Great pyramid: new chamber discovered

Link: Scientists Say They’ve Found Hidden Space In Great Pyramid Of Giza

OK, so the floor is open for guesses about what’s in it.

Personally, I think it’s Cecil’s fortress of solitude, where he goes when he’s not busy defeating mad scientists, thwarting alien invasions, and general saving of the world. Oh, and incidently, answering questions for the Teeming Millions.

It obviously has to do something to relive water hammer in the ram pump.

What will they find in the chamber? I vote for The Anubis Gates.

I’m voting for: “It’s an artifact of the testing method, and there is no chamber.”

Even though I hope there really is one.

Jimmy Hoffa

George Costanza’s keys.

Chariots of the gods.

I expect that will be where the grain was stored.

C’mon, People! Booze! The Afterlife goes on for, like a long, long time!

Spaceships so the Pharaoh’s descendants can return to the home planet.

:wink:

Yeah I watched too much Stargate SG-1

So help me, if that turns out to be the case, I’m going to cry.

There were three different testing teams using three different types of muon sensors. All gave the same results. I think that instrument artifacts can be ruled out.

I’ll go with the more prosaic explanation suggested in the comments on the Gizmodo article–a relieving chamber.

The source of the geysers. Duh.

Regards,
Shodan

I think we will find certain builder habits are age-old: Couple finds bottles of urine, rodents behind walls of their $2M luxury condo - nj.com

Ah, I hadn’t seen that. Thanks.

I’m guessing some sort of burial chamber.

It would be nice if they could run a drill to it or dig underneath the pyramid to have a look.

The pyramids were all robbed shortly after they were built. The Great Pyramid, for example, was robbed by someone (well, a team of someones, realistically) who knew where the the Grand Gallery is and how to get around the anti-theft sliding blocks. If there’s more rooms in the pyramid, their construction wouldn’t have been a secret. I doubt it’s a burial chamber, and if it is, I doubt it’s undisturbed.

My money’s on either a) they used some shoddy blocks on the interior, which have crumbled under the weight of time or b) it’s a load distribution feature, like the false ceilings above the King’s Chamber.

I’d really like to look under the Sphinx, personally.

Could it be just skimping on material? I mean, there doesn’t seem to be a terribly good reason to build the whole thing solid, and getting all those big stone blocks out and up there, however they did it, can’t have been very easy. So just leave a few gaps here and there, save a couple of big blocks, make the whole structure a little lighter, get done a bit quicker? (This sort of presumes that the muon scanning technique they used just resolves average density, IOW they merely know that there’s a volume where density is less than it would be for a completely solid structure.)