Grilled fish and...?

We’ve got some nice barramundi filets in the freezer, and I want to grill them on the barbie in the not-too-distant future. What should we have with it?

• The Missus doesn’t like the effect broccoli has on her.
  • Asparagus is our go-to with fish, but I’d like something different.
  • If I eat any rice at all, I’m five pounds heavier the next day; so that’s out.
  • Don’t want potatoes.
  • Grilled or roasted veg (red & green bell peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, onion)? Maybe, but it seems ‘heavy’ with the fish.
  • Salad? I want a side-dish, not a salad course.

What’s kind of ‘light’ tasting, and low-carb?

Glazed carrots?

You could also make some sort of cold pasta salad with orzo as well; that might be light and go well with fish.

On grill, halved artichokes, with lemon butter brushed on and available for dipping after. Or artichoke hearts are tasty, but I’d probable do those in a skillet to steamer instead.

I also would have voted for roasted red bell peppers, but I never find them heavy.

Corn and pepper salad:

Just mix up about equal amounts of corn, and whatever color bell peppers you like, maybe a little jalapeno, and some onion, all diced to about the same size as the corn kernels. Toss with some salt, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil. Top with some crumbled feta and toasted pepitas.

Grilled cabbage wedges
Grilled cauliflower “steaks”
Grilled romaine lettuce with light dressing drizzled on afterward

Something like that, or slaw. Some kind of cold salad/relish.

Fried Zucchini with lemon pepper.

And a Beer.

We often have Rice with Dill and Peas with fish.

Oops missed the Low carb part of the OP…

That. Fried zucchini pares well with fish. I know Johnny_LA was mentioning grilled fish, but whenever I fry fish I really like it with zucchini.

How about a vinegar & dill slaw? Or a fattoush salad? Deviled eggs?

I like grilled cauliflower in smaller, bite-sized pieces, lightly dusted with curry powder & some salt, cooked in a basket. Grilled brussels sprouts and/or mushrooms are good tossed in a little oyster sauce & sriracha.

Fried zuke sounds pretty good. Coleslaw might be nice.

If rice were in the diet, I’d like pineapple rice.

Jicama salad, grilled sweet potato or squash, or wild rice which isn’t rice technically.

You said no rice, but what about couscous?

If you don’t want a lettuce salad, how about a cucumber salad? Cut up 2-3 large cucumbers, and add a little finely chopped onion ( tomatoes, too) mix in some (1/3 cup?) light sour cream, and add salt pepper and a little dried/fresh dill, to taste.

It tastes like summertime.

Corn on the cob. Coconut rice is great, but apparently is out. Cauliflower rice is better than it sounds. Vegetable skewers are good. Everyone loves slaw and biscuits. Beans are healthy carbs.

I like cucumber salads, but normally go Thai style. Thin sliced cucumbers, fine diced red onions, rice wine vinegar and a heavy pinch of sugar and salt, stir, let sit for an hour or two before serving.

I often make a thai-style salad to go with fish. Ideally papaya based but they can be hard to get so instead it ends up as pretty much any salad stuff topped with toasted peanuts, coriander and a dressing consisting of…

Equal parts lime juice and fish sauce
chilli, garlic, palm sugar mashed up.

Zoodles.

I’d lightly stir-fry some courgette noodles with some diced capsicum, sesame seeds and garlic, then right at the end toss in some chopped coriander. Finish off with some lime juice.

Alternatively, keep the zoodles fresh or just lightly blanch them, and instead dress a mix of zoodles and coriander or any other herbs with a spiced lime/sesame vinaigrette.

You can also roast the zoodles, as here.

If you don’t have a spiralizer or can’t buy premade zoodles, it will work with courgette strips made with knife and potato peeler.

With fish, I like a mango-based salad. The jicama suggested upthread is a good idea. Maybe combine them.

I love the slaw/mango/jicama ideas… but almost every time I grill seafood (which is most summer dinners), I throw some bell peppers on the grill. Either I char them whole, or lately I’ve been slicing them in strips and grilling them medium, so there’s just a bit of charring.

Assorted colors makes a festive plate. I just lay them around the fish on the serving plate, and people (which over the last year has been just my wife) can take whichever colors they want.