Have you received the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine?

Have you received the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine?

Yes.

I’m getting mine Jan 7th. Does that make it the 2010 H1N1 flu vaccine?

Why?

It’s kinda late.

If you haven’t had it by now, you didn’t want it or feel that you needed it.

By now, most people I know have either had h1n1 or had a flu shot and some people have had both.

In any case, the virus is no longer a huge threat and will be relegated to being part of the cocktail for next years seasonal shot, most likely.

Maybe I’ll still get the h1n1 flu, maybe it was the flu I caught Thanksgiving week. It’s just a flu, I never saw a doctor about it. I had a seasonal flu shot in October.

I got mine back in September, the same day the first shipment hit my county.

No–the virus was identified and the vaccine was developed in 2009.

More info:
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/general.htm

That’s not true. My son is high risk and he didn’t get vaccinated until just a couple of weeks ago.

The vaccine is just now starting to be given to the general population, so long as the high risk people in the local area have been vaccinated. This is apparently being determined at the local level. As of December 9, the guidance from the CDC states:

As for being “too late,” past influenza epidemics often have seen resurgences after declines. This was true of the 1918 pandemic, and the second wave of infection was far deadlier than the first.

As a risk group member (asthma), I’d love to get it. But my doctor doesn’t have any, and I haven’t been able to locate anyplace that has any.

Have you tried one of the online flu vaccine finders, like the one done by the American Lung Association? I just looked up Chicago and it gave a huge list of Walgreens and Dominicks that have H1N1 shots available.

I took both of my kids in the first day there were available at the Health Department in my county and they offered one to me, too. I’m not in a high risk group (and told them that) and I wasn’t as aware as I should have been about how bad the shortages were. I’m glad I got it at that time, but I also feel guilty.

So you’re saying that because you’re son already has his shot, its not true that people who need it already have it?

I’m confuzzled.

Eva mentioned she is high risk, so her argument is valid in that she hasn’t had the opportunity to get it yet. But around here, if you wanted it or needed it, you already got it.

My wife gets every shot possible. She went to Walgreens and they said they are not giving any flu shots now. They are not getting more std, flu shots in and the H1N1 is not available yet.

I’m saying that many high risk people (like my son) are only now getting the vaccine, even though distribution of the vaccine has been going on since September.

For non-high risk people around here, the vaccine has not generally been available at all.

It is certainly NOT the case around here that “If you haven’t had it by now, you didn’t want it or feel that you needed it.”

I just came back from my doctor’s office. She did not have *either *flu vaccine. However, we both pretty much agree that I am probably not at risk so neither of us are worried about it.

I was able to get it around the 1st of the month, because I was in one of the high-risk groups.

A short time later it was opened up for all to receive. (Rochester, NY area)

This was during a follow-up physical in my physician’s office. I also received the regular flu shot. Then I was referred for a standard blood test in the same building. I had my blood drawn that same day because no fasting was necessary this time.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! :wink:

I think we need to clarify:

Now: the present.

A few weeks ago: the past.

If we’re using specialized semantics for this debate of opinion, please make that clear in the initial post. If you’d like to redefine now, for purposes of this debate, to be:

Now: The period of time prior to when my son had his swine flu shot a few weeks ago.

Then please make that clear. So that when I say "If you haven’t had it by now, you didn’t want it or feel that you needed it. " I can know that you can include your plans for your son’s immunization, because in the “now” of your opinion, the shot he got 2 weeks ago hasn’t happened yet.

My asthmatic son got his six weeks ago. My toddler daughter got hers 2weeks ago. So I now have no plans to do anything more about the h1n1 flu shot. If I had known that for purposes of the initial question that the present was actually a few weeks ago, I would have answered that I still had plans to get a shot for my daughter, just for peace of mind. But since I was using the generally accepted concept of time, I misunderstood. My apologies.

My option isn’t on the list. I’m not getting the shot because I got the flu instead. I was on a waiting list for it when I succumbed, but the new shipment didn’t come in until it was too late.

Were you actually diagnosed with H1N1? In any event, if you do not intend to get vaccinated, simply choose the last option on the poll.

From the CDC:

I think you’re covered under the “No I do not intend…” option.

You certainly have a caveat, but that option covers you as it does not explicitly give a reason that would disinclude you.

My wife was made to have the vaccine by the Navy – despite being allergic to eggs and poultry products. So now she’s suffering the allergy symptoms.

For the purposes of the poll, “now” means now, i.e. this instant. Also, the poll didn’t ask about your daughter.

The rest of the discussion is in regard to your statements in this thread. Contrary to your statements in Post #4, there are still a great many people who have not received the vaccine, but not because they “didn’t want it or feel that [they] needed it.” Some of these people have posted in this thread.

I did mention that my son only recently got the vaccine, although he falls into the high-risk category. Because my son, a high-risk individual, only just received his vaccination two weeks ago, and high risk children have priority over the general population, it makes no sense to state that it is “kinda late” for a member of the general population to get vaccinated, or to conclude that if someone has not been vaccinated, it is because they “didn’t want it or feel that [they] needed it.”

Also, while mortality rates for the virus have been lower than expected, I don’t think that you can conclude that “the virus is no longer a huge threat.” This remains to be seen.