Guitar Hero for the masses!

I don’t think anyone else has posted about this yet: linky.

My wife and I disagree about this. I think this is fantastic news, and that many others who might not otherwise have the opportunity or inclination will now know the joys of Guitar Hero. My wife grumbles and think this is diluting the goodness.

Well, it’s interesting news no matter how you look at it, says me!

I don’t really understand your wife’s point - I doubt anybody who’s going to get it for a Mac or PC isn’t already aware of it. It’s not like it’s some underground phenomenon. I wish everything was released in all platforms, including PC.

There’s already a game for those who want to be a hero on the guitar, a “clone”. Frets On Fire. You can also use your Guitar Hero guitar for the game. Probably they are angling for brand loyalty by making a PC version, after seeing how many went for FoF.

I’m not sure what your wife is getting at. The more the merrier I say. I definitely think this will make it easier (maybe even trivial) for the more technically savvy fans to create their own tracks.

In retrospect, I think I may have been unfair to my wife, who was really joking about too many people having access to the game. Considering we have friends who actually went out and bought a PS2 just so they could own GH, I don’t think she really believes that there could be too many people enjoying the game.

Besides, we can always claim we were onboard before there even was a bandwagon. :slight_smile:

What’s funny about your wife’s ire at “too many people having access to GH” is that a PC port will only extend the game’s audience by a couple thousand people, max.

95% of people that are even slightly interested in new games already own a game console of some kind. PC-only players are becoming an incredible rarity in the gaming community.

Lol, I’m one of those people who went out and bought a PS2 just so I could have GH. I don’t know that I’d buy the PC port, unless I could use my PS2 controllers, and even then it’s a maybe. I prefer the better picture and sound that I get on my TV, plus the knowledge that if I ever want to take it anywhere, I just have a tiny PS2 to lug around.

On a side note, someone uploaded a picture of me on Facebook playing GH. Awkward.

Are you the one wearing overalls or the one wearing just a guitar?

Someone I know - no, not me, really!! - just bought an XBox 360 because it had 10 more songs for GH2 than the PS2 version! (and ‘new’ downloadable songs) - I’ve… I mean he’s looked at the Frets on Fire stuff - and once there’s a good library of new content i’m sure he’ll end up with that too.

Can’t wait for GH3, the current xbox controller sucks… or so ‘my friend’ says.

Can I ask why “your friend” seems to be so embarassed about this? Are you one of those people who thinks video games are for kids?

Or was this a particularly lame attempt at humor?

:dubious:

Why so negative?

Not negative, he just seems genuinely embarassed about actually buying and playing one those “vidiagames.”

I am genuinely confused why someone would act like that unless it was a joke. And if it is a joke, aren’t I allowed to say “dude, that was a weak joke”?

Ok - so it was a weak joke (IYO) - IMHO, the “embarrasing” part is paying 400$ + for an XBOX 360 ‘just’ to play GH2 (which I already had on PS2) because it had 10 more songs on it - I actually payed more for it than my actual guitar (that I still can’t really play, because I spend so much time playing air guitar) - I’m hopelessly addicted, and I freely admit it.

So, relax… my wife (of 15+ years and I) both enjoy our ‘vidiagames’ immensly - they give us plenty of laughter and time together - when we aren’t out fishing (also together).

I more got the feeling that he was embarassed at having shelled out $300 for the 360 console, plus another $100+ for the X-box compatible guitar and the game itself, all to get a tiny tiny expansion on a game he already owned.

$400 for ten more songs is a pretty steep buy. Not that it wouldn’t be worth it. I’m holding out for Rock Band, though.

I don’t know…just thought he was trying to be funny, and the “particularly lame” comment seemed mean-spirited to me.

Maybe I just need more caffeine. Or for Rock Band to come out sooner.

yep - and that is also why I shelled out for the 360 - GH3 and Rock band should do much better on it than the PS2 - GH2 on it is much better, except the controller sucks. (I said that already, didn’t I?)

Man, I hope GH3 has a better song selection than Xbox 360 version of GH2.

I loved GH1 on PS2, but the 360 GH2 only has 5 or 6 songs I like on it. :frowning:

Eh, I guess I don’t understand the “only for GH2” part. Any serious video gamer practically requires an Xbox 360 at this point. There’s just too many awesome games on the system to ignore.

I’m going home for lunch in a few minutes just to download a bunch of new demos (Tony Hawk’s Proving Ground, Spider-Man: Friend or Foe and a couple of others).

EDIT: Oh, and here’s the current song lineup for GH3…

Slash’s Original Boss Battle Recording
Tom Morello’s Original Boss Battle Recording
Welcome to The Jungle (by Guns N’ Roses)
Bulls on Parade (by Rage Against the Machine)
Paint It Black (by The Rolling Stones)
Cherub Rock (by Smashing Pumpkins)
Sabotage (by Beastie Boys)
The Metal (by Tenacious D)
My Name is Jonas (by Weezer)
Knights of Cydonia (by Muse)
Even Flow (by Pearl Jam)
Lay Down (by Priestess)
Cult of Personality (by Living Colour)
Miss Murder (by AFI)
Through Fire and Flames (by Dragonforce)
Number of the Beast (by Iron Maiden)
3’s and 7’s (by Queens of the Stone Age)
Suck My Kiss (by Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Raining Blood (by Slayer)
Reptillia (by The Strokes)
Go That Far (by Bret Michaels Band)
Rock and Roll All Nite (as made famous by Kiss)
School’s Out (as made famous by Alice Cooper)
Rock You Like a Hurricane (as made famous by Scorpions)
Slow Ride (as made famous by Foghat)
Barracuda (as made famous by Heart)
Paranoid (as made famous by Black Sabbath)
Cities on Flame (as made famous by Blue Oyster Cult)
Mississippi Queen (as made famous by Mountain)
La Grange (as made famous by ZZ Top)
She Bangs the Drums (as made famous by The Stone Roses)
Talk Dirty to Me (as made famous by Poison)

Looks awesome to me.

At this point, I bought it strictly for GH - I will probably try and play BioShock and others, as time permits, but the fact is I like ’ instant gratification’ types of games - hack/slash - things I can play and quit and play again for fun - not hours/weaks/months to solve and are then ‘done’… (which, IMHO, is the majority of games out there) - Tony Hawkes game has zero interest for me (as do most of the sports games - except for Tiger Woods - which again, the wife and I both play together).

Its a rare game these days that can deliver… GH3’s list is impressive - I’m still not sold on the ‘Boss Battles’ - especially if you have to beat them to continue in Career Mode…

ETS - Thought “Welcome to the Jungle” was on Rock Band?

here’s the songlist (so far) for Rock Band -

“Are You Gonna Be My Girl” – Jet[3]
“Black Hole Sun” - Soundgarden[24]
“Blitzkrieg Bop” – Ramones[25]
“Brain Power” – Freezepop[26]
“Celebrity Skin” – Hole[14]
“Cherub Rock” – Smashing Pumpkins[3]
“Creep” – Radiohead[3]
“Dani California” - Red Hot Chili Peppers[24]
“Detroit Rock City” - Kiss[24]
“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” – Blue Öyster Cult[11]
“Enter Sandman” – Metallica[27]