Hajj, hell. I'm invading Chicago, OK?

It’s only a six-hour drive - and if you offered me a free Guinness, I’d probably do it - but this weekend already has plans for me here in Mpls. Next time, though.

AAAGGH!

Jarbaby has to drop out of the fest! My husband surprised me with theatre tickets and dinner reservations for that night and I’ve just been informed that I’m having an MRI at 7:00 am the next day.

So, I apologize profusely…I hope you guys have fun!

jarbaby

Damn, jarbaby - I hope the MRI goes well. And that you come up with some swell slack-jawed yokel fashions.

9:00 p.m, Friday 6/15, er…where again? Olentzero, what do you want to drink/eat/see when you are here? I’m not exactly Ms. Barfly Chicago, but I could come up with options ranging from swank to skank to sports…

The boards are SO slow, I can’t deal with checking this all the time. Here are two suggestions: Maybe we can do the beer garden thing and hit Nick’s in my 'hood. Now that dpr is no longer here to get kicked out. :smiley:

If it’s wings you want, we can go back to Yakzee’s (sp?) on Clark. Maybe we’ll get lucky and run into a bachelorette party and their giant inflatable penis.

Where are you going to be coming from, anya and Olentzero?

An MRI, eh? Yeah, you’re gonna need that dinner and theater to put yourself in a good mood for the next day. Best of luck, kiddo!

OK, we still have - as far as I know - Miss Creant, anya marie, and magdalene. Seeing as how I know jack shit about Chicago, do any of you have a suggestion as to where we could meet? I’m open to pretty much anything as far as food and drink go.

OK, I sent this to magdalene via e-mail but since it’s vital to planning I’m re-posting it here:

Okay, based on discussions with Olentzero, I suggest the Hopleaf, 5148 N. Clark, 9:00 p.m. GREAT beer, good jukebox. If it gets too crowded there are plenty of neighboring bars. If we are hungry, there are plenty of places to grab a bite nearby. Accessible by taking the Damen bus to Ashland/Foster and walking a block south and a block east or the Clark street bus to Clark/Foster and walking a block south.

Sounds cool to me. How long does the bus trip take from the Loop? I don’t want to get caught running late for the fest!

At around 8 p.m., taking the #22 Clark bus from downtown to uptown would probably take around 1/2 hour, possibly as long as 45 minutes. Depends on traffic and whether there’s a night Cubs game which there…(checking schedule) isn’t, it’s an afternoon game. But you’ll get post game revelers in Wrigleyville.

Hopefully, I’ll finally be able to make it to one of these jobbers.

Eh, I may take a taxi then. A little more expensive, but possibly quicker. We’ll see what happens.

i live in Valparaiso, i will come to Chicago on the train,
friday afternoon. at that time i will print this out, and refer to it for direction and everything.

Sweet! See you there!

Miss Creant, you still with us?

Well, Claire my 6 yr old has bailed in favour of a slumber party leaving me with only Andy, my 4-1/2 yr old. I still think it may be a bit late, but depending on his nap time on Friday, I may stop by for a bite to eat after we spend a few hours at the video game arcade (our Fri night funtime as Claire is off having her party)

Are we agreed on Hopleaf? I have not been there but I’ve heard great things about it.

And no I dont have an issue bringing my boy out to meet people! I remember fondly going out with my parents when I was a kid and Andy is way better behaved than I was :slight_smile:

So I’m about a 40% chance of showing early on…I can at least get some tables for you latecomers.

Sorry kids, but it looks like I may have to bail on you. I’ve been fighting a sinus infection all week and just got some antibiotics today. DAMN! Plus, why couldn’t I get sick last week when the weather SUCKED!?

But I will try, so if it moves from the Hopleaf (great place) will someone please let me know?
thanks

shay

Well, I may be making the trek up there this weekend. Hope you don’t mind if I crash your little party.

<insert evil Dr. Forrester laugh here>

OK, getting stood up on a date is one thing. Getting stood up by 2 or 3 people is entirely another. Where in the hell were you people?!

magdalene, I hold you especially responsible since you named the place and the time. I was there from 9:00 to 11:30, with a little sign that said “Olentzero” even, and didn’t nobody in that bar come over and say “Hey, there you are!”

On the up side, I got introduced to some kick-ass beer that is, as I write this from Screenz on N. Clark, still coursing merrily through my system. Suffice it to say the Hopleaf has become a point of pilgrimage on my annual visit to Chicago; next year I will name the date on which I will make my appearance at that hallowed shrine. If you can make it, more power to you; if you can’t, the hell with you and your ilk.

But as for the mini-fest this year, you all SUCK.

i was so tired from work , so i overslept. i left my house and meant to catch a train, at 6:45 leaving Gary to get into Chicago, which i failed to catch.
the next train leaving Gary would not have left until 9pm, and as much as i wanted to go, i did not want to hang around in gary for two hours at a train station, so i went back home. i apologize sincerely, i wanted to go so much.

Okay, I DO suck.
I’m glad you enjoyed the Hopleaf.

:hanging head in shame:

I just wanna say, on behalf of my DCDope brotha Olentzero, that you Chitown Dopers dissed him. And we won’t forget that.

Come home to DC, Olentzero, and we’ll give you the props ya deserve.

Wow, anya marie, you’re in Gary? Oh, you got an excuse then. You’re removed from the “suck” list. As is anyone who chimed in at the last minute, thinking they might make it.

That leaves only one.

The one who insisted I wear my Lenin suit.

The one who helped me plan it.

The one who, even after the event, provided NO explanation as to her absence.

magdalene.

But I’m taking you off the suck list anyway because I found out about “3 Floyds Alpha King”, and that is by far the best freakin’ beer on the face of the planet. Also a tidy little brew called “Eugene Debs Red Ale”. (And a nasty, evil bottle of what can best be described as a cheap pencil eraser in liquid form called “Malheur”, but we won’t go into that.)

But if you don’t show up next year AND buy me a beer, your name’s goin’ right back on. In India ink, even. Fancy Spencerian handwriting and everything.

You have been warned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, though, any other Dopers heading into Chicago for any reason would be well advised to visit this place. Some twenty beers on tap, and close to a hundred in bottles. And none of that cheap mass-market crap either.