free!

Annoying? No. Cool? Yes!

This is so incredibly addictive.

Apologies to my friend, who I may not be able to meet later today…

I got the software, and loaded it. But it won’t connect with google earth. I just get an error message, and the troubleshooting tips at the site don’t help. I suspect they’re not connecting up anyone new. Anybody have any other ideas?

Happily elfbabe is running it so I can participate vicariously.

Check out the roof of Safeco Field!

Oh I know. It’s very cool.

Try to check out Miller Park in Milwaukee. Apparently, that city is one big blur.

Another thing I noticed was that the Niagara River is clear… except for one square of blur, right over the hydro-electric power plants. I wonder whether that’s intentional?

Also, has anyone experimented with the 3D buildings (in, for example, San Francisco)? Were you wondering when they’d start mapping pictures of the outsides of the buildings to the models’ sides?

BTW, the mountains around San Francisco look AMAZING. They really show the potential of the system.

They’re cool, but not perfect. The Transamerica Pyramid shows up as a big cylinder, but the B of A building is shown in great detail- the sides of the building are ribbed.

Transamerica on the left, B of A to the right.