Harry Potter star, Daniel Radcliffe

The big surprise? A lightning bolt scar on his wang.

I think the point people are making about it being stage makeup is not that he was wearing makeup for the sake of the photographers, but that he’d just come off stage from something.

And there’s a difference between “Stage Makeup” and “Extra Heavy Makeup To Wear on the Red Carpet”. Stage Makeup is designed to hold up under hot lights with /odd/ colors, and to allow the actors features to be seen in the back row. The latter is generally pretty much just darker/heavier makeup used to counter the natural over-wash of light from harsh sources. Both are “dramatic”, but it’s the former that makes the wearer look like a clown under normal light.

Have you all seriously never seen a stage actor fresh off the stage? Not even, say, in high school or something?

Just wanted to drop in and say… mmm… Jenny Agutter, topless…

For some reason, this was the first thing I thought of: Second-Graders Wow Audience With School Performance of Equus

Once I saw Danny Aiello sitting in a diner in NY, late in the evening. He still had his stage makeup on–lipstick, eyeliner, the works.

Hmmm. Just looked on IMDB, and there’s no indication that Danny Aiello does anything on stage. Maybe I should modify my statement to say, “I once saw an actor, who looked incredibly like Danny Aiello, wearing stage makeup in a decidedly inappropriate place.”

Imdb doesn’t usually list stage work. You want the ibdb.

Of course, the last credit listed there is in 1987, so if it was after that then perhaps it was an Off-Broadway show.

A friend of mine used to work in burbank, about two blocks from where The Drew Carey Show was filmed. The actress who played Mimi would regularly go to a diner in her building, in the full Mimi makeup…she says it was always a sight to behold.

A friend of mine ran for office and had an opportunity to tape a short speech to be run several times before the election on the local PBS station. She didn’t normally wear makeup at all but she had a friend who could do theatrical makeup. I picked her up to take her to the studio and, boy, did she look garish, especially in contrast to her normal look. We had to park a couple blocks from the studio in a somewhat seedy part of town. As we were walking I had a sudden flash and leaned over to murmer, “I just had a thought on how you can raise some money for your campaign.”

“Shaddup,” she shot back. “I’m feeling conspicuous enough as it is.”