Have an opinion? Don't share it online...

Did I dictate anything? No, I just gave a general rule of thumb that it’s not a good idea. Why? Well, I believe that is the general attitude of the administration here. They don’t particularly want this board to serve as a place for issues from chat to flow over to. There is overlap, but this isn’t generally the place to air grievances with people who piss you off in chat.

As for my spelling, it’s good. Try sticking the word into a search engine.

MrC, not all people, and I’d assume most, who get kick-banned from a chat room spend the rest of the evening trying to get back online and ergo have any idea if the ban is removed or not. Granted most of the twits we’ve banned don;t live this way, but supposing he got the impression he wasn’t welcome the only thing he would return to do is flame you all. I never got the impression from him, and I would assume the when he got kick-banned he said “fuck 'em”. I would. The point being, the kick-ban, sticky or not, is still out of line.

I was indifferent whether or not he was there. That however doesn’t mean that I want the precedent set that a person can be kick-banned for defending an unpopular opinion. Or banned if he just happens to lose a majority decision among those in chat. It was petty and leads to a slippery slope.

that should say:

…not all people, and I’d assume very few, who get kick-banned from a chat room…

ACK, I hate to see Mr Cynical and Omni going at each other…this makes my heart sad.

Look the OP said some really stupid shit. What happened in chat happened, right or wrong.

Mr Cynical, if you kick/banned someone great, but was it worth it?

Omni, were several or many people pissed off enough to consider the outcome of banning/kicking? It’s possible.

What it comes down to is that people highly disagreed with what Eusabian said in a thread. He/she set him/herself up for people to get pissed off. Don’t let that go and ruin a good time.

I sit back and recall some times when my good friend Silo got kicked/banned for “bad behavior”, for saying things that people disagreed with while he was drunk and look at him now…a good poster and apparently welcomed amongst the chat people. (sounds like some alien kind of thing, the chat people LOL)

So to this I say, both of you, stop. Think about why you two might start going at each other’s throats. It’s not worth it. Some new person should not come between the many, many months of friendship I thought the two of you had built. Granted I haven’t been in chat in several months but I thought there was a mutual respect for one another. Please don’t let this come between your respect, friendship or whatever. You both know that each is a fine being behind the screen name and frankly to see this happen really sucks.

Oh and BTW, if I have baggage, I do Omni. I wish things would be different. I miss chat and I miss the friends I have made there, (big)if you were making reference to my comments. If not, that’s cool, just curious if I struck a cord with you with my comments.

Damn, wish I could edit.

I forgot to add, I think BOTH of you are the bee’s knees which is why I hate to see discord amongst you two. Please rethink your current problem and realize that it’s really not worth the hassle.

Smile, please say your sorry and shake hands.

I’m a new poster, but I have been reading the Straight Dope and the MB for months.

There are a few things I have noticed.

1: Race:** NEVER** discuss race.** NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!** You have to know that** ALL** verbose members of the board are absolutely politically correct. There is absolutely nothing bad about any race, except for the White one. Feel free to complain about them all you wish.
Any discussion criticizing anything another race does or member of another race did will be met with accusations of racism, bigotry, general stupidity, and cunning sarcasms directed towards you.
There is** NO** reverse discrimination, no discrimination, except towards blacks, and no favoritism.
Whites are bigoted, racist, hostile, greedy, discriminatory, oppressive and cruel, as well as stupid, genocidal, xenophobic and generally all round creeps.
Black people and other races are honest, forthright, caring, open, intelligent, smart, unbiased and well rounded, creative, generous people who have been held down by Whites for generations.
 Nationality fits in the same sector. Only discuss it in a complimentary way. Remember, all Americans are egotistical, stupid, violent people who will ruin the world if given a chance. Everyone else is just perfect.

2. Do not discuss homosexuality if you have any reason to find fault with it. Any form of criticism will be met with cries of homophobia, comments about you potentially having a secret, determinedly hidden set of homosexual tendencies, and general bigotry. You will be met with the enthusiasm of a chimp showing up at a 4 star restaurant for dinner. After all, every member of the SDMB finds homosexuality, in all of it' forms, very acceptable. Many have homosexual friends. You may discuss homosexuality if you agree with it, wish to know about it, have potential theories concerning it.
You will be damned forever if you mention that you disagree with it. After all, homosexuals have rights also, even when they encroach on those the poor, misunderstood heterosexual has.

3. Prepare cites. That is, if you mention anything of an opinion from memory, have at least 26 reliable links to back you up, preferably those leading to the Library of Congress, because if not, you will be damned as a heretic, called a liar, accused of making things up, and not knowing what you are talking about. Make the links good ones, because most will be examined and promptly abandoned as insufficient unless written by someone with a degree in something.
Your experience and memory do not count.
No links and you are an idiot, open to ridicule, accusations, challenges, insults and being stalked across the boards by those of superior intellect who chose to damn you before everyone who you encounter.

4. Learn how to argue with subtle insults and witticisms because in any heated discussion, you will be insulted just short of and up to being called a lying bastard. If you respond 'uncouthly', you will be mercilessly attacked, dumped into the PIT and savaged bloody by those who lurk there awaiting prey. No Mod will come to your defense. Nor will anyone else, because then they will be attacked.

5.** NEVER, EVER** expect support if you do any of the above. Even if there are posters who agree with you, they will not come to your aide because then they will be harassed across the board and considered scum to become anyone's prey. They will sit and watch you struggle against unfair, untrue and uncalled for accusations. No one will dare to help you out by agreeing with you.
It is cover your own ass.

6. Do not discuss thing about people that you'd like them to do, say, wear or change. Everyone is, after all, perfect. Your opinions are bigoted, sexist, biased and stupid. You will be told this, over and over again.

7. **NEVER** discuss any physical appearances except those of people who are built like magazine models. No one on the SDMB is homely, skinny, ugly, or, especially, fat. Mentioning the latter will have the hounds set on you forever no matter where you go on the SDMB.

Follow the above simple guidelines and you might just survive long enough to aquire over 100 posts -- but then, no one pays any attention to post counts. (Yeah, right!) :D :)

Thanks, Mark. We’ll be right with you.

Who’s Mark?

Krispy, I really hope you are kidding.

LOL

1. Always be sure to pouffe up your hair and apply the genital perfume before posting anything on the SDMB

I wasn’t kidding when I posted that, but now I get it. It was just name-calling. Got it.

Well, almost. It was calling someone his real name.

Really?

Ayep. He’s back, he’s gone, another standard day in the ongoing saga of “Mark Serlin vs. SDMB”.

[sub]Obviously knowing better, but…**

Indicating that Korea is not your favorite country makes you a racist, but saying that Afghanistan is not your favorite country wins applause from the masses?

Having now put two and two together (with the able assistance of Mr. Corrado), I should note that I have no opinion on the content expressed above, but was just making the (ironic, I believe) observation about potential double standards.

Or something like that…

[sub]Going back to posting questions to GQ that sink like a stone…[/sub]

OK, so [fight club take]“his name is Mark Serlin”[/fight club take], but what is his user name? Do you mean Eusabian?

Amen, johnson.

The OP had an unpopular view-point (even though he also had more direct evidence to come by those views than any of his detractors). He doesn’t express them using the latest “inoffensive PC-speak” that he could have, such as when we all heaped scorn upon the government of Afghanistan. He clarified his views, but refused to back down from them, as is his right. Unless you’re in chat, of course, where you can be censored for having a minority view… Just like in Afghanistan, ironically enough.

::applauds Johnson and Satan::

Satan, I like your stuff, and I like the way you say it. This time though, I did’t. I read all the posts in the two threads, and they were different. The Korea thread was so full of anger and I hope, as a detractor to his opinion, I answered it from a position of relatively better understanding of the culture (it’s a new post, so maybe you haven’t had chance to see it yet).

I absolutely agree with you about expressing opinions and also everything you say about some people being too PC, but I do feel that there is a line between expressing a strong opinion and being downright offensive, and I feel he crossed it. If he wanted to rant, he should have made that clear in post as Astroboy did in his OP.

johnson said “Indicating that Korea is not your favorite country makes you a racist, but saying that Afghanistan is not your favorite country wins applause from the masses?” If it had been as simple as that, there would be no arguments and it may have been a case of double standards, but what Eusabian posted were a lot of angry swear words that he retracted bit by bit as he was flamed by other posters who picked holes in what he said.