Has Mandy Patinkin ever completed a TV show?

Patinkin finally explained this year his real reasons for leaving Criminal Minds.

Herald Sun

It’s not like he didn’t know the show had a dark and violent premise when he signed on, or during the first season, or during the second season, or during the hiatus leading up to the third season, or any time leading up to day he chose not to show up for the table read the day before the show was to go back into production. That was incredibly unprofessional and inconsiderate of everyone else involved with the show.

I don’t have time to find a cite at the moment, but I’ve heard that Patinkin is incredibly difficult to work with (I believe this was from people who worked with him in theater).

I also read an interview with an agent or lawyer that worked with him directly and they said that Mandy would call the them constantly, at all hours of the day and night, with mundane questions and concerns. Just really strange and annoying behavior, basically.

I liked it, it was pretty good.

Yeah, I have always heard that about him from people on theatre message boards, but I’ve never actually read what those stories were supposed to be.

Didn’t they cancel the T.V. show Because Mandy left to play on “Criminal Minds”? I recall reading the other actors on the show found out the show was canceled because Mandy left.

Oh if that’s true I’ll join the hate side. Bad Mandy, Bad!

They found out that they weren’t getting renewed by reading that Mandy had signed on to Criminal Minds, but they weren’t cancelled because he left.

But Patinkin has a point about the nature of Criminal Minds. I just did a rewatch of the first season with a bunch of other fans. (Gotta love fan comms.) As the first season progressed the violence was moderate, we’d see and hear the gunshot, but not the impact, we’d see the woman grabbed, kicking and screaming, but we’d only hear about the crimes committed on her person.

But by the end of the first season, we were seeing bloody blowback from gunshots, women being drowned, there was a decapitated head in a shipping box, a body run through with a sword and a teenage girl chained in a dungeon.

Second season, the shown violence was toned down a bit, but the stories got progressively darker, so even the imagining of what wasn’t shown was worse. By the end of the season, Patinkin’s character’s love interest was dissected, and we got to see the end result, as well as a suicide-by-speeding-train.

By last season, we got to people being set on fire, no panning away, no cut to outside. We saw it all.

As much as I enjoy the show (because of the actors) the violence is really, quite frankly, disgusting. And yes, most often channeled toward women. It’s realistic, but problematic. I cannot blame any actor that didn’t want to live with that all day, every day. They’re actors, not actual FBI agents.

Not to mention the zombies.

<d&r>

I hope all Patinkin fans have watched the first season of Homeland and will tune in for season 2. It’s a great show and Patinkin is–as usual–excellent.

He also bailed on Boston Public, where he played a home-schooling father who Principal Harper pressed into service as a math teacher, but he disappeared. I think Dennis Miller might have been brought in to replace him.

There’s only one consideration in entertainment – how much money someone believes or hopes you’re going to help them make. So if they think you can make them a profit, you’ll work. People who have done far worse things than this have managed to “work in television again” and that’s not going to change.

I now realize that this is a zombie, but I have to say that I can’t understand a word of this post.

Yes and no. Money is important, but you have to factor in risk. If you believe that there’s a non-negligible chance that your star will bail without warning leaving you with several million dollars in the hole, that will most certainly affect your decision-making process. There’s a reason investments are rated.

Dropzone is female.

Dropzone’s mother would have believed that (a) Dropzone would be attracted to someone like the characters Joe Mantegna plays, and (b) that such characters would be bad mates, so (c) she would have urged Dropzone to resist that attraction…except that Dropzone’s mother also knows that Dropzone is female, so DM would instead have been advising DZ to avoid JM’s sister, that is, the female version of a JM character. Instead DM would have urged D to the second Italian girl next door, that is a nicer girl. But D has always been attracted to the more dangerous types.

That’s how I read it.

Didn’t he used to keep running on stage at The Late Show to rehearse for a musical that he couldn’t get to because of traffic?

I agree with you, I was watching Criminal Minds, but stopped at some point (I forget which season it was, possibly 2) because of the level of violence aimed at women that was being shown as though someone somewhere was enjoying what they were doing.

I remember one episode where they had a video of a girl being violently raped, which was playing in the background, with the screen facing the camera, as the team discussed what they were going to do. It was just vile. There was no need for that. I also remember Patinkin’s character asked someone to “turn that off” and it sounded a bit like he’d ad libbed the line.

Nope, he’s a male.

As to explaing, I’ll pass.

Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up:

Dropzone think Mantegna is sort of bad boy he would be attracted to if he like boys.

I don’t have a cite but I either read or heard somewhere that Mandy Patinkin is a real pain in the ass to work with, and kind of loony. Not just on the set, but all of the time. The stories I heard involved Patinkin calling the person (a director, or manager, or something like that) at all hours of the day and night with ridiculous questions and issues. I wish I could remember specifics of the story but it sounded pretty legit and seemed to shed a lot of light on the question of Patinkin’s tendency to leave jobs early.

Anyone else remember a story like this?

You made this accusation almost three years ago without a cite. If you still have none, I don’t think it’s fair to bring it up again.