Half Blood Prince excitement thread - no spoilers

I’m a member of a book-centered forum with a permanent Harry Potter thread. I’m going to unsubscribe from it until I get my copy. I’m kind of bummed right now, since I had an opportunity to get a free copy of HBP and missed the window by ten minutes. I’m telling myself that my lack of greed will pay off somehow.

:: bounce, squeal :: So excited. I’m about 1/3 of the way through re-reading OotP, so I should be finished by Friday (when I’m totally cutting myself off from the Net – I’ve already started avoiding fansites because it’s so hard to resist taking a peek at the alleged spoilers).

I’ve been waiting for Saturday since they announced the book’s release date. I’m hoping the Amazon.com delivery guy gets here as early as possible.

Hold everything. The new Pope is against Harry Potter.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/jul/05071301.html

Oh, then nevermind.
:wink:

I pre-ordered from Amazon. How do they deliver? To the door? To the post office? Anyone know?

Actually, nevermind. We have PO boxes in my town and that’s the only address Amazon has.

So, I’ll go stare at the postmaster on Saturday morning. :slight_smile:

Okay… Not only will it be around the 22nd before my copy arrives, but I just found out that we have two weddings to shoot on the 23rd. So I won’t be able to start reading until at least the 24th.

I would wait if I wasn’t a sucker for spoilers. Somehow, I’m not bothered by movies spoilers (usually), but I’d hate for HP to be spoiled for me. I just can’t help it, so I have to buy the book immedietly if I don’t want to spoil it for myself.

I’m more excited then an adult should be at the prospect of a new children’s book being released. :smiley: I’m reading Order of the Phoenix again, to keep me entertained until Saturday.

I hope it arrives when it’s supposed to. A parcel that was supposed to be delivered yesterday didn’t arrive until today because ‘Royal Mail’ were on strike. They better not try that shit on Saturday of they’ll be hell to pay!

We actually had a long thread arguing about the Pope Benedict thing over on FictionAlley. Apparently (as well as anybody can figure it out, anyway,) he came out against HP when he was Cardinal Ratzinger. Pope John Paul II liked the books, though. :slight_smile: To be honest, yes, the way the cardinal (at the time) talked about the books does bother me, because it is too reminiscent of the old Catholic Index of Forbidden Books, and a number of similar things that weren’t good ideas. On FA this spiraled into a long discussion, and things that happened in the fourteenth century (like the Great Schism and the Bablylonian Captivity) were dragged in. But here, I’ll leave these burning issues for elsewhere. :wink:
The day after tomorrow, I’ll be at Davis-Kidd books!!!

A question for everyone: Is anybody else afraid that if somebody finds out the plot and reveals it, they’ll flip out completely and do something nuts??

Hey, there’s another FA regular on the SDMB? Do you go by Anise there as well?

I’m After the Rain, BTW.

Ayup. I’ll be a scary berserker.

What’s FictionAlley?

2 days and 10 hours here!

FictionAlley.org - it’s a fan fiction site, or collection of sites I suppose.

FictionAlley is one of the larger (and, often, loonier) Harry Potter fansites. It’s oriented toward fanfiction readers and writers, but there’s also plenty of book discussion on the message boards.

2 days and 25 minutes! I repeat 2 days 25 minutes and counting. Damn I want this book now.

So what are the release times for y’all in the States? In NZ it’s being released at 11.01 am, which is midnight Brittish Summer Time, or so I’m told. Australia is doing the same thing across their zones - we’ll be reading it all at the same time, but I get to sleep in as well.

Is it just being released at midnight local time across the States?

That’s cool! As far as I know release time is midnight here, I think they’re afraid of riots :wink:

OOh oooh it’s Thursday, my book MIGHT come today depending on how the order went.

That would be SO COOL! And I would be SO JEALOUS!