Poll about flu vaccination

Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
Nope.

If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?
Nope.

If the answer to (2) is no, why not?
Never gotten a flu shot, never had the flu.

Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
Maybe. I just found out I can get it for free at work and through my firehouse, so I may get it. I’m undecided.

If the answer to (4) is no, why not?

Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
Nope. Never felt a need, and as I said, I’ve never had the flu.

Please explain your answer to (6).
I’m probably flirting with danger, but I’ve never had a flu shot and I’ve never had the flu. My immune system is pretty good. I work with kids, and I’m also an EMT, so God knows what I’ve been exposed to on a regular basis. (I have had the Hep-B vaccine.) Honestly, I’m not that worked up about it.

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?[/li]
No
[li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?[/li]
If I can scrape up enough money

[li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not?[/li]
Too Poor :slight_smile:

[li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?[/li]
If I can afford it

[li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not?[/li]
No money

[li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?[/li]
Yes

[li]Please explain your answer to (6).[/li][/ol]

Nothing like being underemployed to brighten up your winter LOL

I plan to get the regular flu vaccine when I’m back in the USA next week. I’ll get the H1N1 vaccine when it’s available. I am a potential vector since I travel internationally every 2-3 weeks and think it would be kind of irresponsible for me not to get it.

1. Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No
    2. If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? No
    3. If the answer to (2) is no, why not? Waste of time and perfectly good vaccine
    4. Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? No
    5. If the answer to (4) is no, why not? See #3
    6. Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? No
    7. Please explain your answer to (6). I rarely leave my house, I’m a fatalist, and I sincerely don’t care if I catch something and die.

Hey Hey Paula, there is going to be a limited amount of Thimerosal-free vaccine available. You should ask your doctor to set some aside for you. From the CDC:

1. I got the vaccination back in April, in preparation for (the now finished) winter.
  2. Not specifically. I’ll just get whatever’s being offered next autumn. If it includes H1N1 then that’s fine. It turned out to be a non-event this winter anyway.
  3. Yes, every year.
  4. It’s given to us free at work.

Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
No.

If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?
Yes.

Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
Not sure.

If the answer to (4) is no, why not?
I’m concerned about this vaccine and the rush to make it available. I was pressured into the swine flu shot back in the 70s and got pretty sick from it, so I’m going to need a little convincing that it’s both necessary and safe.

Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
Yes.

1. Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year?
    No.

2. If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually?
    I’m not sure, considering that reports are showing that 70% of flu victims have the H1N1 strain.

3. If the answer to (2) is no, why not?

4. Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available?
    Yes, if I can.

5. If the answer to (4) is no, why not?
    n/a

6. Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu?
    No

7. Please explain your answer to (6).
    “Normal” flus tend to affect the very old and very young the most. I’m neither, and I’ve only been burned once by not being vaccinated, so I haven’t bothered. I want the H1N1 vaccine because the flu isn’t acting normally, and my age group is experiencing more deaths than is typical and I’ve already read that having asthma also leads to poorer outcomes with this strain.

1. Nope

2. Nope

3. My immune system is fairly resilient. I’m a relatively healthy 19 year old. While I suppose the flu could wreak havoc on my grades if it stuck around long enough the only diseases I think I’ve actually gotten in the past that did anything to me was mono once and the flu twice*, and for most of the past few years I was in a marching band that was possibly a little too friendly and “sharing” so not getting it wasn’t exactly a cakewalk (and that’s when I was slightly in the obese range).

4. Nah

5. See 3 for most of it. I’m not in a high risk group, and don’t frequently interact with them. I’m close to the middle of the “correct weight” range, and don’t have asthma, diabetes, HIV, etc so my risks of it getting complicated (if I get it at all) are pretty low if I understand correctly.

6/7. See 3. Also, I’m too lazy to find the nearest place offering it on top of not really needing it.

• Though I did have some weird stress-induced sickness for a while, but I didn’t contract that so much as cause it myself, not really any viruses or angry bacteria invaders from outer space involved there.

Does anyone know if the pig flu vaccine will be available in a mist, how much it costs, and where I can get it?

Needles use to not bother me at all but I’ve inexplicably developed a pretty serious phobia of them. I told myself to quit being a wuss and get the shot this year, and then I watched my son get vaccinated Friday and the needle was THICK, and must’a been 2 inches long :eek::eek::eek:.

Yup, get the flu shot every year (although not yet this year, still recovering from pneumonia) and plan on getting the H1N1 shot.

I have moderate asthma (high risk group) and because of that I’m on a high-ish dose of an inhaled steroid, which makes me more susceptible to lung infections. Going to college on a large campus that is already reporting a lot of flu-like illness, I’m likely to be exposed.

Last year’s flu shot did not work for me and I still became ill anyway in February (in bed for a week), complete with asthma attack and lingering cough that blossomed into pneumonia this summer. I accept that the flu vaccine is imperfect but still think that it is much better than nothing (i.e. reduces the likelihood that I will get sick).

Just so you know, the high-risk group fro H1N1 is not the same as for the seasonal flu.

1. Yes, just last week.
  2. N/A
  3. N/A
  4. I haven’t decided yet. I’m waiting for more information, but it’s likely that I will.
  5. N/A
  6. Yes
  7. While I’m not high-risk, my wife is. I do this to help prevent bringing it home to her (she very rarely leaves the house, so I’m the only vector she has to deal with). Plus, as a police officer, I have a great deal of exposure to the flu from lots of people.

[ol]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not? With the thousands of possible flu strains out there, how good are they at picking the three that will actually be prevalent?[/li][li]Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (4) is no, why not? Because it’s not a concern for me.[/li][li]Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? No.[/li][li]Please explain your answer to (6). Don’t see the reason.[/li][/ol]

[quote=“Avarie537, post:54, topic:509850”]

[LIST=1]
[li]Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (1) is no, do you plan to do so eventually? No.[/li][li]If the answer to (2) is no, why not? With the thousands of possible flu strains out there, how good are they at picking the three that will actually be prevalent?[/li][/QUOTE]
Here’s one study that examined a recent ten-year period and found good to excellent matching of the seasonal flu vaccine with prevalent virus strains in 8 of 10 years. When the match is good, the vaccine averages 70-75% effectiveness in preventing infection (depending on the study population; if your immune status is subpar the vaccine tends to not work as well.
When the match is less good, protection ranges from 60% to considerably lower. The problem is that flu strains mutate so frequently and it’s hard to predict what you’ll be facing by the time the vaccine is available.

As we head into the flu season and news stories about flu vaccine availability increase, we’re predictably seeing an increase in activity from the antivax crowd. One well-known antivaxer has even recorded an anti-H1N1 vaccine song (caution - listening to this could prove deleterious to brain function).

Rubystreak is reading my mind again.

Well, many years they’re very good at it. You don’t think they’re sitting around randomly picking 3 strains out of a thousand to vaccinate against, do you?

Is it okay if I come to your house and take my pickings of all your stuff first? I mean, since you’re a fatalist anyway.

You may wish to check with CVS or Walgreens in your area; I understand some locations are giving out free vaccines to the unemployed. I don’t know the details, sadly.

1. Have you gotten the vaccination for the seasonal flu yet this year? Yes
  2. Do you plan to get the vaccination for the H1N1 flu when it is available? Yes
  3. Do you generally get vaccinated for the flu? Yes
  4. Please explain your answer to (6). Ummm…so I don’t get the flu?