Grammys tonight: apparently Paul and Ringo will perform together.

The lineups tonight are amazing. Loving the music icons who are performing! This is really a brilliant package for someone like me who grew up on classic rock, then 90s music, and has kept in touch since.
Really, no duds. All stars. Fucking awesome.

OK, I wasn’t drinking all that much.

Someone 'spain to me the plethora of awards that all amounted to “best record album of the year” ???

I saw at least three such awards. They weren’t (for example) best RAP album of the year and best COUNTRY album of the year and so on for different genres. I didn’t catch any meaningful distinction.

I think one such award was Album of the Year and one was Record of the Year and perhaps the third was Best Record – ?? WTF???

Imagine Dragons with Kendrick Lamar was amazing. The 30 weddings was awesome, Metallica seemed a little messy toward the end, but still cool, great to see Stevie with Daft and Pharrell, and the last act NIN, QOTSA, Buckingham and Grohl, I was really looking forward to, but of course they ran credits over a lot of it.

Overall, glad I watched, it’s really gotten better these last few years. The 00’s were pretty lame.

They are Album, Record, and Song of the Year. Distinct, though the winners tend to overlap.

So obviously Album is the whole album and Song is a single song, but what is Record for? How is that different from Album?

I knew the dope would come through…

Fast forwarded the first 30 minutes. (Yawn)
Did Willie, Kris, and Merle seem a little off?
Maybe they needed a few more tokes before they went on.
Blake saved the song.

Taylor please don’t dance in the audience anymore.
The show was very vanilla.

A record has always been distinct from an album as a single song. A 45 is a record, a LP is an album.

From Wikipedia:

“Record of the Year is awarded for a single or for one track from an album. This award goes to the performing artist, the producer, recording engineer, and/or mixer for that song. In this sense, “record” means a particular recorded song, not its composition or an album of songs.
Song of the Year is also awarded for a single or individual track, but the recipient of this award is the songwriter who actually wrote the lyrics and/or melodies to the song. Thus, “song” in this context means the song as composed, not its recording.
Album of the Year is awarded for a whole album, and the award is presented to the artist, producer, recording engineer, and mastering engineer for that album. So, in this context, “album” means a recorded collection of songs (a multi-track LP, CD, or download package), not the individual songs or their compositions.”

Pink was good.

The show was very vanilla. I was lamenting that we didn’t get to see more interesting artists. Then again, when you have Paul & Ringo and then the ‘new’ Highwaymen, and Metallica - I’m guessing it was more of a look into the past rather than the future type of show.

However, I LOVE Taylor Swift dancing in the audience. C’mon people, its a mega concert, have some fun at it!

Vanilla my arse. I haven’t watched the Grammys in a few years, and I thought the performances were just awesome. Much, much better than the last time I tuned in.

Waah? I’m pretty sure they introduced everybody who was performing … after they’d promote who was coming up to perform multiple times in the commercial bumpers. You must have just missed it.

As already mentioned: Record of the Year is for the entire song as recorded - production, performance, everything.

Song of the Year is a songwriting award - based on the lyrics and scoring.

Album of the Year is for an entire album.

And then, lots of genres have their individual awards within those categories - Pop Solo Performance, Pop Duo/Group Performance, Pop Album; Rock Performance, Rock Song, Rock Album; Country Solo Performance, Country Duo/Group Performance, Country Song, Country Album; and so on for Dance, Alternative, R&B, Latin …

Of course, during the actual telecast, they only gave out about six awards. The rest were handed out Saturday, I believe … but that does open up the show for all those performances, and they were pretty cool, I thought!

I did see someone I know mention something their son said, when Madonna came strolling out to sing “Same Love” with Macklemore … he said, “Mom, why is that old cowboy lady ruining my favorite song?”

Is it just me, or did Ringo sound horrible last night?

Quite possible; I wasn’t very focused on it, as I found the music pretty uninteresting. Liked seeing Chicago, although the guest singer was ruining the songs. Just an old fart, I guess, although I do think Pink has a good voice.

His singing or his drumming?

His singing.

I had no idea who the opening act was as it wasn’t announced. Found out later it was Beyonce. Based on that song, I am mystified why she is held in such high regard.

His singing has never been his strong point. I didn’t notice that he was any worse than usual. I thought the song went on a lot longer than it needed too.

Was that Johnny Depp in the footage on the screens during Paul McCartney’s song. What was that all about?

I did know the distinction between “Record” and “Song”! I swear there was a 3rd category that also seemed to refer to the entire record (or album) and not just a song thereof. Anyway, thanks for the distinction between an album and a record.

… in this day and age, what the heck determines what is or is not on the same ‘record’? I haven’t purchased any 45 RPM records in a little while, myself.