Poll about flu vaccination

I’ll try to keep this brief.

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not?[/li][li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?[/li][li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not?[/li][li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?[/li][li]Please explain your answer to (6).[/li][/ol]

My answers:

[ol]
[li]Yes.[/li][li]Inapplicable, obviously.[/li][li]Inapplicable again.[/li][li]Yes.[/li][li]Inapplicable.[/li][li]Every damn year.[/li][li]Partly because I’ve been lucky enough to work at companies that offer it on-sight; partly because there’s always a little voice in my head that says Remember the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918.[/li][/ol]

1. No
  2. No
  3. Not in a high-risk group.
  4. No.
  5. Same as above. Not high-risk.
  6. No.
  7. Ditto.

I am getting the kids vaccinated for regular flu this year, though. Undecided on H1N1; will likely just follow our pediatrician’s recommendation on that one.

Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? **Not yet–but it will be available to me very soon. **

If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? Yes.

If the answer to (2) is no, why not?** N/A

**Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? Yes.

If the answer to (4) is no, why not? **N/A

**Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? Yes

Please explain your answer to (6). The shots are free where I work. Having had real influenza twice in my life (long before I could get the shots), I’ll gladly reduce my chances of wasting a week or more of my life feeling like absolute crap.

Getting it on September 30.

Yes, but it won’t be available until mid-October, so I was told by the Health Department. Someone in my area died of H1N1 complications recently, and there have been reported cases in the high school. This makes me very nervous, as I’m 8 months pregnant and working in a school. Not a good time to get the flu, though I am in a high risk profession and am susceptible.

[quote]
Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
[li]Please explain your answer to (6).[/li][/quote]

Yes, because I hate getting the flu, and I’m around germy children all the time. I’ve been getting the vax for the last several years and haven’t had flu in that time, and haven’t had to take a sick day in over 3 years. IMO, the vaccine works.

Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
Yeah ours was month’s ago (Winter ending here)
If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?
N/A
If the answer to (2) is no, why not?
N/A
Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
Yes
If the answer to (4) is no, why not?
N/A
Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
Every year
Please explain your answer to (6).
About 12 years ago I had my last really bad dose of the flu (as did many parents involved in my kid’s soccer team). I was very sick on and off for 3 weeks. After that flu season I was asked to evaluate a trial work had performed at one of our sites. They had provided free flu shots for whoever wanted one. The results were compellingly in favor of having the shot. So work made in universal, I began having the shot and I have never had the flu again. I used to try to convince everyone I knew to have the shot but got tired of hearing the same stupid arguments against it so I just have mine and forget it now.

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not? I just never do … haven’t thought about it.[/li][]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? No.[]If the answer to (4) is no, why not? See # 3[]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? No.[]Please explain your answer to (6). I think I have only ever gotten the vaccine once. It’s just not on my list of things to do, I guess - getting the flu is not something I’m concerned about.[/ol]

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not?[/li][li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?[/li][li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not?[/li][li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?[/li][li]Please explain your answer to (6). [/ol][/li]

1. Yes
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. Yes
  5. n/a
  6. Yes.
  7. I work in a hospital lab, testing swabs for the flu. I figure the vaccination is just a good idea. I started getting it when I was in college studying medical technology and doing clinical rotations, because I spent a lot of time with high risk groups (my grandmother’s retirement home, my friends with small children) and I thought it was my responsibility to get the shot and reduce the chances of me bringing the flu home to them.

My answers:

1. Yes, for both me and my wife.
  2. and 3., N/A
  3. Yes, as soon as it becomes available. My wife is in a high risk group: pregnant.
  4. N/A
  5. Generally yes, but some years I don’t get around to it. This year I am particularly anxious to make sure we are protected because of my wife’s condition.
  1. Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
    No.
    2. If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?
    Yes, next week.
    3. If the answer to (2) is no, why not?
    NR
    4. Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
    Yes
    5. If the answer to (4) is no, why not?
    NR
    6. Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
    Yes
    7. Please explain your answer to (6).
    I am vulnerable to respiratory infections, travel a lot, work with people who work with children, and have lived with a string of immunosuppressed people.

I get it every year. I’ll get H1N1, too, when we get it in (I work in a clinic).
Mostly because I, you know, don’t want the flu. Never got what the big deal was.

(1)Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
Yup, I got mine the first day it was available to me. My employer pays for it in full.

(2) & (3):
N/A

(4)Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
Yes

(5)If the answer to (4) is no, why not?
N/A

(6)Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
Every year since I started working in a pharmacy.

(7)Please explain your answer to (6).
I get a shot yearly because
a) It’s paid for by my employer,
b) I’ve had the flu before, and even with the (miniscule) risk of mild-flu-like symptoms from the shot, those are infinitely better than the actual flu, and
c) makes it less likely I’ll get someone considered high risk sick in my daily interactions with them.

1. No
  2. Yes, when my employer makes it available
  3. N/A
  4. Yes, when my employer makes it available
  5. N/A
  6. Yes.
  7. Main answer: I have better things to do than be laid up in bed for a week, feeling like utter hell. I had flu when I was a teenager and I’d rather have a couple migraines (at least, and I do suffer from them) then deal with that again.

Secondary answer: I work in a hospital, with direct patient contact.

However, my husband is a letter carrier and got influenza, probably via his workplace. I was fortunate enough to have been vaccinated, and had to help my big, strong, very healthy husband for a week while he was laid up with it. Pretty much the only times he’d move from where he was, he slowly shuffled (or crawled, a few times) to the bathroom, the couch, or the bed.

1. No
  2. Yes (conveniently offered at work)
  3. No
  4. I believe that I (and all my family) already got the H1N1 Swine flu.
  5. Yes
  6. It seems to keep me from getting the flu as much. I’ve been getting the regular flu shot for 15 years or so, missing only a couple years in that time. ETA: I started so I (hopefully) wouldn’t have to use up my sick days.

Um…that seems unlikely.

I have no idea what I’m supposed to be reading from your link.

Did you mean that you already got the H1N1 vaccine, or that you already contracted and recovered from the swine flu? I think Skald was saying you couldn’t have gotten the vaccine yet, since it hasn’t been released to the general public.

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? My doc and I will discuss it next Thursday.[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not? N/A[/li][li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? My doc and I will discuss it next Thursday.[/li][li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not? N/A[/li][li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? Sometimes.[/li][li]Please explain your answer to (6). One year my company were giving away free shots and so I went over with my boss and got one. The last few years my former GP felt that I needed them so I got them. Now that I have a new GP, I will ask her if she thinks I need one. I’m not sure why my old GP felt I needed one - unless repeated operations (or the types that I have had) put me in a high risk group.[/li][/ol]

1. No.
  2. I hadn’t planned to, I suppose my Doc will mention it this week, I’ll decide then.
  3. I’ve never had the flu, hell I only rarely get colds
  4. See answer to number 2
  5. See answer to number 3.
    6 no.
  6. I don’t have anything vacinations in general. I just don’t see it as neccesary. I am willing to be convinced, I was diagnosed with diabetes last year so I am now considered high risk.
  1. No
  2. Yes. In about a week or two.
  3. I will get the H1N1 Vaccination.
  4. I’ve been getting Vaccinated recently as part of my school/work stuff.
  5. Uh- Flu Vaccinations are mandatory at my school this year and I fall into the class of people that are in the high risk groups for being exposed to it.

I have to get them as part of my work. If I were on my own, I probably wouldn’t bother.