Guess John Cusack's Ten Good Films!

we just replaced our tape of Better Off Dead with a DVD copy. My wife was checking out websites related to the film, and found several fansites where people connected with the film have said they’d love to have a reunion party, but they’re sure Cusack wouldn’t show up.

We finally found a DVD-release interview with BOD director, “Savage” Steve Holland (who had no idea a DVD had been released until someone told him) where he says that Cusack absolutely despised the film when he saw the final edit.

Here it is…:

FWIW–and I realize that this will surprise very few of you–I’m 187% on Cusack’s side here. About 15 years ago, this girl I worked with kept going on and on and on about this hilarious movie, her favorite movie of all time, yadda yadda yadda. She finally brought it into work and lent it to me. As I watched it, I grew more and more astonished and disturbed at just how truly, truly awful it was. It hurt me, it was so bad. The next day, my usual tactful self, I told her it was one of the worst movies I had ever seen. She never spoke to me again.

Part of the appeal of “Better off Dead” is to a certain age group. People between 35-45 are the likeliest to think “Better off Dead”. “Real Genius”, “Ferris Bueller”, “Breakfast Club” & “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” were great movies. I do not know your age, but if you are out of that age range, I would be less surprised by your not liking it.

Jim

Here’s the top ten films in John Cusack’s career, ranked by my personal preference:

[ol]
[li]Bob Roberts[/li][li]The Grifters[/li][li]Being John Malkovich[/li][li]The Thin Red Line[/li][li]Eight Men Out[/li][li]Bullets Over Broadway[/li][li]Grosse Point Blank[/li][li]Chicago Cab[/li][li]Max[/li][li]Con Air[/li][/ol]

I’m about the same age as Joan Cusack; I knew her slightly when I lived in Chicago. First met her when I was in highschool, met her from time to time through my late thirties.

I was wondering the same myself.

I can’t believe that I’m the only person to think that Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil sucked ass.

I can’t really recall any movie that he and Joan were both in that sucked.

You don’t have to read that much celebrity gossip to realize that John Cusack is an asshole par excellence who takes himself far too seriously, so I’m not at all surprised at the story about Better Off Dead. (I thought it was a crappy movie too, and I’m from that era.)

Supposedly, Cusack ended his long friendship with Jeremy Piven because he was jealous of Piven’s recent success with the HBO series Entourage. (Piven suggested this in a February interview with the magazine Best Life. I wasn’t able to find the original article online, although other online articles quote from it.) If true, this would be a dickish move on Cusack’s part, especially given that Cusack has leading roles in many films while Piven has mostly done supporting roles (in many of the same movies).

And Cusack was wrong to deny the greatness of Better Off Dead, one of the two or three best Savage Steve Holland films.

I love the other movies you mentioned (Real Genius not so much), but just don’t get Better Off Dead. The exchange student was cute, but other than that…