Harry Potter is EVIL!

First, congrats on the article.

Second–I got my copy at Wal-Mart, and I only paid about $17. They had a whole palette of the things. It was on the first day it was available, but it was also late afternoon and they had plenty of 'em. So try some non-bookstores that carry books amongst all their stuff. You might get lucky.

They are fucking stupid because they:

• Allow themselves to be told what to think.

And

• Believe that a frequently mistranslated and unverifiable collection of writings of unknown authorship are literally true.

As for liars and frauds… well… look at their leaders…there was Jimmy Swaggart, for one…

Well, yeah, he wrote The Screwtape Letters, right? I mean, that whole book was about demons and how to be more evil! Of course he Satan’s tool!</sarcasm>

:rolleyes:

I’m with gobear on this one… I used to work in a bookstore and the first thing I thought of when I read the OP was “bad check scam artist.”

Hey, I just got that issue! What article did you write?

Obvious scam. Wouldn’t he have known his wife was that much of a loon?

The one on page 34. It’s four pages! I was all ashiver with excitement. I ran up to my husband in the book store squealing, “Look! I’m even on the front cover!” Prior to that, my biggest excitement was getting a half-page review in NextGen. I’m almost positive I wasn’t the cause of them going out of business, but if Dragon announces its final issue soon, you’ll know who to blame.

Thanks for the suggestion, Morgyn. I’ll definitely check WalMart out, probably tonight.

Um, sorry for hijacking your thread, Sivalensis.

She’s a dumbass, but she’s right on one point: store credit is the work of the devil.

Oh, vanilla, you put the “fun” in fundamentalist!

:smiley:

As for locating copies of the book, look in some of the independents (not many left, what with all the BN, Borders, B Dalton, Waldenbooks and the like). There’s only one here in St Louis and most towns don’t have many if at all. Such being, people don’t flock there in as great numbers.

I can’t speak for every independent, but we had a rockin party friday night, only ordered 800 copies, and as of yesterday we still had at least 100.

I think the key part of “fundamentalist” is neither “fun” nor “mental”, but rather “fundament”. It came about from the recollection by society as a whole that most of them do 99% of their thinking and speaking from within it.

Priam, isn’t “fundament” a type of candy?

:wink:

If thats true, it better not be chocolate. If it is, I don’t wanna know. The image… the horrible image.

tom~, I only just now realized I had linked to the same site you did! Great minds, perhaps? (I flatter myself)

What I want to know is, what unit is a Mgb? Mega-giga-byte? Or perhaps they meant to say MGD, and they want a palette of beer for a frat party…

If I can interject here, if the check was not yet deposited (in other words, still in the store and available) why not just take the books back, destroy the check, and tell them to go on their merry way?

An MGB is a small British car. I don’t know what they’d use it for measuring for, but you know those British. Weirdos, the lot of em.

Re-Balaam’s

I've read Screwtape. I recommend it. It's rather like SchoolHouse Rock, Beakman's World(the 90's version of the also excellent Mr Wizard). You know that it's purpose is educational.  But it's dressed up so well and staged so cleverly that it's still very enjoyable.

One of the letters makes the point (Polycarp, Gobear, myself and others have repeated it) that people can fall into the trap of worshipping some constructed thing rather than God. Getting your  victim to fixate on their 'righteous' hatred of other sects(the cite says that Kennedy burns in hell for following the "Roman Whore") and to worship a symbol, or text rather than the God behind them are methods Screwtape enthusiastically endorses for keeping souls far from God.

Vanilla- Wow! To me, the word fundie just doesn't fit you. H4E is my idea of a fundie. 'I have the one and only truth! You're all going to hell! The Bible is the inerrant and literal word of God'.

OTOH, you've clearly indicated an ability to think for yourself.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

mumbles to himself …see no evil…

Mmmmm… Candy-ass.

Count me as another who thinks it’s a cheque scam.

That being said, 'struth that some fundies have a hair up their collective ass about Harry Potter, which most would agree is pretty silly.

God send none of them ever picks up a copy of Groosham Grange, which is, in my humble opinion, a vastly superior literary effort, published months before Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, and also about a young man with a troubling home-life who ends up going to an unusual school which is steeped in magic, hermeticism, and alchemy, along with his new friends, a slightly thick boy and a preternaturally bright girl.

Groosham Grange is like Harry Potter without all the goody-goody nicey-nicey bollocks. It reads like the sort of thing that Roald Dahl might have written in collaboration with Mervyn Peake. It’s dark, and screamingly funny.

That is only a workable solution if the check had not been deposited. Many retailers require the cash and checks to be placed in the Night Depository before the manager goes home. I worked for a chain that wanted a deposit receipt from the bank, but that meant that we could hold only the Saturday receipts in the safe on Sunday. Every other day of the week the money and checks were out of the store within a few minutes of opening. A Monday sale with a Tuesday return would very rarely find the check still in the store unless the customers barged in as the door was unlocked, Tuesday morning.