Hated movies or flops that were not BAD films

In thisthread discussing if film makers involved in making bad movies are aware of that fact, or think they are making a quality product, ZipperJJ throws some hate on 1998’s Godzilla. ZipperJJ is certainly not alone in his hate of the movie. Now while not a GREAT movie, I think it is an OK film for what it is - namely a mindless monster flick. Broderick, Azeria, Reno, et al. did a good job acting and the special effects where good for the time.

In a similar vein, Schwarzenegger’s 1993 Last Action Hero and Costner’s 1995 Waterworld are panned for being flops, but I think they are both watchable and enjoyable films (esp Last Action Hero).

What are some additional films that are flops and/or popularly hated that you think are not THAT bad?

Office Space
Dazed and Confused
A Christmas Story
The Thing
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski

… all considered flops on their initial box office release.

It’s a Wonderful Life was a flop when it was first released and now it’s pretty much the iconic Christmas movie.

Waterworld? I cant watch it, it makes no sense at all. Where did all that water come from? Why does he recycle pee with a ocean full of water right there? (yes, it may be too salty to drink, but it’s easier to distil than urine). Why is dirt so valued- now one had heard of hydroponics? Why does he trade a jar of dirt for- wait for it- a plant in dirt. Where’d they get cigs that lasted a century?

I nominate Star wars I, II, III. Not bad, but terrible disappointments for fans, thus hated.

Starship Troopers. Pretend it is just a coincidence that the name is the same as a beloved book, then it’s not half bad. Same with the Arnie Conan films.

John Carter, which applies to my theory that anything with Mark Strong as a bad guy is pretty good.

Dutch
Joe vs. the Volcano
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
North

They’d signed Billy Campbell and Jennifer Connelly for a sequel to THE ROCKETEER before it hit theaters and flopped so hard that those plans got scrapped.

But they were perfect for their roles – as was Paul Sorvino, as the mob boss; and so was Timothy Dalton, as the Errol-Flynn-type movie star; and so was Terry O’Quinn, as Howard Hughes; and so was Alan Arkin, as the eccentric mechanic. And when, twenty years later, Joe Johnston did CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, success.

But this one didn’t click then, even though it should’ve.

Exit to Eden. It’s basically a chick movie, but with enough gratuitous nudity that guys can enjoy it, too. Plus, it has Dan Ackroyd, and Rosie O’Donnell, back when she was still funny.

Lifeforce, starring Mathilda May’s breasts, and a bunch of British actors. (Oh, yeah, and one gratuitous American, who manages to make Raymond Burr’s contributions to Godzilla look vital to the story.) OK, compared to Star Wars, it was made on a shoestring budget. But, by Golan-Globus standards, it had a huge budget. The special effects were not as good as a Lucasfilm production, but for 1985, they were not bad.

Dude, you wrote a novel titled Space Vampires, and you sold the movie rights to Golan-Globus. What the @#$$ were you expecting?

Waterworld had huge cost over-runs and production problems, and looked to be a disaster for the studio (though I think they eventually broke even on it), so stories about it being a financial disaster kind of got wrapped up in the films over-all reputation. It also didn’t help that it was sort of the beginning of a big drop in Kevin Costners career either, so it gets tied in peoples minds to his falling fortunes.

It’s not the greatest movie ever, but its a fun sci-fi action movie. It certainly doesn’t deserve its frequent inclusion in lists of worst movie ever. Even its budget (175 million in 1995 dollars) doesn’t seem that inflated by the standard of current sci-fi movies.

Dutch was really underappreciated, I thought. Only thing I ever saw Al Bundy in besides MWC until Modern Family.

I’ll nominate The Burbs, which someone in another thread made out to be the worst movie ever.

The Rocketeer is awesome! It did it all right.

I’m not sure where you could go with a sequel, but it works nicely as a standalone.

Indeed. For me, Rocketeer is still the best comic-book film.

Exactly.

I disagree strongly on Star Wars I-III, I am not a Star Wars fan and I think I & II are 2 truly terrible movies and III was only bad.

Now with Starship Troopers, I am a Heinlein fanatic, currently re-reading Stranger, own 95% of the books and all that were published before he died. The movie shares a title and a few names and basic ideas with the classic book but is not at all the book of the movie. Despite all this, it is a fun movie.

I’m a John Carter of Mars fan, this movie was garbage across the board. Not just a mismanaged bloated bomb but a truly bad movie without pacing, writing or acting.

The Rocketeer is an excellent movie. I really enjoyed it, did not even know it was a comic book movie when I saw it, just a fun, vaguely Indiana Jones-like throwback adventure movie.

I’ll add The Hudsucker Proxy to the growing list. This movie did not fare well and I think it is a perfect movie. I love the screwball comedy aspects, the writing, the dialogue and that Jennifer Jason Leigh did a rapid fire clipped delivery of her lines almost worthy of Katherine the Great or Barbara Stanwyck.

For years I never saw Heaven’s Gate because it was the punch line of so many jokes about how it was so bad it destroyed a studio (United Artists). When I finally saw it a few years ago I thought it was a flawed but overall very strong movie and quite enjoyed it. It was an epic and beautiful movie that suffered from some story issues.

True enough. Personally, I think the movie would go over a lot better if they just called the monster something else.

And I also rather liked John Carter, aside from some quibbles. (Like the marketing, or them not filming—or at least digitally color-correcting—someplace where the dirt was actually red, or the River Iss being completely lackluster.)

I’d add more movies to the list, but I’m worried about retreading ground I’ve covered online before. Or run into quandary over how I can justify or even properly define “good” when I’d be operating well in the realm of the subjective. Or just get really depressed when I start naming most of the films I really liked from the last twenty years.

Oh, and Jar-Jar gets way more crap than he deserves. And “Across the Stars” is a beautiful piece of music. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hudson Hawk - I didn’t love Andie Macdowell, but the movie was fun

Labyrinth- I loved it, but it wasn’t seen as a hit when it came oh…if I remember right?

Speed Racer. Great visuals, the action/races were cool, the plot made sense and was interesting, cool cars, and Christina Ricci. I like this movie very much, but it bombed pretty hard.

Hudson Hawk is one I agree with, I like it but most critics disliked it and it did bomb.

Labyrinth did lackluster business, taking home only about 1/2 its budget in the US but between foreign box and video sales it did fine. Critically it was a mixed bag but really does not qualify as a flop or hated.

Personally I love the movie, I think it is basically made of awesome and a 9 out 10. The IMDB rating is 7.4 which is very good.

the Hudsucker Proxy and Joe vs the Volcano were already mentioned so i’ll add Falling Down with Michael Douglas.

it seemed to do ok at the box office and the reviews were mixed, leaning toward the positive. but, whenever i mention it, noone seems to remember seeing it. i think its Douglas’ best performance of his career.

[QUOTE=Peter Travers of Rolling Stone ]
There’s no denying the power of the tale or of Douglas’s riveting performance - his best and riskiest since Wall Street. Douglas neither demonizes nor canonizes this flawed character. Marching across a violent urban landscape toward an illusory home, this shattered Everyman is never less than real… “I’m the bad guy?” he asks in disbelief. Douglas speaks the line with a searing poignancy that illuminates uncomfortable truths without excusing the character. Schumacher could have exploited those tabloid headlines about solid citizens going berserk. Instead, the timely, gripping Falling Down puts a human face on a cold statistic and then dares us to look away.
[/QUOTE]

and i has Robert Duvall, so bonus!

mc

• Ishtar* A decent but flawed comedy with some great sequences. But it had a very big budget (for its time; adjusted for inflation, it was up near Waterworld) , with no spectacle. Most critics reviewed the price tag, nit the movie.