Haggle - a game of trading and secrets

I’ll try it out. 3 weeks you say?

Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable compromise between ending too soon, (people feel rushed, frustration that ‘if I’d only been able to nail down a few more trades I coulda won’,) and letting the game drag on and on for months.

That probably doesn’t include the portfolio submission day, or however long it may take me to prep once the players list is finalized, (which should be around 2 days at most.)

Speaking of which, I’m thinking that it probably makes sense to keep the sign-up list open until 48 hours after my OP, that would be 5 pm EDT on Thursday, and then probably get started, unless we’re already getting up past twelve well before then.

Do you anticipate using a similar format to the one listed in the other thread? A standard card deck plus some colored tokens?

Having never played, do you recommend keeping some sort of record offline for the rules we’ve seen?

Rule exchanges, with whispering if included, would be handled via PM I assume. Would it be from you or from the person offering the rule? Would this be different for whispering?

Okay, the rules I have drawn up are based around assets that are cards with letters of the alphabet, A through Z, printed on them.

Keeping your own record of rules, anywhere that other dopers won’t be able to take a peek at them, is definitely a good idea.

Whispers are off the table for this thread, unless all of you petition to have them added before we begin.

Rule trades would be via PM, yes - I’ll be happy to handle most of them. If a trade is finalized sometime when I’m not around, (like around 10 pm - 5 pm EST most days, also during work hours if things are busy) then the players involved in the trade can certainly handle it themselves to keep the game moving - just send the PM to me as well, and don’t include anything much other than the text of the rule.

Signup list:
Hal Briston
nesta
billyb0b
MadTheSwine
Priceguy
Uncommon Sense
USCDiver

And we slipped off of page 1. Sigh. :frowning:

Oh well. Even if there’s no more interest, we can have a fun game with just seven I think. Still keep the signups open for a while to try and attract a few more!

I posted a note in the Mafia3 thread. That might get us a few more players if someone that wants to play is following that game but wasn’t watching closely enough to see that this one had started up.

Edit: Oh, and chrisk, if there’s an active spectator thread for the Mafia3 game and you haven’t already, you might want to post a link in there too.

I’ll give it a whirl.

Editing posts is a scum tell!!! FOS->nesta

I’d like to play. Sounds fun.
-Lil

Shoot! I’m glad someone linked to the thread, I didn’t see it. Is there still room chrisk? If so I am in.

Signup list:
Hal Briston
nesta
billyb0b
MadTheSwine
Priceguy
Uncommon Sense
USCDiver
Doctor Who
percypercy
NAF1138

Yes, of course there’s room for you NAF!

Player count is 10 now… signups end in approx 15 and a half hours from now, or when we reach twelve.

Thanks for your note nesta, I already posted the promo in the forbidden thread for werewolf 3.

And good luck, everybody!

I’ll keep this thread active by posting more and more questions for clarifications as they come up.

Will the initial distribution of rules and cards be public, or via PM?

If it’s public are you going to be posting occasionally with what each player currently has in his hand? and what about rules that aren’t in a person’s hand, but they saw in the past?

I’ve been loving being in the Mafia 3 viewing gallery. Could I take a stab at this one? I’d love to play.

Provided that nobody accuses me of being a mobster, I’d like to try my hand at this. ^^

Wow, and we’re at twelve already! Okay

PLAYERS list:
Hal Briston
nesta
billyb0b
MadTheSwine
Priceguy
Uncommon Sense
USCDiver
Doctor Who
percypercy
NAF1138
Dragoness
Omi no Kami

Signups are now closed.

Yes, USCDiver, I will be publicly posting everybody’s starting pack of rules and cards, and following that up with a PM to each player indicating what the text of all his/her rules are. And yes, I will be regularly posting updates of each player’s status, including all the rules they have seen the text of, but do not hold.

We’ll be beginning soon, as soon as I’ve finished working out the starting kits. Since there isn’t any secret information to be given out yet, can I just ask that everybody who’s signed up PM me as a test that they have PMs turned on? If there are laggers, I’ll be PM-ing you as a reminder, but this seems like an okay-ish way to be starting.

and Omi no Kami, I can’t guarantee that there won’t be any accusations. Not sure that Mobsters play the market too well, though, they usually have other ways of raising a lot of money. You might get accused of being a wall street shark though. :slight_smile:

PM on the way. Will we be allowed to make alliances with other players? Do they have to be public corporations? Is under the table dealing allowed only if the partnership is public?

[QUOTE=chrisk]
Player list so far:
Hal Briston
nesta
billyb0b
MadTheSwine

I do wonder if you’ll continue posting in the third person throughout the game, billyb0b. :wink:

From now on, billyb0b will post in third person in this thread. :wink:

Still waiting on PMs from:
MadTheSwine
Priceguy
percypercy
Omi no Kami

The kits are definitely coming together, I’ll probably be ready to start sometime this evening if everybody’s reported in by then.

[QUOTE=billyb0b]

Oh please don’t, that will just make things confusing.

[QUOTE=USCDiver]

Seconded, actually - a few ‘joke’ posts like that are okay, but for actual trading, use first person billyb0b, and thanks.