He wants to go for coffee!!!!

I’m in shock. Absolute shock. Reality has temporarily been suspended. A dreamy, elated, and hyper-energetic state has taken its place.

A guy who I’ve had a crush on for the last, oh, 5 months has sent me an e-mail. He wants to go for coffee. He wants to go for coffee, coffee, coffeeeeee!!! WOO-HOOOOO!!! I waited until I could think rationally to reply to the e-mail without sounding too eager and then, as calmly as possible, wrote out a response.

I’ve been skipping and waltzing around the lab for the last several hours. (No-one’s here, so it’s not like anyone is going to think me a bigger freak than they already do.) It’s almost 6 am. I have lots of things to do. I’ve got a thesis to work on, scientific literature to read, meetings to prepare for. Not to mention that I’ve also got to do a bunch of stuff before Pesach starts.

But I just don’t care. I don’t care. I just can’t focus on any of that stuff at all. I’ve been doing nothing but daydreaming and bouncing off the walls, checking my e-mail every 20 seconds to see if he’s written back yet. (I’d expect that he’s in bed about now, and it’s completely ridiculous to think that he’d be typing up messages in a sleepwalking trance. Actually, part of me hopes that he’s losing sleep himself, since he’s gotten my reply–a calm, rational, “yes, that would be nice, but I’ll be out of town until Monday evening. We could work out a time after that, though”–and is wondering if he’d look desperate if he answered it at 5:30 am.)

I ought to chill out, really. There’s no guarantee that he’s even interested in a date–maybe he just wants a friendly, no-pressure conversation. He’s been out of the country for the past several months, so maybe he’s just looking for someone who also likes to travel to talk to. Besides, I thought he had a girlfriend. (I could, of course, be wrong–I hope I am. AFAIK, nobody I know is really sure whether or not this guy’s attached.) So I shouldn’t be too ecstatic about this. I should take a Tao of Steve approach, I suppose–calm, cool, relaxed.

But I just can’t. I think I’m physically unable to do so. Boing! Boing! Boing! Boing! Boooooooing!!!

He’s smart. He’s beautiful. He’s got a good sense of humor and a wonderfully wicked twinkle in his eye when he thinks something’s funny. And he wants to have coffee with the likes of me.

Yippeeeeeee!!!

Well, that post is at least worth an attagirl and a “good luck”.

Why thank you, Priceguy.

And I’ll need the encouragement. This date’s (if it is a date–after all, it’s just coffee. That’s going to be my mantra today, at least until I get another message from him) going to be at least partially in Spanish.

He’s Mexican, with a pretty impressive–though not completely fluent–command of English. I’m American, with a decent–though definitely not fluent–command of Spanish. I was very flattered and impressed that he wrote me his e-mail in English. It meant that he was willing to talk to me in the language I’m most comfortable in, even if it meant looking less polished in front of me. (We’d had a very brief correspondence in Spanish before.)

So now I’m hoping to beef up my vocab and ease of grammatical constructions before I see him.

Yow!!

I have serious butterflies in my stomach. (Hay muchas mariposas en el estomago.) But I’ll bet that’s not the metaphor that would be used by a native speaker. Drat!

:smiley: Your joy is just so infectious. Good luck with it, cutie. I hope it works out well, for you. :slight_smile:

Oooh, Latin… Mrrrrow.

Have fun, Scribbs!

You know, I didn’t get any sleep last night and after reading this thread, I don’t know if I’ll ever sleep again.

[Broomhandle on ceiling]

Keep it down in there! Some people gotta work, ya know!!

[/Brookmhandle on ceiling]

Luck, luck, and more luck. Hope the coffee turns into a date.

Good bet. “Tengo un salto de estomago”, or my stomach is jumping is the phrase you’re looking for.

Maybe you should back off on the coffee for a while… maybe a hot chocolate?

Don’t forget to breathe when you meet up. It’s very important.

And let us know what happens - we need to know these things.

Could you put it down as an innocent mistranslation?

I’m sorry. You said coffee? I thought you wanted to shag like minks.

I second the recommendation for cocoa. Or we’ll have to start calling you Pogo.

Most importantly, have fun, and you will be fun.

[Izzard]Then sex is on, yes?[/Izzard]

I don’t get all they joy. Sure, he wants to go for coffee… I want to go for coffee about five times a day, and that doesn’t mean that… wait…

:smack:
You mean he asked you to go WITH him?!?

Best of luck, Scribble… :slight_smile:

Are you sure you are in “nowhere interesting”, Scribble? Sounds like a very interesting place, what with you dancing in the lab!

Your infectious joy raised my spirits. Enjoy!

i wonder if said guy is one of the regulars here and has seen your post, scribble!
have a nice time, though. :slight_smile:

Okay.

So he replied to my most recent e-mail. Coffee at some point next week. Rock on.

Aasna– I very much doubt that he’s a regular on this board for a whole bunch of reasons. I strongly suspect that his friends probably aren’t, either, so I don’t think I’m at much risk. (Anybody who knows who I am and who would know who this guy is isn’t going to squeal on me, either, because that person is my friend.)

But now, on second thought–well, what if he did hang out on this board?

I think I’d die of embarrassment. And now I’m feeling paranoid.

I know the Cardinal Rule of any messageboard posting–never post anything you wouldn’t want to see on a billboard. When I first wrote the OP, I wanted to climb onto the roof and shout it out to the entire planet and do backflips for joy.

Now I feel otherwise. Posting this–and adding information that might possibly identify me or the guy–was a really stupid move.

Is there any way to get rid of this thread?

goodness! i had no intentions of raining on your parade, scribble! it was just a mildly amusing thought…

relax…it’ll be okay. after all, i’m sure there’s at least one other woman somewhere who got asked out for coffee!

please continue backflipping. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Scribble.

I remember when a guy I liked asked me for coffee. I was hyper hyper hyper.

I went swimming that day. Jumped off the 10 meter diving tower, which I have never done before or since, as I am somewhat afraid of heights, and even more afraid.of looking like an idiot, splaying and belly flopping and all that.

But it helped that day. Took the edge off. Also when we talked I mentioned how I like swimming, and although I dont dive pretty I have been known to leap from the 10 meter tower.

Hee hee. Athletic -by-proxy.

Seriously have fun. I envy you. Dates–and “coffees” are fun. Im married now and I never dated my husband.

He DOES hang out on this board. And I KNOW him. Good lord!

Seriously, congrats, Scribble! Hope it goes well. :slight_smile: