Poll about flu vaccination

1. No
    2. Absolutely yes
    3. N/A
    4. Absolutely yes
    5. N/A
    6. I never turn down a vaccination of any sort, although I generally pay extra for the non-mercury version when applicable.
    7. Vaccinations educate your immune system. They give it the experience it needs to recognize pathogens quickly and respond appropriately. Quite often, when new pathogens show up, they are similar to ones we’ve seen before , but are in some way stronger or more efficient.

Because of this, a vaccine can end up allowing your body to fight off a brand new pathogen int he future, something far more virulent. It is always worthwhile to show your B Cells a new antigen and say “Sic 'em boy! Sic 'em!”

Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No.
If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? Yes.
If the answer to (2) is no, why not? N/A
Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? No.
If the answer to (4) is no, why not? I’ve already had H1N1–need to verify, but I believe that makes me immune, right?
Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? Since having my daughter, yes.
Please explain your answer to (6). I have a small child, who’s around other children all the time and catches every little sniffle that comes along, and then passes it on to me. I swear I’ve been sick nearly constantly the past year and a half or so. At least I can take steps to prevent the flu. Plus I’m pregnant, so high-risk this year.

**Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? ** Yes, as mentioned above by Don’t Ask, our seasonal flu season is over. Or almost over.

If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? N/A

If the answer to (2) is no, why not? N/A

**Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? ** Yes

**If the answer to (4) is no, why not? ** N/A

**Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? ** Yes

**Please explain your answer to (6). ** i) it’s free; ii) it’s practically compulsory

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? Yes, already have an appointment set up for me and my youngest (my oldest child already got the flu mist).[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not? N/A[/li][li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? Yes.[/li][li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not? N/A[/li][li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? Yes.[/li][li]Please explain your answer to (6). I have lupus, my husband is a health care provider, and my youngest has a history of respiratory problems. We do whatever it takes to stay healthy.[/li][/ol]

1. Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
    No

1. If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?
      Yes

2. If the answer to (2) is no, why not?
      N/A

3. Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
      Probably

4. If the answer to (4) is no, why not?
      N/A

5. Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
      Yes

6. Please explain your answer to (6).
      I have asthma and any respiratory infection stands a good chance of turning into bronchitis and/or an asthma flare that requires a course of oral steroids. Plus, the last time I had something flu-like (despite having had the shot, apparently that year a lot of folks caught a different flavor), I spent a few days sorta wishing for death, and a few hours actively praying for it. It wasn’t as much fun as it sounds.

No I don’t plan to get any flu shots. I have a needle phobia. I wish I could. I’m doing flu mist as soon as I can.
My SO and both my daughters got the flu shot and my daughters will both be front of the line for H1N1. One’s under five and the other is a health care worker.

Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
No.

If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?
No.

If the answer to (2) is no, why not?
I have an excellent immune system, never get sick or the flu, and I’m not going to screw it up by injecting god-knows-what into it

Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
No.

If the answer to (4) is no, why not?
Same as above.

Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
Never.

Please explain your answer to (6).
Same as above.

No…has it been a year already?

Yep.

Yeah if it’s affordable, plentiful and recommended. I would not get it if there was a shortage, nor would I get it if it’s risky.

Yep. I didn’t get vaccinated my freshman year of college and got the worst flu of my life. Never again!

Well, I don’t work outside the home nor do I go out much. However, my SIL is a teacher and my mom works in the school’s central office, so I sort of feel like…

• I don’t get out enough to build immunity to “whatever’s around”
  • I do see my SIL and mom enough to feel like I could catch whatever they may pick up from kids.
  • I have two infants in my life and three elderly people in my life (none in my home) and I feel as tho I am protecting THEM when I am protecting myself.

That may all be nonsense thinking, but it works for me.

1. No
  2. Yes
  3. Probably not
  4. Not a big risk of getting bird flu
  5. Yes
  6. Influenza and oil rigs really don’t mix.

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? Yes. We’ll have a new baby in November, so it probably makes sense for all of us to be vaccinated.[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not? N/A[/li][li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? Probably - since I’m pregnant, I understand that I’m in a high-risk group.[/li][li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not? N/A[/li][li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? No.[/li][li]Please explain your answer to (6). I used to get it every time it was available, but for a while, the vaccine they used was somehow incompatible with the medication I take for my seizures. I’ve since got out of the habit, though they’ve changed the vaccine and I think it’s safe now. If I can safely take it, I will; I think it makes sense for all of us to get it this year (with the exception of the newborn, who can’t) with a newborn in the house smack-dab in the middle of flu season. [/li][/ol]

I haven’t received either flu shot this year, but I’ll get them both. I have breathing problems and a shitty immune system that needs all the help it can get.

I have received the pneumonia shot within the past 5 or 10 years. I used to get pneumonia at least once every cool season* and since I started getting this pneumonia shot, I have only had one or two bouts of it over the past 15? years or so. It makes a big difference.

*I live in Texas, and I have been informed that we really don’t have a winter in this area.

Lynn, I used to think that you had winter too. Then I moved to real winter. :slight_smile: (I have family ties to Fort Worth going back at least a hundred years on my mom’s side. Any joking is only that. But I couldn’t handle living anywhere in Texas anymore, the climate…urrrrrgh.)

I work at a resort hotel. They provide free flu shots. I definitely get one; who knows what germs are going to walk in that door? If they provide the H1N1 one I will get that the same way, or else I will get it on my own. I have interesting issues with a very short torso and if I did get an illness that hit my lungs it could be very ugly very fast. And I’m in my early 30s and generally pretty healthy, which is potentially a bad thing with that flu.

I didn’t start getting flu shots until I started working with the public. Now I get 'em. You never know. I’ve been lucky so far, but my mom had a bout with a particularly nasty flu strain once and from what I hear I want no part of that.

I will get the regular vaccine, because I can get it in nasal spray form. I believe I can get the H1N1 in nasal spray form when it’s available. If I can’t, I’ll really have to think long and hard about it. Last year, merely being in a room with other people getting injections, and seeing the nasal spray device that looks ridiculously like a hypodermic needle, caused my phobia to activate, and I passed out, smashing my head on the floor, having a concussion, going to the emergency room in an ambulance, and being dizzy for more than a week afterward.

I don’t have positive associations with needles. The only reason I’d get it would be because of my 8-month-old daughter. If it were only my health at risk, I’d seriously, no joke, find getting full-on misery-level influenza less unpleasant than getting a shot.

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?[/li]No

[li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?[/li]No

[li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not?[/li]I’ve gotten the flu vaccine twice, and gotten the flu from hell shortly afterward each time (much sicker than I’ve ever been with the flu any OTHER years, I’ll note). Could be coincidence, but since I’m not especially high risk, and I have no significant contact with any young children or elderly folk, I’ll take my chances.

[li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?[/li]No

[li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not?[/li]See 3 above

[li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?[/li]No

[li]Please explain your answer to (6).[/li]See 3 above
[/ol]

My answers are Yes to #s 1, 4 and 6 (N/A to the rest). My medical practice is hospital-based, so I have both an obligation to not expose patients, visitors and staff to my flu germs as far as possible, plus not catching them from said individuals and bringing them home to Mrs. J.
By getting flu shots I’m taking an extremely miniscule risk and inconveniencing myself to a minor degree, in exchange for markedly lowering my risk of developing a disease that’ll make me feel wretched for an extended period (at best) or permanently injure/kill me (at worst).

I get few colds and have never to my knowledge had influenza, before or after getting flu vaccines. I do know that even a good immune system doesn’t protect you against a sufficiently virulent organism. And a bad bug will not only screw up your immune system, it’ll wreak havoc with other parts of your body as well.

What is it that you fear in vaccine ingredients?

Oh, that must have come across poorly. I am by no means anti-vaccine. If I lived or worked with at-risk persons as you do, I would get the shot. Not out of any fear that I might get sick, I won’t, but it would be a reasonable thing to do to protect the patients.

My children are grown, no grandkids yet, no old folks at home. And really, I don’t get colds or flu, year after year, for a long time. I had all the usual childhood diseases and a few unusual ones but that was a long time ago.

I really don’t think that it is necessary for everyone to get the flu shot. If we are going to prioritize who gets them, then I should be at the bottom of the list.

No.

No.

If the answer to (2) is no, why not?

I am severely allergic to thimerosol, the preservative in the vaccine.

Maybe, if it is not preserved with thimerosol.

If the answer to (4) is no, why not?

See above.

I got the vaccine once, and the injection site swelled up with a lump the size of an orange. I learned later about the preservative, and have not gotten the vaccine since. (I have had a known allergy to thimerosol since I was a child, first noticed when Grandma used to use merthiolate on my scrapes, and later when I first tried to wear contact in the early 80’s and all contact solutions were preserve with the stuff.)

I would get the vaccine if I could. I am in a secondary risk group (my husband is chronically ill). But I’m unwilling to risk an allergic reaction, and my allergies in general have gotten worse in the 10 years or so since my last flu shot.

I don’t know anything about thimerosal allergies, but if FluMist is available to you you may want to consider it as it’s thimerosal-free.

Thanks, you saved me typing it.

1 - No
2 - Yes, as soon as they offer it at work
3 - N/A
4- Yes
5 - Yes
6 - I work in healthcare and have an obligation to show up. Also, my daughter can’t get the flu shot, so I feel I should, so at least I’m not giving it to her.