Help! Can anyone ID this early '70s kids show?

I’m trying to remember the name of show that likely aired around '71 or '72. It was a live-action color show with kids, sorta in the Our Gang/Little Rascals vein. From the minute bits and pieces I remember, the kids (or one of them) had a little (green?) soapbox race car and I think it had a “5” on it with a white circle around it. I think they had a clubhouse, a dog, and there were a lot of high wooden fences around their neighborhood. I don’t think this series was ever popular enough to warrant its own lunchbox, but I do think I saw a coloring book based on this show. I’m not sure what network it aired on, but if I had to guess, I think it was on ABC. I’m 37 and if you’re in your late 30s or 40s, you may have a better handle and memory on the time frame.

I know the show is NOT …

• Speed Racer, even though Speed’s car the Mach 5 had a “5” on it, I know the show I’m looking for was live-action.
  • Wonder Bug, even though this was live-action, the kids here were at least in their teens (or supposed to be), and aired later.
  • Speed Buggy, another animated show.

I wanna say the title wasn’t necessarily about the car, but the gang of kids themselves. I’m sorry I don’t have more to go on than that.

Some of the recent threads have had me wax nostalgic and I thinking back to the first shows that I can ever remember seeing on tv. I’ve ID’d some that have stumped me via Google (like Popeye and the Man Who Hated Laughter), but I haven’t had any luck when I tried to find the answer on my own for this show. Right now, I’d just like someone to corroborate that they saw a similiar program around that time at least. If you can name the show, I’d really appreciate it. THANKS!

I found an archive of the now-defunct Yesterdayland.com (R.I.P.). You can try going through the list of shows.

I was born in 1970, so I can’t recall the show from your description. I was probably still drooling on myself. :smiley:

Hey ussentinel,

Nothing in your description sounds familiar to me, other than the fact that you’re thinking of an in-color show with live action kids, but I recall a TV show I knew as “The Doubledecker Gang.” The only thing I remember about it was that the “kids” hung out in an old London bus. Doing a web search, I come up with this site: http://www.70slivekidvid.com/doubdeck.htm. I don’t remember any of the plots or any other details, but this seems to be the show of my memory. I was born in 1963 and remember this as being around the same era as “Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp.” Let me know if this is what you’re looking for, and even if it isn’t but brings back some other memories.

Kath

Was it a Saturday morning show?

Is it possible it was syndicated? In that case, telling us where you lived when you watched it would help.

You can go through pages like this at tv party.

Nutty Bunny, THANKS for the link. I couldn’t access it from my present location, but I am familiar with the site; very appreciated!

MaleBox, THANKS for that link. I was on that site while trying to find my answer. (It’s a great site and confirmed a show called “Muggsy” aired on NBC in 1976-77.) No one my age seems to remember that show. I don’t remember if the show I was looking for was a necessarily a Saturday morning show or not. I lived in Memphis, TN at the time.

Kath, YES … I think the show HAD to be the Double Deckers. I did remember it had an alliterative title (though I thought it might have been a “S,” I wasn’t sure). Even though my description was VERY weak, the cast photo does have a dog, a “Waldo”-looking character and a chubby boy, reminiscent to me of the Little Rascals. The link shows the program did air on ABC from 9/12/70 to 9/17/72 which was in the right time period. The link shows a screen capture of a stuffed Tiger as “Tiger” in the credits which struck a “Hey yeah, I remember that now” chord in my brain. Further, there’s a link on your link to a Double Deckers collectible page. On it, there’s a lunchbox and coloring book there, both of which depict the cast hiding behind a tall wooden fence (another, “Hey, that looks familiar” brain ping). THIS had to be the show! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I’m sorry I didn’t remember more to go on, but I was only around age 5 at the time. Weird what you sometimes remember (and yeah, I sure remember Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp … with Ali Assasin, Mata Hairi … member of A.P.E. vs. C.H.U.M.P).